• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my boots are brown or black so I'd not even notice if I spilled something on them. What I do know, however, is that Murphy's Law will undoubtedly apply (apologies to any Irish among you), as it always does on those rare summer occasions when I wear a white/light top and I end the day with a nice stain that is totally inexplicable. It's why I tend not to own many light colored clothes. Darkness is my friend... for clothes and boots (and humor)!
I, you and @Luscombe may be long lost brothers lol
Believe it or not I keep a few shirts in the office for the sole purpose that if I spilled coffee (or some sauce) on my shirt I would have something clean available for meetings.
This is of course pre-COVID!

Last edited:

Luscombe

Reaction score
Can't tell you how many times when I have gotten home my wife tells me what I had for lunch. WTH, I didn't even see it land.

I have started to wear a chefs coat when bbq'ing for the family. Then the stains on that become a right of passage and are akin to medals and awards. That spot there, yeah man, it was some awesome homemade sauce, going to make that one again.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
So they finally arrived, long awaited Veg Tan Semi Dress...

Here is the build:

Last: #38 Swing Last
Toe Vamp Leather: Natural Veg. Tan
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Natural Veg. Tan
Leather Liner: Tan
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Toe Cap: Medallion Dress Toe Cap
Celastic Toe Box: Double Celastic Toe
Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
Midsole: Single
Edge: Brown
Heel Lifts: 1/4"Higher
Heel Base: Standard
Sole: Double Leather
Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch)

Here are the preliminary pics (from the wife who works at home)... pardon the dog hair, that is my Great Dane's couch!

Talk about a blank slate for patina... I am looking forward to seeing how these develop over the next decade or so...

What do you all think would look good for laces with the Veg Tan? Open to suggestions...

More to come...
View attachment 1542748 View attachment 1542750 View attachment 1542751 View attachment 1542753

@Legal Eagles , Very nice! They are shockingly white right now, but when suntanned those things are going to look amazing. I can't wait to see how they age. Thanks for sharing the pics.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I just baked Salman for a late dinner

I mean, I knew there was a fatwah against the man, but I didn't know it meant he was in for cannibalism. Very sad.

LE, my initial suggestion for laces would be either the standard flat waxed laces, or maybe black rawhide. As the leather darkens maybe switch to something more colorful, or standard rawhide laces. Those things are beautiful! Very jealous of all of you as I haven't received a shipping notification yet, and when I do I still will have a long wait ahead of me.

As for spillage...I wish my only concerns were food. I think I spilled a bunch of sauce and/or grease from some boerewors all over my Bounty Hunters a couple weeks ago during a drunken cookout with some even drunker South Africans. It wiped off easily enough though. Brown Dress is great stuff. Now, I have a pair of shinki shell cordovan jumper boots that I dribbled blue dry erase marker ink on...word to the wise, keep that stuff far away from your nice leather.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I knew there was a fatwah against the man, but I didn't know it meant he was in for cannibalism. Very sad.

LE, my initial suggestion for laces would be either the standard flat waxed laces, or maybe black rawhide. As the leather darkens maybe switch to something more colorful, or standard rawhide laces. Those things are beautiful! Very jealous of all of you as I haven't received a shipping notification yet, and when I do I still will have a long wait ahead of me.

As for spillage...I wish my only concerns were food. I think I spilled a bunch of sauce and/or grease from some boerewors all over my Bounty Hunters a couple weeks ago during a drunken cookout with some even drunker South Africans. It wiped off easily enough though. Brown Dress is great stuff. Now, I have a pair of shinki shell cordovan jumper boots that I dribbled blue dry erase marker ink on...word to the wise, keep that stuff far away from your nice leather.
South Africans?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Yep, I know loads of them around here. Their economy is in the toilet. Average salaries for foreign English teachers haven't budged in South Korea for about 20 years, so the supply of Americans, Canadians, Brits, Irish, Aussies and Kiwis has mostly dried up. South Africa is the only remaining country on the approved list, so most of the people coming over these days are Saffas trying to find a better life somewhere. The really interesting part is that lots of them barely speak English!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I know loads of them around here. Their economy is in the toilet. Average salaries for foreign English teachers haven't budged in South Korea for about 20 years, so the supply of Americans, Canadians, Brits, Irish, Aussies and Kiwis has mostly dried up. South Africa is the only remaining country on the approved list, so most of the people coming over these days are Saffas trying to find a better life somewhere. The really interesting part is that lots of them barely speak English!
I work with Engineers from countries like India once in a while and I have noticed some words pronounced differently, apparently there is something called Indian English.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, obscure reference of the year award goes to you!

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I work with Engineers from countries like India once in a while and I have noticed some words pronounced differently, apparently there is something called Indian English.

This is beyond dialect. Lots of these country fellows from the middle of nowhere, South Africa, are native Afrikaans speakers and don't have much English exposure. But, South Africa is on the Korean Government Official List of English Speaking Countries, and they're white, so it makes very little difference whether or not they actually speak the language they're being hired to teach! Many English-fluent Indians would wish they were so lucky, but alas, they're not on the list.

r.shackleford

Reaction score
Hello all, I need some help with Whites sizing. I want to order a pair of MPs with the W&C Latigo leather, and I need help deciding between the 55 or M&P last.

In the past I sent in a fit sheet with Bakers and was recommended a 9E. That led me to three pairs of boots, two of which have the 55 last - a pair of horsehide bounty hunters and 350 cutters from whites. The other pair are Main Streets.

Love both the bounty hunter and 350, but they definitely are too short and my middle toes are hitting the ends of the boots towards the outside edge of each boot.

I also have a pair of Main Streets from whites in a 9EE. I ordered a double E partially due to my own ignorance at the time, as that was the only E option on the whites website when I ordered them. The main streets are the most comfortable for me of the three, definitely too wide being a double E and my toes are still hitting the outside edge, although not as bad as the 55 last boots.

I want to order another pair, but I am hesitant because of sizing. Bakers recommended that if I order another pair in the 55 last I go to a 9.5D, which makes sense. However, I think the MP last of the Main Street works better for my foot, and I am not sure which size I should get.

The photos are the main streets, and I circled where my toes hit the boots ok all three pairs. Again, the main streets aren’t as bad.

Attachments

• 5D10C140-BEEC-4683-977F-257AE85BCD52.jpeg
    5D10C140-BEEC-4683-977F-257AE85BCD52.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 125

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Got an update from Baker's re: my Black Friday custom BH order. Boots are lasted and ready to get soles, but for whatever reason the Dr. Sole half soles I ordered seem like they might be a no-go as White's hasn't received them yet and there's no ETA for when they will. Now I'm on the fence about whether to go with a different Dr. Sole option, one of the stock Vibram ones, or wait it out.

For reference, these are olive waxed flesh LTT bounty hunters with brass hardware and khaki contrast stitching. The red/brown cork half soles look like this:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got an update from Baker's re: my Black Friday custom BH order. Boots are lasted and ready to get soles, but for whatever reason the Dr. Sole half soles I ordered seem like they might be a no-go as White's hasn't received them yet and there's no ETA for when they will. Now I'm on the fence about whether to go with a different Dr. Sole option, one of the stock Vibram ones, or wait it out.

For reference, these are olive waxed flesh LTT bounty hunters with brass hardware and khaki contrast stitching. The red/brown cork half soles look like this:

Ask if White's would put the limited edition Vibram soles : )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads