• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

klank74

Reaction score
All of the above it true, but I like the bulbous toe look, and I order all my boots with toe caps, which add an extra layer of 5-8oz leather... combined with the fact I prefer the 38 Swing last... seeing the effect of a celastic (or even double celastic) toe is the least of my concerns!
I agree. I’ve seen some soft toes on the 38 swing last and think it looks even worse there than on any of the other lasts. I feel the only way to make the 38 swing last look remotely good is to put a toe cap on it.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. i got fitted with a unstructured toe on 4811. planning to get BHs on 55 last with celastic toe. could this lead to a complication ? i think the fit is very good with 4811.
So you got fitted on a different last than the boot you plan to order?
And you are adding celastic where your try on pair had none?

Seems risky... did you ask for a try on pair in 55 with celastic and Baker's sent you what they had (4811 without celastic)?

Did Baker's advise you on the size conversion between 4811 and 55, and celastic vs.non-celastic?

Sorry if you already answered these, but I would want my try on pair to be at least on the same last I was planning to order.

When you start changing too many variables, you risk a non-harmonious result.

prasom

Reaction score
So you got fitted on a different last than the boot you plan to order?
And you are adding celastic where your try on pair had none?

Seems risky... did you ask for a try on pair in 55 with celastic and Baker's sent you what they had (4811 without celastic)?

Did Baker's advise you on the size conversion between 4811 and 55, and celastic vs.non-celastic?

Sorry if you already answered these, but I would want my try on pair to be at least on the same last I was planning to order.

When you start changing too many variables, you risk a non-harmonious result.
to be honest i did not talk about the celastic toe with Bakers.
But i clearly mentioned that what i want is the BHs (which is on 55 i believe) they send me a 4811 (8.5EE) which actually fits my foot well and Kyle said the the only difference between 55 and 4811 is that 55 has a bit smaller toe box (not width but length wise ) on 4811 i have a bout a thumb and half distance from the tip of my toe to the edge of the toe box.
this is my first pair and i am just going by kyle's word on these.
do you think it is a good idea to request a pair on 55 last with celastic toe? this would considerably delay my build but if it is what is required i would definitely do it.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to be honest i did not talk about the celastic toe with Bakers.
But i clearly mentioned that what i want is the BHs (which is on 55 i believe) they send me a 4811 (8.5EE) which actually fits my foot well and Kyle said the the only difference between 55 and 4811 is that 55 has a bit smaller toe box (not width but length wise ) on 4811 i have a bout a thumb and half distance from the tip of my toe to the edge of the toe box.
this is my first pair and i am just going by kyle's word on these.
do you think it is a good idea to request a pair on 55 last with celastic toe? this would considerably delay my build but if it is what is required i would definitely do it.
Good question about celastic toes! I am waiting on two pairs of BHs with celastic toes!

discomute

Reaction score
Cellastic toes look way better. Liking the look of unstructured is like saying you liked the godfather part 3 the best. I guess it's your choice but imo you're empirically wrong.

However unstructured does allow for a little room for error when you're unsure of your fit, it's why I have one. Yes when sized correctly it won't matter but it's hard to be confident fitting remotely

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Cellastic toes look way better. Liking the look of unstructured is like saying you liked the godfather part 3 the best. I guess it's your choice but imo you're empirically wrong.

However unstructured does allow for a little room for error when you're unsure of your fit, it's why I have one. Yes when sized correctly it won't matter but it's hard to be confident fitting remotely
Bad take

wordfool

Reaction score
Soft toes are for slippers! There I said it ;):fence:

OK, so it's a personal thing and lord knows I'm sure I have some sartorial predilections that others would find bizarre, but I've always been in the "structured toe" camp when it comes to boots. A burly boot with a withered, wrinkled toe just looks wrong IMHO. If you want svelte, low profile footwear then don't buy a boot!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, my W&C Latigo arrived. Amazing and beautiful!

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

IMG_20210120_160948528.jpg
IMG_20210120_160958014.jpg
IMG_20210120_161025004.jpg
IMG_20210120_161603011.jpg
IMG_20210120_161609791_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210120_161621656_HDR.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was surprised by the yellow laces and decided that I like them. Skipping the Kilties on these.

ThreeLions

Reaction score

You sing it, Discomute, you sing it!!!!

Soft toes suck! My packers have soft toes and one has wrinkled and the other hasn't. Drives me crazy.

ThreeLions

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads