• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get my fourth pair soon, and I've perhaps been luckier than most in that the builds I have ordered have all been ok. One had one issue but I could live with it.. I'd much rather have an extended wait time for the boots to come out better. Realistically 8-12 weeks isn't at all long for a custom spec boot, I've waited much much longer (try 1-2 years) for a pair of boots and I didn't mind. They seem to be taking on more work than they can handle, but if they set the right expectations up front or delay delivery I'd much prefer that versus all the QC errors mentioned.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realistically 8-12 weeks isn't at all long for a custom spec boot, I've waited much much longer (try 1-2 years) for a pair of boots and I didn't mind.
What brand was that?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Yeah, I think there are some growing pains in the changing of their demographic.
I think this is absolutely correct. In fact, a similar sentiment has been expressed before on this thread:
I would suggest that there is probably a much higher demand for whites than there ever was, now that quality work gear is considered fashionable, which means they've probably increased their staff to keep up with demand and they probably have workers who are still gaining experience.
Both of you guys are correct that White's need time to adjust to a more fashion oriented demographic, though your posts are separated by more than six years.

wordfool

Reaction score
I think this is absolutely correct. In fact, a similar sentiment has been expressed before on this thread:

Both of you guys are correct that White's need time to adjust to a more fashion oriented demographic, though your posts are separated by more than six years.

I figured the introduction of the MP boot (when was that? 2017?) was when White's really acknowledged the fashion market since many people saw it as a direct response to the popularity of boots from Viberg, Truman et al. So they've had a few years. That said, my MPs are the only White's boots that have had zero QC issues, so maybe (speculating based on my sample size of one) they have a different production line/process/standard for making those vs the traditional work boots like the BH, SJ, and SD.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I figured the introduction of the MP boot (when was that? 2017?) was when White's really acknowledged the fashion market since many people saw it as a direct response to the popularity of boots from Viberg, Truman et al. So they've had a few years. That said, my MPs are the only White's boots that have had zero QC issues, so maybe (speculating based on my sample size of one) they have a different production line/process/standard for making those vs the traditional work boots like the BH, SJ, and SD.
Possibly you're right; though even if we say that White's first entered the fashion market in 2017, that's still a fair amount of time to be going through growing pains. For what it's worth, I've had MP boots with QC issues, so I think it's a question of manufacturing consistency, rather than a particular production line or process.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will have three BH by tomorrow. THe first one was perfect (CXL). The second one was remade three times (according to Bakers as I never saw it) but it was HH which can be difficult to work with. My next is W&C. I expect this softer leather to be easier to work with than the HH. We will see.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will have three BH by tomorrow. THe first one was perfect (CXL). The second one was remade three times (according to Bakers as I never saw it) but it was HH which can be difficult to work with. My next is W&C. I expect this softer leather to be easier to work with than the HH. We will see.
W&C Latigo?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That leather looks 'alluring'!

Yeah, I ripped off the build after seeing this boot. I think I may have changed a couple things but I was waiting for them to offer W&C leather. This is not my boot so I will se how similar it is tomorrow.
Whites-Boots-2.jpg
FF0BF401-8988-41C5-92C3-2CCA358D9B68.JPG

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I ripped off the build after seeing this boot. I think I may have changed a couple things but I was waiting for them to offer W&C leather. This is not my boot so I will se how similar it is tomorrow.
View attachment 1538726 View attachment 1538727
Other than LTT it looks similar to Bakers' pictures on their website. The Latigo makes it a beautiful pair of boots. Personally I like boots to be a little rugged looking but the only way to make it happen would be add lug soles?? What other options do we have to make boots slightly rugged looking or it's not possible with a leather like latigo?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Friday Shipping Notices are going out! Exactly eight weeks from order to ship... not bad.

Dear [LegalEagles],

Thank you for your order from Baker's Boots & Clothing! We wanted to let you know that your order (#BKB65XX) was shipped via UPS, UPS® Ground on 1/19/2021.

Last: #38 Swing Last
Toe Vamp Leather: Natural Veg. Tan [ $100.00 ]
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Natural Veg. Tan
Leather Liner: Tan [ $35.00 ]
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Toe Cap: Medallion Dress Toe Cap [ $45.00 ]
Celastic Toe Box: Double Celastic Toe [ $45.00 ]
Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
Midsole: Single
Edge: Brown
Heel Lifts: 1/4"Higher [ $15.00 ]
Heel Base: Standard
Sole: Double Leather
Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch)

Here we go... Natural Veg Tan!

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would argue six years is sufficient time to get the "kinks" worked out... alas... here we are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads