• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify the Packers are in Brown Oil Tan.

But I agree, British Tan is awesome! It's not tough, and I wouldn't wear it while working on projects round the house or anything. But when going out for the evening, its the leather I always go to. If it gets any scuffs, the horse hair brush alone usually removes them quite quickly.

I think it is the best looking leather that White's offers.
I have ordered one pair of BHs in British tan but I am assuming it would be around mid-April/May before I would get them.
I have a soft spot for CXL leather, while typing this I am wearing AE boots in CXL (had to run to the store).

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is the best looking leather that White's offers.
I am going to catch some flak for saying this lol but on a good day British tan can compete with Latigo ?

prasom

Reaction score
I second your opinion. I saw some pics on White's Facebook page and I thought those limited series boots were awesome.
I have seen some aged veg tan pics but not many aged chrome tanned leathers that changed the color like this. it a gorgeous deep reddish brown that i like very much than the regular brown CXL. @ThreeLions
thanks for sharing the photos.
i believe natural CXL ages well as well

ThreeLions

Reaction score
I have seen some aged veg tan pics but not many aged chrome tanned leathers that changed the color like this. it a gorgeous deep reddish brown that i like very much than the regular brown CXL. @ThreeLions
thanks for sharing the photos.
i believe natural CXL ages well as well

You're welcome.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

prasom

Reaction score
@Patek owns boots in Natural CXL, you would love those! I think the pictures are a few pages back.
Saw that just now . some CXL ages very well too. not just the veg tan i guess. i am seriously considering the natural Veg tan for my first build but a close second is Black and natural CXL two tone. man wish i could buy multiple. saw this on franklinandpoe.com and am torn between them.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw that just now . some CXL ages very well too. not just the veg tan.
Yep! CXL is a casual leather ( I am stating the obvious) so we shouldn't expect it to age like dress leather or work leather.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Yep! CXL is a casual leather ( I am stating the obvious) so we shouldn't expect it to age like dress leather or work leather.

I would disagree there completely. I think CXLs are going to show the most change with age. Black dress doesn't age at all. My experience has been that you keep it clean and polished and it never looks any different. Same with Black and Brown Oil Tan. Add some Obenauf's periodically and they stay looking the same as always. Brown dress may show some age, but mostly if you don't take care of them and let them get beat to ****. Periodic maintenance should keep them looking nice life long. I don't have any Brown Dress, but my Brown Elk Tan shouldn't be too long in arriving. (I'm over 12 weeks now).

prasom

Reaction score
that is a new concept to me where you mention that dress leathers age age well. i thought CXL is a dress leather (still learning the nuances , or in this case a huge distinction :)) a primer would be appreciated.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
that is a new concept to me where you mention that dress leathers age age well. i thought CXL is a dress leather (still learning the nuances , or in this case a huge distinction :)) a primer would be appreciated.

CXL isn't a dress leather in so far as you are not going to be able to put a mirror shine on the toe. If that's your definition of dress. The leather is impregnated with oils and waxes. The waxy nature of the leather means that hitting it with the horse hair bush restores the nice luster.

I don't like my boots to be beat up (other than my distressed RO, since that's what those are for), so I don't wear my Brit Tans for anything where I'm likely to kick or bump stuff. If I was going to "dress-up" for an evening, jeans/slacks and a sports coat, my Brit Tans would be my first choice. If I was putting on a suit, I wouldn't wear them as they wouldn't be "dress-y" enough.

In short (and only in my opinion), Brit Tan CXL is "dress-ier" than the work leathers, and less dressy than properly shined black or brown dress leather.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would disagree there completely. I think CXLs are going to show the most change with age. Black dress doesn't age at all. My experience has been that you keep it clean and polished and it never looks any different. Same with Black and Brown Oil Tan. Add some Obenauf's periodically and they stay looking the same as always. Brown dress may show some age, but mostly if you don't take care of them and let them get beat to ****. Periodic maintenance should keep them looking nice life long. I don't have any Brown Dress, but my Brown Elk Tan shouldn't be too long in arriving. (I'm over 12 weeks now).
I am confused! I thought that's what I meant when I said we shouldn't expect CXL to age the same way as dress and work leathers age.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw that just now . some CXL ages very well too. not just the veg tan i guess. i am seriously considering the natural Veg tan for my first build but a close second is Black and natural CXL two tone. man wish i could buy multiple. saw this on franklinandpoe.com and am torn between them.
Awe! buying multiple pairs of white's boots. You should change your career to Software Development! I am kidding!! I am kidding!!

prasom

Reaction score
Awe! buying multiple pairs of white's boots. You should change your career to Software Development! I am kidding!! I am kidding!!
this forum generate too much temptation , great source of knowledge but my wallet says "stay away" . just buying one this time.:)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this forum generate too much temptation , great source of knowledge but my wallet says "stay away" . just buying one this time.:)
This forum also makes tough to wait for your White's boots to arrive!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads