• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Hey hey. 1st post here - the standard "long time lurker" who finally signed up and is getting involved. In the process of placing an order through Kyle at Baker's for my first pair of Whites. You all are wealth of knowledge, so I'm looking to capitalize.

Specifically curious to hear any first-hand experience regarding Commando half-soles versus Danite. Convince me one way or another!

Will be ordering an MP boot in some form or fashion (TBD if it will be built on the MP last or 55, per a future conversation with Kyle. He has my foot sheet currently). I'll be using them for a mixture of uses -- city life with occasional outdoor adventures. I work in the film industry, so I find myself in various outdoor settings throughout the year, and my Red Wings have done a decent job (thanks to some insoles for actual support). I'm not looking to be overly-dressy or fancy with these, but not going to complain if they clean up well. Versatility is never bad. Likely going for Cinnamon Waxed Flesh.

Also, brownie points for anyone who posts photos of their MPs in the wild. I see tons of great boot model pics, but I've yet to see very many photos of MP Commando makeup in-action. Just the staged stuff in boot reviews or styled photos via White's socials. It can be hard to really get a feel for what a boot looks like in context when the camera is 2 inches away.

Cheers, and many thanks!

I have a pair of service boots on Dainite and of all of the soles I own it is by far my least favorite. It's slick as **** on any sort of wet surface. I've even slipped on smooth, dry marble and tile floors. Rock hard, so very little shock absorption, and very thin so every little pebble jabs right into my foot. The only reason I can see wanting this sole on purpose is if you don't have experience with anything else, or if you just want slightly more longevity than a leather sole but still maintain a sleek look and are willing to make all the associated sacrifices.

Here are my commando-soled MPs:

imwalker

Reaction score
Hey White's gang, I have a question for anyone who has MP boots with the commando half sole. I received a pair of these yesterday and each boot has a convex bump sticking out the bottom on the leather portion of the sole. I am assuming it is from the shank, but it seems to stick so far down that when I walk on hard floor the boots roll from side to side as if this bump is sticking farther down than the rubber portions of the sole. Has anyone else experienced this? There is a similar bump on the Bounty Hunters I got but their heels are so much higher that it is unnoticeable when wearing.

Here are some photos of the Bounty Hunters. I've thought I was a D width my whole life, but these are 10.5E on the left and 10.5EE on the right, and are instantly the best-fitting footwear I've ever worn.

wordfool

Reaction score
Hey White's gang, I have a question for anyone who has MP boots with the commando half sole. I received a pair of these yesterday and each boot has a convex bump sticking out the bottom on the leather portion of the sole. I am assuming it is from the shank, but it seems to stick so far down that when I walk on hard floor the boots roll from side to side as if this bump is sticking farther down than the rubber portions of the sole. Has anyone else experienced this? There is a similar bump on the Bounty Hunters I got but their heels are so much higher that it is unnoticeable when wearing.

Here are some photos of the Bounty Hunters. I've thought I was a D width my whole life, but these are 10.5E on the left and 10.5EE on the right, and are instantly the best-fitting footwear I've ever worn.

Nice Bounty Hunters -- I have pretty much the same build in black dress!

Here's a photo of my MP sole -- there's a definite shank ridge on the exposed leather portion (though less of a ridge than the 55 last) and the ridge extends a tiny bit into the back of the rubber sole, raising the center-rear lug slightly higher than the rest. When the boot is resting on the ground off my foot it does rock slightly side to side (maybe a 1/4" or less) but I don't notice it at all when walking.

PXL_20210302_165125387.jpg

imwalker

Reaction score
Hard to judge without any pictures at all of the boots you're curious about. You've told us what it feels like, but does the shank bulge actually go lower than the sole?

That would be helpful wouldn't it! Here are a couple photos, it is pretty hard to capture in photo.
IMG_6925.jpeg

It seems to be roughly even with the furthest back "cross" shaped tread on the sole (circled the area).

IMG_6926-1.jpeg

Nice Bounty Hunters -- I have pretty much the same build in black dress!

Here's a photo of my MP sole -- there's a definite shank ridge on the exposed leather portion (though less of a ridge than the 55 last) and the ridge extends a tiny bit into the back of the rubber sole, raising the center-rear lug slightly higher than the rest. When the boot is resting on the ground off my foot it does rock slightly side to side (maybe a 1/4" or less) but I don't notice it at all when walking.

View attachment 1565784

Hmm, it seems like mine might be a bigger bump than yours. I definitely noticed a side-to-side rolling as soon as I walked onto hardwood. It seems like it could compress with wear but I would want to be sure before wearing them enough to do it. I reached out to Baker's yesterday but haven't heard back yet. I'll sit tight :)

Thanks for your help.

wordfool

Reaction score
Hmm, it seems like mine might be a bigger bump than yours. I definitely noticed a side-to-side rolling as soon as I walked onto hardwood. It seems like it could compress with wear but I would want to be sure before wearing them enough to do it. I reached out to Baker's yesterday but haven't heard back yet. I'll sit tight :)

Bear in mind that I've already walked about 30 miles on those so the sole has no doubt flattened out a bit. I can't remember how they felt when new, but I suspect you have nothing to worry about and your sole will also flatten over time.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I think I vaguely remember a similar feeling in my MPs when new that has long since corrected itself.

imwalker

Reaction score
This seems reassuring :) I'm not that worried about it, but it'd be a bummer to find out this was a permanent thing after wearing them beyond the point of return.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hooray, shipping notices after 81 days since ordering! Some Veg Tan BHs and SDs are on the way here
Hooray, shipping notices after 81 days since ordering! Some Veg Tan BHs and SDs are on the way here
Good news ?
What are the colors and types of leather? W&C veg tan?

samuelbaber

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just made a styleforum account just to post on this thread.

I finally received my Black Friday order; my first pair of White's...
boot.jpg

Black Horse Hide
Hardware: All Nickel Eyes
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
Edge: Brown
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Height: 7"Lace Design: Plain Toe
Last: Classic 461 Last
Leather Half Slip: No thanks
Leather Liner: Black
Lineman/Side Patch: No Thanks
Midsole: Single
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Sole: Vibram Composition Half Sole
Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Logos / Embossing: No logos or Embossing
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Size - Length: 9.5Size - Width: D (medium)

I love them. But, I have a question: could these possibly have a double midsole? They look chunkier than I expected.

Last edited:

Woodtroll

Reaction score

View attachment 1566119
Black Horse Hide

I love them. But, I have a question: could these possibly have a double midsole? They look chunkier than I expected.

Welcome! Those are nice boots.

The half-sole outer sole gets another midsole, in effect, to facilitate the attachment of the half-sole. So, yes, effectively you have a double midsole that is standard with a half outer sole.

samuelbaber

Reaction score
Welcome! Those are nice boots.

The half-sole outer sole gets another midsole, in effect, to facilitate the attachment of the half-sole. So, yes, effectively you have a double midsole that is standard with a half outer sole.
I see! Because the outer sole is so thin, there must be more midsole to even it out. Thanks Woodtroll.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1566119
Black Horse Hide

The Nickel hardware looks great on black leather, I am thinking contrast stitching and natural sole would make it even more "bold" and casual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads