• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's finally time: need to get my first pair of semi-dress resoled. So, I see both Baker's and White's offer services: Can anyone compare the two for a re-sole?
This is interesting to me as well... I have always thought I would use White's... kind of like going to the dealership for your car... who knows the boot better than the people who built them... however, I like the look of the wide double stitch on the welt, and would want it preserved in any resole...

I have never gotten a satisfactory answer as to whether this is possible... either by Baker's or White's... anyone have input on this aspect of the resole?

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember @ExtraitdeMinimalist sent his smoke jumpers to Bakers for a rebuild and they came back with double row stitching. The pictures are a few pages back.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember @ExtraitdeMinimalist sent his smoke jumpers to Bakers for a rebuild and they came back with double row stitching. The pictures are a few pages back.
I fully expect that with a rebuild White's can do the double row stitching... after all everything but the quarters is new...

I am more curious about a resole... can they maintain the double row welt stitch on a resole?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fully expect that with a rebuild White's can do the double row stitching... after all everything but the quarters is new...

I am more curious about a resole... can they maintain the double row welt stitch on a resole?
Awe I need to read "closely" lol

Tweedboy

Reaction score
Our cat Slinky prefers the SJs! Meow
View attachment 1535188
(The bouquet is oiled leather and sawdust, not stinky feet, I promise)
Here is Slinky’s British cousin Bruce guarding my Red Dog roughout Semi Dress
BEC32B05-0DF1-4C82-839F-5EB8B747C583.jpeg
BEC32B05-0DF1-4C82-839F-5EB8B747C583.jpeg

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Well, it's finally time: need to get my first pair of semi-dress resoled. So, I see both Baker's and White's offer services: Can anyone compare the two for a re-sole?

Bakers did a resole for me last year & White's did a rebuild for me last year. I preferred Baker's & thought they did excellent work. The communication with Bakers was friendly and helpful as always.

Fear and Loathing

Reaction score
Custom semi-dress with plain caps, block heel, double-row, Vibram 430, Horween CXL
E40DA2B1-C22C-4435-B2E9-45F21447D6CE.jpeg

Custom semi-dress with dress caps, Cuban heels, single-row, Vibram 100 tan, Horween burgundy CXL
8F7FA7AA-D4D8-4E69-B214-F939E7D400CB.jpeg

Waiting on a custom pair... Semi-dress, plain caps, modified slightly slanted block heel, midsole in special charcoal brown, single-row, Vibram 100F black, Horween black horsehide CXL

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score
Waiting on a custom pair... Semi-dress, plain caps, modified slightly slanted block heel, midsole in special charcoal brown, single-row, Vibram 100F black, Horween black horsehide CXL

I'm curious to see how the heel turns out on these. I requested the same on a pair of 6" BHs with 100 soles and they arrived today with what looks like a regular woodsman heel. Not a big deal, but I was hoping for more of a semi-woodsman or semi-block (the bigger issue with them, however, is they have all eyes instead of eyes/hooks as ordered, so my White's jinx apparently continues :(

Fear and Loathing

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how the heel turns out on these. I requested the same on a pair of 6" BHs with 100 soles and they arrived today with what looks like a regular woodsman heel. Not a big deal, but I was hoping for more of a semi-woodsman or semi-block (the bigger issue with them, however, is they have all eyes instead of eyes/hooks as ordered, so my White's jinx apparently continues :(
That sucks to hear! The only custom from White’s is the above burgundy. They aren’t perfect... the heels are slightly different heights.

Customization to the above black pair and all custom work (including the caps) being done to the incoming horsehide pair is courtesy of Raoul Ojeda. He’s the man behind Don Ville and Willie’s, and arguably the finest independent bespoke shoemaker in the United States.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Wordfool, how did Bakers respond to this QC failure? This is really disappointing given the cost of these boots and the time it takes to make them. My SD rebuild was messed up, wrong toe cap and had to be sent back. The overall quality of the stitching and reconstruct is poor and I have stitches unraveling. My other pair, MP's have the hooks tearing out of the leather. Kyle said to send those back for repairs. My Centennials had quality issues too. I am three for three with issues and Whites. Kind of concerned about the HH SD's i have on order.

wordfool

Reaction score
Wordfool, how did Bakers respond to this QC failure? This is really disappointing given the cost of these boots and the time it takes to make them. My SD rebuild was messed up, wrong toe cap and had to be sent back. The overall quality of the stitching and reconstruct is poor and I have stitches unraveling. My other pair, MP's have the hooks tearing out of the leather. Kyle said to send those back for repairs. My Centennials had quality issues too. I am three for three with issues and Whites. Kind of concerned about the HH SD's i have on order.

I emailed them this afternoon and have not yet heard back. Hopefully the eyelets are the same size and can simply be swapped out for hooks, but that would still involve two way shipping, which from the East Coast would mean another 2-3 weeks waiting.

This is my fourth pair out of five that have had QC issues. In addition to the missing hooks, the waxed flesh of one toe is a totally different texture and slightly different shade to the other, which I’m not too bothered about but puzzled that it was not noticed before construction. I guess WF clicking is not a thing. Otherwise the build is pretty good!

I might give the eyelets a go and see if I can live with them, otherwise winter will be half over by the time I get them back. I have one more pair coming and that’ll probably be my last from Whites. I have enough PNW boots and TBH it’s become too much of a hassle to deal with White’s QC issues, even with the good customer service from Bakers.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one more pair coming and that’ll probably be my last from Whites. I have enough PNW boots and TBH it’s become too much of a hassle to deal with White’s QC issues, even with the good customer service from Bakers.
I am in the same boat... if they had not offered natural veg tan on Black Friday, I would have looked elsewhere... incredibly frustrating... I love White's and it makes me sad to see this happening again and again... I do not have a solution...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat... if they had not offered natural veg tan on Black Friday, I would have looked elsewhere... incredibly frustrating... I love White's and it makes me sad to see this happening again and again... I do not have a solution...
I don't know a thing about boot 'making' process but I think if White's could print a paper with all the customizations and give it the staff member(s) working on that particular pair, it could help reduce the number of 'errors' but like I said it's just a shot in the dark : )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads