• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I just received my first pair of White’s - BH in cinnamon waxed flesh and had some concerned over fit.

I had Kyle at Baker’s fit me via tracings, but the toes/balls of my feet feel quite roomy. I understand that’s somewhat to be expected with this style, however the lacing is also quite close together and I’m worried about it becoming even more so with age.

Other than that they are great- no heel slip or pain points.

Thanks!

View attachment 1536388 View attachment 1536397 View attachment 1536398
Did Kyle recommend open instep?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread...

I have a few questions which may help us address your concerns...

Are you wearing the same socks now as you did for the tracings?

In addition to tracings did you send measurements?

Did you tell Kyle to fit you in a Bounty Hunter (55 last) or did he suggest the 55 Last based on the shape of your feet?

Honestly, the boots look great to me... I like laces about 1" to 1.5" apart and parallel... it looks like you have that... if the waxed flesh does stretch to the point where the laces are too close (touching) you can add a kiltie to space them out a little more.

I like a little room in the toe box, and as long as there is no heel slip, I think you are going to be OK. To me the fit on the heel and instep is more important to long term comfort than the fit of the toe box as long as the toe box is not too tight... which yours is not. Plus, you can always wear thicker socks and add an insole if they are really too roomy...

Tar Nation

Reaction score
Welcome to the thread...

I have a few questions which may help us address your concerns...

Are you wearing the same socks now as you did for the tracings?

In addition to tracings did you send measurements?

Did you tell Kyle to fit you in a Bounty Hunter (55 last) or did he suggest the 55 Last based on the shape of your feet?

Honestly, the boots look great to me... I like laces about 1" to 1.5" apart and parallel... it looks like you have that... if the waxed flesh does stretch to the point where the laces are too close (touching) you can add a kiltie to space them out a little more.

I like a little room in the toe box, and as long as there is no heel slip, I think you are going to be OK. To me the fit on the heel and instep is more important to long term comfort than the fit of the toe box as long as the toe box is not too tight... which yours is not. Plus, you can always wear thicker socks and add an insole if they are really too roomy...
Thanks for such a detailed response.

I did send him measurements as well as tracings, and he suggested the 55 last, although he said it didn’t really matter?

the socks I wore for tracings were actually a little thinner...

I think overall I’m probably being neurotic and they’re fine!

wordfool

Reaction score
Thanks for such a detailed response.

I did send him measurements as well as tracings, and he suggested the 55 last, although he said it didn’t really matter?

the socks I wore for tracings were actually a little thinner...

I think overall I’m probably being neurotic and they’re fine!

Many people fit the same in the MP and 55 lasts, so I'd not worry about that. As @Legal Eagles said, if they fit securely midfoot and in the heel then they're probably fine. How's the fit right at the front of the upper, where the first eyelets are? You should be able to wiggle your toes freely but ideally the ball of your foot should not be able to lift.

I have narrowish feet (C width) and most of my White's lace up with about an inch gap, occasionally slightly less if I'm really cinching them and am wearing thinner socks. It can sometimes be disconcerting to see photos of boots on all those lucky folks with E and EE width feet and then look down at boots on my scrawny old feet :-D

If still in doubt, give Baker's a call. They're always happy to talk about fit and ways to dial it in better.

discomute

Reaction score

I just received my first pair of White’s - BH in cinnamon waxed flesh and had some concerned over fit.

I had Kyle at Baker’s fit me via tracings, but the toes/balls of my feet feel quite roomy. I understand that’s somewhat to be expected with this style, however the lacing is also quite close together and I’m worried about it becoming even more so with age.

Other than that they are great- no heel slip or pain points.

Thanks!

View attachment 1536388 View attachment 1536397 View attachment 1536398
One more thing to keep in mind is your toes, to an extent, are supposed to be swimming free.

I personally think they look perfect (referencing your concerns on lacing)

If you add thicker socks, does it produce a better fit?

prasom

Reaction score
Lacing.jpg

just wanted to get the opinion on the lace spacing on these SJs . they are 4811 last and this is my try on pair. I am planning to buy an 8 inch boot but the try on is 10 inch.
reading above i felt like asking the question because i feel like the spacing narrows in the shaft. is this normal or should i be concerned about the fit?

klank74

Reaction score
View attachment 1536841

just wanted to get the opinion on the lace spacing on these SJs . they are 4811 last and this is my try on pair. I am planning to buy an 8 inch boot but the try on is 10 inch.
reading above i felt like asking the question because i feel like the spacing narrows in the shaft. is this normal or should i be concerned about the fit?
If you do the tracings and measurements, measure 8” up your calf ( since you want 8” boots) and send them in, Whites will make them to fit the measurements of your feet and legs. Bakers has a really good instructional video on their site.

klank74

Reaction score
View attachment 1536841

Forgot to mention, the try on pair are usually just whatever they have in stock, so I wouldn’t be worried about how the shaft fits right now, just how they fit your feet.

Leveskie

Reaction score
View attachment 1536841

My Whites do that as they go up the shaft as well. I noticed the s fold seems to even the uppers out on my pair

prasom

Reaction score
If you do the tracings and measurements, measure 8” up your calf ( since you want 8” boots) and send them in, Whites will make them to fit the measurements of your feet and legs. Bakers has a really good instructional video on their site.
Yes i did the measurements and send it to them. Do they adjust the fit of the shaft to our measurements when they build the final product?
My feet fits well to the try on pair(at least i think ) no pain points , no heel lift and i can wiggle my toes comfortably. only bit of down side is that there is a bit of extra length from the end of my toes to the end of the boot. (bit more that a width of a thumb)
the fit is pretty snug and i read in this forum that is how it should be in a new pair which has not broken in yet.

wordfool

Reaction score
View attachment 1536841

You probably just have a slightly skinnier than average ankle and lower calf (like me) so that's to be expected. personally I think they look fine on you. The important thing, fit wise, is that the lowest 5-6 eyelets/hooks can be well cinched. That's what locks in your foot. If you are concerned then mention it to Bakers and I believe they can order the boots with a slightly narrower shaft, although that might incur a small upcharge.

Leveskie

Reaction score
Yes i did the measurements and send it to them. Do they adjust the fit of the shaft to our measurements when they build the final product?
My feet fits well to the try on pair(at least i think ) no pain points , no heel lift and i can wiggle my toes comfortably. only bit of down side is that there is a bit of extra length from the end of my toes to the end of the boot. (bit more that a width of a thumb)
the fit is pretty snug and i read in this forum that is how it should be in a new pair which has not broken in yet.
Im a 8.5C and have a small ankle. I think they put a 7.5 shaft on my boot so the lacing was a little farther apart. Whatever they did worked :)

klank74

Reaction score
Sounds like they have you sized perfectly then. I’m pretty sure they will fit the shaft to your measurements, or use a pattern when cutting the leather that comes close. That’s why they tell you to measure up your leg to the height you want your boots at.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's finally time: need to get my first pair of semi-dress resoled. So, I see both Baker's and White's offer services: Can anyone compare the two for a re-sole?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads