• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upon a second reading, you could be correct...

If the word "almost" was referring to the finishing on the flesh side, then Horween's statement could be reworded to read, "This leather is made... exactly the same way as our Chromexcel, [except for the fact that] we finish it on the flesh (or suede side) [instead of the smooth side].

In which case, I it matches my initial supposition, namely that "WF is really just CXL but finished on the flesh side".

Alas, we may never know for sure...
1607028487947.png

Technically the correct thing to say would be: that both are tanned the same way, using the same time line and proprietary blend. They are finished differently.

Which shouldn't be shocking because most of Horween's leather catalog features leathers that have roughly the same processes and only vary by a step or two. Their tannage chart is quite informative and the similarities really shows.

wordfool

Reaction score
Upon a second reading, you could be correct...

If the word "almost" was referring to the finishing on the flesh side, then Horween's statement could be reworded to read, "This leather is made... exactly the same way as our Chromexcel, [except for the fact that] we finish it on the flesh (or suede side) [instead of the smooth side].

In which case, I it matches my initial supposition, namely that "WF is really just CXL but finished on the flesh side".

Alas, we may never know for sure...

It's CXL for boots -- all the bad breaks will be invisible on the inside of the boot and CXL's easy scuffing becomes kinda the point for that ratty-looking waxed flesh patina that so many seem to love. Heck, new WF can even take a wicked shine, so perhaps you should consider it!

I've always viewed WF as basically another roughout option, but pre-waxed and slightly thinner than the oil tan RO. In fact, in a few images I've seen of brown WF with the wax entirely removed it looks almost identical to distressed RO.

klank74

Reaction score
Since we’re on the subject of WF, anybody have pics of olive WF with some wear on it? I’m trying to decide between that and the cinnamon WF for my next build. The olive looks great when new, but I’m wondering if I’ll like it with some wear.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we’re on the subject of WF, anybody have pics of olive WF with some wear on it? I’m trying to decide between that and the cinnamon WF for my next build. The olive looks great when new, but I’m wondering if I’ll like it with some wear.
I can't decide about the leather for my third White's pair. I am thinking of dodging everything and go for my first choice, red dog leather!!!

montanamike

Reaction score
Light wear. It's a bit of a bugger to break in. On the plus side... contrast stitching.

Attachments

• 20201203_132018.jpg
    20201203_132018.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 128

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't decide about the leather for my third White's pair. I am thinking of dodging everything and go for my first choice, red dog leather!!!
What are the first two pair?
From a sartorial standpoint, I feel one needs (in order of priority) a brown pair, a black pair, and a burgundy pair.

Once those essential categories are filled, one can branch out to a natural, various shades of brown, or other colors and textures like red dog, olive, waxed flesh, rough out, and other species such as bison or horse, then you have your exotics and multiple boots and textures in the same color, different soles and options, etc.... but your basic triad is brown, black, and burgundy...

That's my opinion, I welcome others...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the first two pair?
From a sartorial standpoint, I feel one needs (in order of priority) a brown pair, a black pair, and a burgundy pair.

Once those essential categories are filled, one can branch out to a natural, various shades of brown, or other colors and textures like red dog, olive, waxed flesh, rough out, and other species such as bison or horse, then you have your exotics and multiple boots and textures in the same color, different soles and options, etc.... but your basic triad is brown, black, and burgundy...

That's my opinion, I welcome others...
The two pairs that I have ordered, are British tan and burgundy HH. I want to order a pointed toe packers for variety and arch support but can't decide about the leather.

klank74

Reaction score
I’m ahead of ya on that one, I ordered my second pair a month ago in Red Dog. I’ll hopefully have them soon. Their going to be work boots though and will see alot of oil and grease.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I "wish" Horween would figure out the CXL issues. This Natural CXL bounty hunters are yummy

Confused. Many of us have natural CXL boots with no issues, myself included.

wordfool

Reaction score

These new/worn photos of Wesco Knuckle Draggers convinced me to stick with brown and black WF -- the olive WF on those turned an odd (to me) shade of bile green where it was worn and scuffed (last three photos).

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Confused. Many of us have natural CXL boots with no issues, myself included.
Share some pics please, folks here talk about CXL lottery on a regular basis.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I "wish" Horween would figure out the CXL issues. This Natural CXL bounty hunters are yummy

If you're referring to the way CXL can sometimes crease heavily, it's not really an 'issue', insofar as it's considered 'within spec' for CXL.

I'm not wanting to kick off another CXL debate, but there are lots of people who have CXL boots without major creasing, and their are lots of people who have CXL boots with heavy creases who love the way they look.

It's more about knowing what you're getting into with CXL (as it is with any leather), than it is an issue with the product.

wordfool

Reaction score
I have a pair of WF bounty hunters coming next week. How was the break in on yours?

I concur with @montanamike about the stiffness of the leather at first. I have some newish WF MPs that felt stiff as a board out of the box and the uppers still feel a bit stiff even after a dozen or so wears. The opposite of the dress leathers (virtually no break in) and worse even than the oil tan RO, which although thicker is pretty supple when new. The wax on WF leather feels more like a crust.

Still, that didn't stop me just ordering another pair of WF boots (dark brown BHs)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics