• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
I'm considering committing a sin and changing my black semi dress order to lowered block soles. Having tried both I don't really feel a difference in arch support and I think the lowered sole looks better with the unstructured SD.

I have some SDs in black roughout with lowered block heels and like they way they look as much as the standard height/shape heel. Comfort-wise I also feel no meaningful difference, although I do feel a very slight extra hump in the arch with the lowered heel, which makes sense (although with a survey of one pair and a very subtle, possibly imagined, difference I cannot say for certain the heel is the cause). I also have a pair of BHs with a standard-height block heel and it really feels no different to the woodsman heel TBH, so I consider the heel choice largely aesthetic at this stage of my White's game. In fact I'm considering a standard-height block heel on my brown bison SD order, which I guess might also be considered a sin, too

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up changing my BF order from the MP to 6" BH instead. I will keep the regular woodsman / cuban (whatever you want to call it) heel and forego the crepe hope you're proud of me @Legal Eagles lol.

But I will stick with CXL leather, just now second guessing myself between my original choice of color 8 burgundy vs british tan or brown. I already have a natural CXL boot and don't want to get something too similar, will the natural cxl eventually age into a similar shade as british or brown?
I ordered a BH in British tan during the sale. Based on the pictures I have seen I like how it ages.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Now you guys have me second guessing my order.
I ordered a SD HH medallion cap double leather sole and Cuban heel .
After wearing my SD's the last two days I am thinking a BH 6" would provide more ankle support.
I think I could change out the SD to a BH with a small up charge.

Does anyone have any photos of BH's with Double leather soles?
I don't recall seeing any recently.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up changing my BF order from the MP to 6" BH instead. I will keep the regular woodsman / cuban (whatever you want to call it) heel and forego the crepe hope you're proud of me @Legal Eagles lol.
More proud than you know...

Edited: My original post is below, I thought it may have seemed like I was criticizing @theofficialhung...

I am genuinely curious though... I cannot recall so many people going back and changing orders after they are placed?

What's up guys? What changed?

Last edited:

montanamike

Reaction score
What do you think is the root cause of your indecision regarding this pair of boots? The order is placed, the die is cast.

The more changes you make post hoc, the greater the chances of confusion and errors between the order and the builder.

You knew what you wanted when you placed the order, what changed in the interim?

1606855382078.png

wordfool

Reaction score
I am genuinely curious though... I cannot recall so many people going back and changing orders after they are placed?

What's up guys? What changed?

Spending too much time here probably! The more builds I read about and see, the more I find myself second-guessing my own build choices. Should I have got a toe cap on my brown WF Vib100 BHs? Did I get the right edge color and heel shape on the bison SDs?!

I feel like the more one questions one's build choices the less one probably *needs* the boots.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But I will stick with CXL leather, just now second guessing myself between my original choice of color 8 burgundy vs british tan or brown. I already have a natural CXL boot and don't want to get something too similar, will the natural cxl eventually age into a similar shade as british or brown?
@PACostag posted pics of his color 8 burgundy a while ago but I don't remember if his boots were CXL or Shell but they looked amazing. If Burgundy CXL looks like @PACostag boots, you won't regret your choice.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Got my Perry's in the mail today and have been wearing them around for a few hours. First impressions are positive.

Not real break-in feel to speak of, they're pretty comfortable right out the gate. I did swap out the Ortholite insoles they come with for some blue Super feet insoles. I found that with my normal DT socks things were just a tad too crowded in the toe area with the Ortholites. The lower volume Superfeet solved that and still give me good arch support.

The Cristy sole is extremely comfortable. Soft and springy. They almost feel like heavy sneakers.

I normally get a combo 7 D/C in the 55 last, but since these only come in single widths I went with a 7D, just make sure I had plenty of toe room. No issues there, and the heel slip is minimal.

Overall I'm really pleased with these boots, and look forward to beating the snot out of them in my super rugged and rough suburban backyard when things warm up ;)

SLAB

Reaction score
If you get LTT, make sure you get a celastic toe. There is a longitudinal seam in the toe box that it hides. I did NOT get this warning even after two calls pre custom order. You don't want to look at that seam. Everyday. All day. Even In your dreams.
Is it weird i want to look at that seam now? It cant be that bad, cant it?

redbaron1980

Reaction score
It's a Christmas miracle! No sooner did I hit send on my last post then I got an email for Bakers saying the SJs with the Packer heel I ordered for my wife back in September have shipped. I'll post pics when they get here

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a Mercedes so I will to wager that car belongs to @Legal Eagles
Perhaps surprisingly, expensive cars never interested me... I drive a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis... do all my own maintenance (for fun), runs like a top, great condition for 14 years old, big, comfortable, body on frame, RWD, V8, and best of all no car payments... which means more money for boots!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads