• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

klank74

Reaction score
I’m bouncing some ideas around in my head for my next build. How do you guys think Red Dog would look with white or khaki contrasting stitching?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m bouncing some ideas around in my head for my next build. How do you guys think Red Dog would look with white or khaki contrasting stitching?
IMO Red Dog is the best looking work leather! white stitching will bring more contrast.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make it Red Dog rough out and you have my attention...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the contrasting stitching might get lost in the rough out though
I bet you could still see the contrast... see the stitching on these... subtle, but definitely there... and please ignore the abomination of a sole...
1611622453756.png

klank74

Reaction score
I bet you could still see the contrast... see the stitching on these... subtle, but definitely there... and please ignore the abomination of a sole...
View attachment 1542891
Hmmmm... now you’ve given me another option to ponder. I was really considering Red Dog smooth, but the rough out doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would.

montanamike

Reaction score
Hmmmm... now you’ve given me another option to ponder. I was really considering Red Dog smooth, but the rough out doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would.
As you may recall I am a contrast stitching fan and have it on three pairs. I didn't opt for it with my red dog roughout as they will getting hit with Obenaufs LP. As an aside, I've had plenty of running shoes more difficult to break in than the red dog on my boots.

klank74

Reaction score
As you may recall I am a contrast stitching fan and have it on three pairs. I didn't opt for it with my red dog roughout as they will getting hit with Obenaufs LP. As an aside, I've had plenty of running shoes more difficult to break in than the red dog on my boots.
I’m glad to hear the Red Dog is easy to break in. I have a pair coming soon for work. I’m contemplating what I want for my next casual pair though. I was dead set on cinnamon waxed flesh, but then I started considering Red Dog for those as well.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lining on red dog? I know for certain leathers like Horsehide,CXL etc its recommended.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was dead set on cinnamon waxed flesh, but then I started considering Red Dog for those as well.
Perfect, go with Red Dog roughout, contrast stitching, but wax down the roughout yourself, and you have Red Dog waxed flesh with contrast-stitching! The best of all worlds!

Lining on red dog? I know for certain leathers like Horsehide,CXL etc its recommended.
Not needed, Red Dog is hella stout 7- 8oz work leather... but you could line them if you want I suppose...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One stray drop of coffee or chilli and you'd be staring at it for the next 2 years!

I'm with Wordfool on this one. That first blemish/scuff food spill is going to be crushing.

How often are you guys spilling food and beverages on your boots?

Seriously, has there been a recent spate of food spillage of which I am unaware?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, has there been a recent spate of food spillage of which I am unaware?
Oh man! you asked it. I am on central time and I just baked Salman for a late dinner (wasn't hungry earlier).
To add flavor to my food I have a bunch of different sauces, well, I spilled a little on my AE rainier boots (cognac color)

Luscombe

Reaction score
Chicago,
U da man.
When I cook in the kitchen, stuff happens. Olive oil and bacon grease spatter. You look down and there is that spot on your shoes, not to mention the floor.
When I cook on the grills on the deck, more stuff happens. Maybe I am just clumsy, I dunno. White shirt, new shirt, yeah, I need a bib.
Veggy tanned natural leather shoes for me = magnet for stains and scuffs.
They are distinctive though; gotta give credit where credit is due.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago,
U da man.
When I cook in the kitchen, stuff happens. Olive oil and bacon grease spatter. You look down and there is that spot on your shoes, not to mention the floor.
When I cook on the grills on the deck, more stuff happens. Maybe I am just clumsy, I dunno. White shirt, new shirt, yeah, I need a bib.
Veggy tanned natural leather shoes for me = magnet for stains and scuffs.
They are distinctive though; gotta give credit where credit is due.
Veg tan leather is beautiful but not for me either. I think my third pair of white's would be Bison or a maybe even some kind of two-tone leather(s).

wordfool

Reaction score

All my boots are brown or black so I'd not even notice if I spilled something on them. What I do know, however, is that Murphy's Law will undoubtedly apply (apologies to any Irish among you), as it always does on those rare summer occasions when I wear a white/light top and I end the day with a nice stain that is totally inexplicable. It's why I tend not to own many light colored clothes. Darkness is my friend... for clothes and boots (and humor)!

AFAIK the Red Dog is an oil tan leather so no lining needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics