• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. The price and wait time on those boots sure makes a pair of White’s even more attractive.
Indeed, the boot looks great, but I have no idea of my sizing in the NS40 last, and am disinclined to pay $1,400 and wait 18 months to find out.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Indeed, the boot looks great, but I have no idea of my sizing in the NS40 last, and am disinclined to pay $1,400 and wait 18 months to find out.

And if you buy the type of boots, like these, with the "already worn-in" look, do you expect them to have perfect stitching, creasing, etc.??? For that amount of money I'd expect them to be darn-near perfect, but if they are supposed to be already beat-up, does it really matter? These kinds of conundrums drive me crazy! :crazy: :)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And if you buy the type of boots, like these, with the "already worn-in" look, do you expect them to have perfect stitching, creasing, etc.??? For that amount of money I'd expect them to be darn-near perfect, but if they are supposed to be already beat-up, does it really matter? These kinds of conundrums drive me crazy! :crazy: :)
For that price, the client should at least get to choose the leather haha. Not my cup of tea, but for that much money I'd want more options as however he's treating the leather it just looks bad.

climbinglife

Reaction score
I've seen these boots up close and they are absolutely worth every penny, and in talking to the owner of them and his experience with Kreosote, I wouldn't hesitate if i had the funds.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Washed & conditioned the Red Dog’s this weekend.

Next time I'll get a pic before conditioning. The saddle soap wash lightens up RD significantly and reveals some unique character around wear points. VSC does a great job revitalizing the leather & restores the factory color with a mild shine.

IMG_1132_jpg.JPG
IMG_1137_jpg.JPG
IMG_1147_jpg.JPG

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Next time I'll get a pic before conditioning. The saddle soap wash lightens up RD significantly and reveals some unique character around wear points. VSC does a great job revitalizing the leather & restores the factory color with a mild shine.

View attachment 1559894

Love the profile of these boots.. possible to list the specs? Thank you

klank74

Reaction score

View attachment 1559893 View attachment 1559894 View attachment 1559895
I just got some Red Dog SJ’s for work, but the look of yours makes me want to get my next casual pair in Red Dog too. I’m afraid to use saddle soap on anything anymore. Last time I used it, it stripped some color off my favorite pair of redwing chukkas. I can get the bad spot to match after conditioning them, but after about a week, it gets light and soaks up all kinds of dirt. I’ve been using just straight water if they aren’t bad, and Dawn dish soap on my work boots.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man those red dogs look fantastic! way better looking with some age on them (and they looked great fresh out of the box). I have some RD roughouts on the way - it was a tough choice between that and smoothout. I hope they look half as good as yours

montanamike

Reaction score

iamntbatman

Reaction score

Well, he won't even make the boots without detailed measurements and fit sheets at the least, or an in-person measure if you're able. From what I understand modifications to the last to fit your foot exactly are the norm. Not quite the multiple fittings and purely custom last of true bespoke, but about as close to that as you get. A big part of the cost of those boots is that everything is truly handmade by one man. All of his tools are pre-electricity manual machines or hand tools. I haven't actually contacted the guy yet, but I can't imagine that, for that kind of money, he wouldn't be open to using whatever sort of leather you might want so long as he felt comfortable working with it.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, he won't even make the boots without detailed measurements and fit sheets at the least, or an in-person measure if you're able. From what I understand modifications to the last to fit your foot exactly are the norm. Not quite the multiple fittings and purely custom last of true bespoke, but about as close to that as you get. A big part of the cost of those boots is that everything is truly handmade by one man. All of his tools are pre-electricity manual machines or hand tools. I haven't actually contacted the guy yet, but I can't imagine that, for that kind of money, he wouldn't be open to using whatever sort of leather you might want so long as he felt comfortable working with it.
I think the gentleman who makes these boots sounds like an artist hence the higher prices (no sarcasm). I am sure he can only make a limited number of boots based on the types of machines you mentioned. I would love to see some pics (from customers).

John Frum

Reaction score
Red Dog smooth.

I have brown and black dress, brown HH, and red dog smooth. Owned and flipped black CXL If I was forced to keep just one, it would be tough to choose between HH and RDS.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics