• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
You mean that hybrid propriety Vibram sole on the Okanogan? It looks cool, but is not really the look I'm going for with this boot. I was after a half sole, so if I go with Vibram it will be the 705. But, I think I'd rather go with either the Dr. Sole raw cord half sole, or the burlap one, if the cork ones are unavailable.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I need some help with Whites sizing. I want to order a pair of MPs with the W&C Latigo leather, and I need help deciding between the 55 or M&P last.

In the past I sent in a fit sheet with Bakers and was recommended a 9E. That led me to three pairs of boots, two of which have the 55 last - a pair of horsehide bounty hunters and 350 cutters from whites. The other pair are Main Streets.

Love both the bounty hunter and 350, but they definitely are too short and my middle toes are hitting the ends of the boots towards the outside edge of each boot.

I also have a pair of Main Streets from whites in a 9EE. I ordered a double E partially due to my own ignorance at the time, as that was the only E option on the whites website when I ordered them. The main streets are the most comfortable for me of the three, definitely too wide being a double E and my toes are still hitting the outside edge, although not as bad as the 55 last boots.

I want to order another pair, but I am hesitant because of sizing. Bakers recommended that if I order another pair in the 55 last I go to a 9.5D, which makes sense. However, I think the MP last of the Main Street works better for my foot, and I am not sure which size I should get.

The photos are the main streets, and I circled where my toes hit the boots ok all three pairs. Again, the main streets aren’t as bad.
I ordered BHs with EE width in the ball area but E in heels, you might want to discuss similar build with Baker's.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
As promised, pictures of the new boots.

First, the build specs:

Ordered: 10/16/2020
Delivered: 01/25/2021
White's 350-C Smokejumper
Last: 4811
Leather : Brown Elk Tan
Toe Cap: Dress Toe Cap
Toe Box: Single Celastic
Height: 6”
Leather Liner: No
Sole Trim: Standard
Top: Rolled Top
Eyelet Color: Brass
Eyelet Configuration : Hook and Eyelet
Top Garment: Eyelet
False Tongue: Standard
Sole: #700 full comp sole
Heel Shape: Standard Logger Heal
Heel Height: Standard
Midsole: Standard Single
Midsole/Edge Color: Brown
Size - Length: 12 ½
Size - Width: C

NG9p1Fc.jpg

TMQvu8Q.jpg

6QoguZ8.jpg

BGvYbDF.jpg

x45peKM.jpg

5DwJjJN.jpg

fKQPjHo.jpg

OKE8v2h.jpg

I made two new Kilties for the boots with out the crinkle cut bottoms.

FhucICd.jpg

hj4cCad.jpg

ywAMS9g.jpg

I think that White's nailed it with this pair. I absolutely love them and the arches are nice and high (4818 last used not the 55). This is my first pair with the Vibram #700, and they are significantly heavier than the #269 sole on my SD's. These defiantly feel more rugged.

I'm happy with it all. The leather used, the stitching, the workmanship. Also, I don't know what leather they used in the tongue, but holy cow, that stuff is super thick and incredibly soft - love it.

Since it's often posted on here what blemishes there are in a build, I went looking for some. To be clear, I'd give these boots an A+, so please don't take this as a compliant. I'm thrilled with how these tuned out. But for those that want to see any possible flaws...

On the right boot, on the inside edge of the rolled top there are some scratches.
On the right boot, the sole edge near the toe was sanded a little closer to the stitches than on the left.
On the right boot, the heal stack has a slightly larger heel shelf than on the left boot. (You can see this in the pic looking down from above behind.)
On the left boot, the backstay/pull loop is not perfectly centered on the centerline.

That's it, and that's only with a supper picky eye. These are some tough boots, not some dandified fashion wear. I can't find anything on these boots that I would complain about. They came exactly as I ordered.

Thanks White's!

Woodtroll

Reaction score
As promised, pictures of the new boots.

First, the build specs:

Ordered: 10/16/2020
Delivered: 01/25/2021
White's 350-C Smokejumper
Last: 4811
Leather : Brown Elk Tan
Toe Cap: Dress Toe Cap
Toe Box: Single Celastic
Height: 6”
Leather Liner: No
Sole Trim: Standard
Top: Rolled Top
Eyelet Color: Brass
Eyelet Configuration : Hook and Eyelet
Top Garment: Eyelet
False Tongue: Standard
Sole: #700 full comp sole
Heel Shape: Standard Logger Heal
Heel Height: Standard
Midsole: Standard Single
Midsole/Edge Color: Brown
Size - Length: 12 ½
Size - Width: C

NG9p1Fc.jpg

TMQvu8Q.jpg

6QoguZ8.jpg

BGvYbDF.jpg

x45peKM.jpg

5DwJjJN.jpg

fKQPjHo.jpg

OKE8v2h.jpg

I made two new Kilties for the boots with out the crinkle cut bottoms.

FhucICd.jpg

hj4cCad.jpg

ywAMS9g.jpg

I think that White's nailed it with this pair. I absolutely love them and the arches are nice and high (4818 last used not the 55). This is my first pair with the Vibram #700, and they are significantly heavier than the #269 sole on my SD's. These defiantly feel more rugged.

I'm happy with it all. The leather used, the stitching, the workmanship. Also, I don't know what leather they used in the tongue, but holy cow, that stuff is super thick and incredibly soft - love it.

Since it's often posted on here what blemishes there are in a build, I went looking for some. To be clear, I'd give these boots an A+, so please don't take this as a compliant. I'm thrilled with how these tuned out. But for those that want to see any possible flaws...

On the right boot, on the inside edge of the rolled top there are some scratches.
On the right boot, the sole edge near the toe was sanded a little closer to the stitches than on the left.
On the right boot, the heal stack has a slightly larger heel shelf than on the left boot. (You can see this in the pic looking down from above behind.)
On the left boot, the backstay/pull loop is not perfectly centered on the centerline.

That's it, and that's only with a supper picky eye. These are some tough boots, not some dandified fashion wear. I can't find anything on these boots that I would complain about. They came exactly as I ordered.

Thanks White's!

Sharp looking boots! Congratulations!

John Frum

Reaction score
Any pics of them post treatment? I have a Red Dog lace to toe SJ’s ordered for work and I was curious how they look after treatment. I’ve been using Huberds which turns leather almost as dark as HDLP, but seems to lighten up more/quicker.
Hello all, I need some help with Whites sizing. I want to order a pair of MPs with the W&C Latigo leather, and I need help deciding between the 55 or M&P last.

In the past I sent in a fit sheet with Bakers and was recommended a 9E. That led me to three pairs of boots, two of which have the 55 last - a pair of horsehide bounty hunters and 350 cutters from whites. The other pair are Main Streets.

Love both the bounty hunter and 350, but they definitely are too short and my middle toes are hitting the ends of the boots towards the outside edge of each boot.

I also have a pair of Main Streets from whites in a 9EE. I ordered a double E partially due to my own ignorance at the time, as that was the only E option on the whites website when I ordered them. The main streets are the most comfortable for me of the three, definitely too wide being a double E and my toes are still hitting the outside edge, although not as bad as the 55 last boots.

I want to order another pair, but I am hesitant because of sizing. Bakers recommended that if I order another pair in the 55 last I go to a 9.5D, which makes sense. However, I think the MP last of the Main Street works better for my foot, and I am not sure which size I should get.

The photos are the main streets, and I circled where my toes hit the boots ok all three pairs. Again, the main streets aren’t as bad.

Shackelford r. shackleford, (great choice of username!),

I have a similar shaped foot, including skinny ankles which causes the eyelets to almost touch. I wound up changing lasts to get something close. My toes still barely touch the boot. My options were a) custom last or b) get as close as possible. I took option B.
I'd talk to Kyle again. Combination lasts are another option you might consider.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bakers did a resole for me last year & White's did a rebuild for me last year. I preferred Baker's & thought they did excellent work. The communication with Bakers was friendly and helpful as always.
Just wanted to give folks here an update - I reached out to both White's and Bakers. For a simple re-sole White's quoted $178 plus tax and shipping.
Bakers $150 (no tax) plus shipping.
Whites was a quicker turn around, Bakers 8-10 weeks.

Given @hoppy_IPA s post, I chose Bakers even though it was a few weeks more time (but about $40 less). I'll report back in a few months when I get them back.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give folks here an update - I reached out to both White's and Bakers. For a simple re-sole White's quoted $178 plus tax and shipping.
Bakers $150 (no tax) plus shipping.
Whites was a quicker turn around, Bakers 8-10 weeks.

Given @hoppy_IPA s post, I chose Bakers even though it was a few weeks more time (but about $40 less). I'll report back in a few months when I get them back.
Thanks for the update, so paying for shipping back and forth will make it around $200?

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@chicagoan2016 @johng70
You may enquire about having Bakers send you a shipping label & have them bill it out. They may be able to get you a better rate & save you from waiting in line to ship.

Netvine

Reaction score

Gribble, I got sized in 55/4811 by bakers to 8.5D. They fit perfectly, but the fit is exact and doesn’t fit thick socks as well as I would like. Also, leather shrinks when it goes through wet/dry cycles.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gribble, I got sized in 55/4811 by bakers to 8.5D. They fit perfectly, but the fit is exact and doesn’t fit thick socks as well as I would like. Also, leather shrinks when it goes through wet/dry cycles.

Leather stretches and breaks in to your foot. Use quality shoe trees to prevent any shrinking or curving of the foot bed.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing my W&C Latigo BH pretty much all week except for a day or two where I went to JL engineers to give my feet a break.

I went down half a size from my usual 11.5, which I wear in most boots/shoes to an 11 as there was a little bit of extra room. I'm on the fence about this decision. If these were HH, it would have been the wrong decision for sure as HH is known not to stretch. My HH are 11.5 and I think that is the right size on those as they do fit a bit tighter than my CXL. My John Lofgrens (except the engineer boots where I went with 11.5) I went with 11 too. Those fit snug and my left foot especially barely touches the toes. However, they are not uncomfortable in the least with no hot spots or areas where I can feel the leather fold.

On these, they almost feel slightly too narrow and the left foot is developing some irritation on the top of the big toe where the leather bends. I had the same issue in my CXL lace to toe but it went away with additional wear. I know these are veg tanned and will soften up and stretch a bit. I make sure to shoe tree them as so as I take them off. After today, I will probably put them up for a couple days and then continue the break in.

They are beautiful and the leather is already starting to develop some patina. Just not sure if I should have gone down half a size.

Some wear pics.
IMG_20210121_131024740.jpg
IMG_20210121_131044666.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing my W&C Latigo BH pretty much all week except for a day or two where I went to JL engineers to give my feet a break.

I went down half a size from my usual 11.5, which I wear in most boots/shoes to an 11 as there was a little bit of extra room. I'm on the fence about this decision. If these were HH, it would have been the wrong decision for sure as HH is known not to stretch. My HH are 11.5 and I think that is the right size on those as they do fit a bit tighter than my CXL. My John Lofgrens (except the engineer boots where I went with 11.5) I went with 11 too. Those fit snug and my left foot especially barely touches the toes. However, they are not uncomfortable in the least with no hot spots or areas where I can feel the leather fold.

On these, they almost feel slightly too narrow and the left foot is developing some irritation on the top of the big toe where the leather bends. I had the same issue in my CXL lace to toe but it went away with additional wear. I know these are veg tanned and will soften up and stretch a bit. I make sure to shoe tree them as so as I take them off. After today, I will probably put them up for a couple days and then continue the break in.

They are beautiful and the leather is already starting to develop some patina. Just not sure if I should have gone down half a size.

Some wear pics. View attachment 1543929 View attachment 1543930
Not to be overly negative but I think you shouldn't have gone down half a size, based on what I have read here, it's better to have a slightly 'roomier' pair of boots if you are not sure about the size.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be overly negative but I think you shouldn't have gone down half a size, based on what I have read here, it's better to have a slightly 'roomier' pair of boots if you are not sure about the size.

Perhaps. I just was trying to get them to fit more like my Lofgrens which are snug but fit glove like. Also, you never know till you try. I think they will break in alright but going forward, I'll probably stick with 11.5. I do have stretchers if needed but I don't think that will be necessary.

The celastic cup also bothered my big toe in my 11.5 but that broke in just fine now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads