• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Woodtroll

Reaction score

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:( my Red Dog roughouts were screwed up... Ended up canceling the order (in lieu of remakes) and taking credit at Bakers... Super disappointing after waiting 11 weeks

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:( my Red Dog roughouts were screwed up... Ended up canceling the order (in lieu of remakes) and taking credit at Bakers... Super disappointing after waiting 11 weeks
What happened?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were built in the wrong size
Unbelievable... and it only took 11 weeks for them to realize it... seriously.

This is beyond bad QC, this would be laughable if it were not for the fact that @PACostag is suffering for their incompetence. I would say getting the size right is a pretty fundamental part of building a custom boot, no? I actually had a glimmer of hope that the bonehead mistakes were a thing of the past.

It is fortunate that Baker's sells many brands... you can hopefully use your credit to get a bootmaker who will actually make you a boot in the size you order...

American manufacturing... the envy of the world... SMH...

@PACostag , I am sorry this happened to you...

theofficialhung

Reaction score

Do you at least get a discount off a future order since you took credit instead of a full refund? I highly recommend Wesco if you have any interest in that brand. I have a pair of Hendriks, they're the most well built boots in my collection so far (my Whites BH haven't arrived yet).

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not really a Bakers issue, so I didn't push for anything as he assured me the order was submitted correctly on their end (which I have to believe was true after ordering like two dozen pairs of boots over the last few years - pretty sure Kyle could nail the specs on a boot order if you just said "Paul wants to order a pair"). And I believe him that the order was submitted correctly in the first place, regardless of the number of boots ordered in the past. Probably just a "we're low staffed, new hands on deck" kind of mistake from White's... But after 11 weeks, common, I'm basically only wearing sandals over here waiting...

wordfool

Reaction score
Unbelievable... and it only took 11 weeks for them to realize it... seriously.

This is beyond bad QC, this would be laughable if it were not for the fact that @PACostag is suffering for their incompetence. I would say getting the size right is a pretty fundamental part of building a custom boot, no? I actually had a glimmer of hope that the bonehead mistakes were a thing of the past.

It is fortunate that Baker's sells many brands... you can hopefully use your credit to get a bootmaker who will actually make you a boot in the size you order...

American manufacturing... the envy of the world... SMH...

@PACostag , I am sorry this happened to you...

I'd be fascinated to know where in the order/build chain the mistake occurred. I wonder, for example, how automated the order process is and whether some mistakes happen in the order communication between Baker's and White's, or if they're all at White's end.

Not that it ultimately matters, of course -- QC mistakes are being made, customers are having to deal with the inconveniences (usually in the form of longer waits to get fixes), and I'm sure White's is taking losses on materials and labor costs to put things right (although it was Baker's that fixed the QC snafu on my past pair of BHs).

EDIT: just saw @PACostag absolve Baker's of blame, so something's not working right at White's. I don't doubt White's has suffered through the pandemic in terms of staff and working conditions, but QC is surely about systems being in place, not people.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Venting post about Wickett & Craig...

I've been working on a hide order directly with W&C for some burgundy veg tan. Always a sucker for a burgundy hide. I place the order for the leather, a month or two goes by, and it eventually arrives in Eugene, then off to Spokane. We're all set and Kyle is good to go with the order. I get word the other day that the hide is unusable given its firmness, so I reach out to W&C, who supply leather for the footwear industry and know the temperament that is needed for the leather to work. Paraphrasing the reply I got from W&C, I should have known what I was ordering and that they "only sometimes make suggestions" about hides. This was the bit that got me - if they felt like making a suggestion, if they felt like expressing their knowledge of the industry and their hides, there would be no issues, but they couldn't be bothered. The knew full well that it was bound for footwear, and the people I worked with were their sales reps who supply leather to the footwear industry, so they should know their business and the requirements of their products. They should know better... This makes me feel duped and that they were purely chasing a sale.

They have a process in-house they could have done to the hide called staking which softens a firm hide, however chose not to do it and did not "feel like" alerting me that this process was even a thing, let alone needed to even make the hide usable in footwear. You may say, well you should have known what you were buying - I was. I got samples from them and the sample of this particular leather I received was very soft and pliable, so no fear of it not lasting properly, so I was informed and I clearly noted on numerous occasions to them what the leather was bound for, but got no "hold on a sec, this will be a very firm hide and won't work for footwear. Also, sorry the sample we sent you is completely unrepresentative of what the hide will be like."

Anyways, long story short if you read my rant, W&C has lost my business... Although I'm still excited to get my two plain veg tans that are on order..

On to good developments of the day...

W&C has agreed to a refund given the situation. Although not the easiest process, I'm glad they have stepped in to make a bad situation better. Still very frustrating, as can be imagined even by someone completely uninvolved in the situation, but I'm happy to report W&C (with the help of Kyle at Bakers) has made it right.

I wash my hands of this

1614223929547.png

ThreeLions

Reaction score
On to good developments of the day...

W&C has agreed to a refund given the situation. Although not the easiest process, I'm glad they have stepped in to make a bad situation better. Still very frustrating, as can be imagined even by someone completely uninvolved in the situation, but I'm happy to report W&C (with the help of Kyle at Bakers) has made it right.

I wash my hands of this

View attachment 1562200

The leatherworker in me want's to know.... What's happened to the Burgundy Veg Tan side?

klank74

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any Whites with a half slip? I’m already planning my second pair of work boots and thinking about trying this option for extra support versus going with a double midsole again. How do you like it? Any pics of your boots with it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads