• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
Question - your black elks look like they do not have a brown tea core (I want black all the way through), is that the case? If the black elk comes as a tea core leather only, I will go for black dress but hesitant bc I'm not sure if this leather is too "plain" and lacking character as it ages, I don't want to get bored of it.

both black elk and dress are not teacore — they‘re basically the same (dry tan) leather, according to White’s, just slightly different thicknesses. I’m sure in your heart you know what to do... save up and go for black horse!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
you could order bounty hunters in British Tan, that's what I did! not sure how much is the difference between SD and BH though.
The BH has an external heel counter while the SD has internal. Small difference but it makes the SD look sleeker in my opinion- a 7" BH is a chunky boot (not a bad thing) but a 7" SD looks almost elegant.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
I've read in this thread that Black Elk and black HH are pretty comparable in the depth of color (not much difference betwee black leather) and how they micro crease. I would prefer to get black HH since I have a black HH jacket and I like how smooth and tight grained it is but not for about $100 more which is approx 25% extra under the black friday sale. That would be cool if there was a side-by-side of 2 boots made in these leathers somewhere....

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough... I should have written... "Comfort trumps all... with the exception of dignity..."
I mean, once your 100% on the 38 last, how are we defining dignity?

I have found a way to sweeten the pot. What if we develop a Dainite toppy for the wedge sole? If its the Moc toe that's giving you pause, we could develop the falcon series which could be a standard plain toe or cap toe.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't get these 7" SD's out of my head. You can't request a height change from white's/baker's right?
You can request anything you like... whether they will comply is another story.

These may have been exclusive to Division Road, and White's may have agreed not to make them for anyone else in order to preserve the illusion of exclusivity.

I do note some sizes are still in stock at Division Road...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
both black elk and dress are not teacore — they‘re basically the same (dry tan) leather, according to White’s, just slightly different thicknesses. I’m sure in your heart you know what to do... save up and go for black horse!
learned something new (again), so does it mean HH is tea core?

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read in this thread that Black Elk and black HH are pretty comparable... would be cool if there was a side-by-side of 2 boots made in these leathers somewhere....
Ask and ye shall receive...
L-R - HH, Black Dress, Elk Tan.

1607017040498.png

1607017059693.png

1607017081670.png

1607017098344.png

1607017116753.png

Last edited:

gjerde

Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive...

View attachment 1509521
View attachment 1509522
View attachment 1509524
View attachment 1509525
View attachment 1509526

Nice polishing job on the toe caps, what leathers are these?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice polishing job on the toe caps, what leathers are these?
Thanks, but that is not really polished... that is polished, worn a few times, and quickly brushed before snapping a pic... Give me 30 minutes with an old t-shirt and a can of Saphir mirror gloss, and I will show you a polish!

The leathers are in the link, but L-R - HH, Black Dress, Elk Tan... the post was to answer @theofficialhung 's request and show how similar all three are in appearance, especially from a distance of a few feet.

As to @chicagoan2016 question, you can see at the cut top that the HH has a brown core.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but that is not really polished... that is polished, worn a few times, and quickly brushed before snapping a pic... Give me 30 minutes with an old t-shirt and a can of Saphir mirror gloss, and I will show you a polish!

The leathers are in the link, but L-R - HH, Black Dress, Elk Tan... the post was to answer @theofficialhung 's request and show how similar all three are in appearance, especially from a distance of a few feet.

As to @chicagoan2016 question, you can see at the cut top that the HH has a brown core.
Elk tan looks awesome, I would say very close to HH

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads