• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not need the ankle support of a 8" boot, I work in an office and rarely bounty hunt, farm, ranch, or smokejump. The shorter height is easier on and off and fits my lifestyle better.
Good points! I work in office too so it's better to change heights to 6 inches then.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Yeah I did give them my measurements but Kyel and Brandon and even their rep on the phone gave me different sizes. So I'm going with conventional wisdom of sizing down 0.5 from Red Wing size but up a width to E since my foot is between D and E.

Quack Attack

Reaction score
Yeah I did give them my measurements but Kyel and Brandon and even their rep on the phone gave me different sizes. So I'm going with conventional wisdom of sizing down 0.5 from Red Wing size but up a width to E since my foot is between D and E.

Please shoot me another email and I'll look at these again. Thank you - Kyle

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you have HHs :) what other leathers types boots you own?
Brown Dress (White's) x2
Black Dress (White's) x2
Black Elk Tan (White's)
Black Horse (White's)
Brown Horse (White's)
Burgundy Horse (White's)
Classic Brown (White's)
Brown Domain (Wesco and Nicks)
Black Tie Domain (Wesco)
Burgundy Domain (Nicks)
French Calf (Alden)
Pit Tanned Brown Bison (Viberg)
Redwood (Wesco)

I think that is it...

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a long time lurker and after much agonizing just placed a Black Friday order for MPs in distressed RO with celastic 4 row cap toe. Some questions:
1) I wanted a medium brown RO leather not dark brown, did I make the right choice?
2) I chose MP last and not 55 last, just found out about the 5055 last. I'm a 9.5D brannock and wear 8.5D in all my red wings, 8.5 viberg 2030, 9.5 in all athletic shoes/trainers, 9.5 in all Van's. Should I request the new last or stick with the old MP last? I've heard about the heel being looser on the MP and I hate heel slip.

Welcome to the White's addiction thread!

I can't help with with the fit question on those lasts, but I think you made a good choice on the leather if you want a medium brown. The Distressed Roughout is pretty light (I'd call it "tan") to begin with, but it absorbs both oil and water like a sponge, and will only get darker with age and treatment. If it starts out too light for you, you can always darken it. In my experience it will darken to a mid-brown, somewhat reddish color, sort of like aged copper pipe.

The Brown Roughout (oil tan) actually is surprisingly light to begin with, but with any treatment that I have used (neatsfoot, Obenauf's oil or wax, SnoSeal mixed with neatsfoot) it will darken to a rich milk chocolate color, which sounds too dark for what you want. Never having used some of the products like Venetian Shoe Cream that are supposed to be color-neutral, I don't know if they will darken roughout or not, but to my understanding they are not really designed to provide water resistance like the oils and waxes I use. Someone who uses those products will be of more help as to what you might expect on roughout.

Good luck!
Regan

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the White's addiction thread!

I can't help with with the fit question on those lasts, but I think you made a good choice on the leather if you want a medium brown. The Distressed Roughout is pretty light (I'd call it "tan") to begin with, but it absorbs both oil and water like a sponge, and will only get darker with age and treatment. If it starts out too light for you, you can always darken it. In my experience it will darken to a mid-brown, somewhat reddish color, sort of like aged copper pipe.

The Brown Roughout (oil tan) actually is surprisingly light to begin with, but with any treatment that I have used (neatsfoot, Obenauf's oil or wax, SnoSeal mixed with neatsfoot) it will darken to a rich milk chocolate color, which sounds too dark for what you want. Never having used some of the products like Venetian Shoe Cream that are supposed to be color-neutral, I don't know if they will darken roughout or not, but to my understanding they are not really designed to provide water resistance like the oils and waxes I use. Someone who uses those products will be of more help as to what you might expect on roughout.

Good luck!
Regan
I considered Distressed smooth and British tan, ended up ordering British tan.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the photos I've seen lately, the British Tan is considerably darker than Distressed, almost as dark as brown oiltan. Not a bad choice at all, as long as you know it's not "tan".
I like the patina it develops especially if you look at the limited edition British tan pics!

discomute

Reaction score
Cleaning on the inside of the boots - I'd never considered that

My are unlined though - surely I can't add conditioner without dramatically affecting the leather... Or can I? (I use saphir renovataur)

wordfool

Reaction score
Looking at @Legal Eagles collection it seems he has only one pair of boots that's 8 inches taller.
I ordered two BHs in 8inches height thinking it would provide better ankle support plus all of my AE boots are 6 inches tall.
As a first time White's customer I dont know anything : ),should I change the height to 6 or 7 considering I ordered HH and British tan leathers and I wear boots year around?

You probably know as much about your preferred boot height as the rest of us do about ours! I'm always of the mindset "if it ain't broke..." and I've spent my life in the 6"-7" boot world, never once wishing I had more boot height or ankle support. If I'm climbing or hiking I'll use dedicated boots designed for the activity, otherwise I'm not doing anything especially physically taxing when wearing regular boots. Plus I don't wear boots with shorts (such people do exist apparently!) so even looks-wise any extra height would be wasted. YMMV.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably know as much about your preferred boot height as the rest of us do about ours! I'm always of the mindset "if it ain't broke..." and I've spent my life in the 6"-7" boot world, never once wishing I had more boot height or ankle support. If I'm climbing or hiking I'll use dedicated boots designed for the activity, otherwise I'm not doing anything especially physically taxing when wearing regular boots. Plus I don't wear boots with shorts (such people do exist apparently!) so even looks-wise any extra height would be wasted. YMMV.
Thank you Sir, one question about height, is it measured from the welt or does it include the "out" sole?

wordfool

Reaction score
Thank you Sir, one question about height, is it measured from the welt or does it include the "out" sole?
Height usually refers to the upper only, so is usually measured from the welt (top of midsole). Some manufacturers might have slightly different ways of measuring, however, and in the case of a boot with a sloped top (like the SD) it's usually an average height or the height in the middle of the boot opening -- from the midsole my SDs (sold as a 5" boot) are 5.5" to the highest point of the upper (front) and 4.5" high to the top of the backstay, for example. From the floor to the highest part of the upper they're 7" tall

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Height usually refers to the upper only, so is usually measured from the welt (top of midsole). Some manufacturers might have slightly different ways of measuring, however, and in the case of a boot with a sloped top (like the SD) it's usually an average height or the height in the middle of the boot opening -- from the midsole my SDs (sold as a 5" boot) are 5.5" to the highest point of the upper (front) and 4.5" high to the top of the backstay, for example. From the floor to the highest part of the upper they're 7" tall
Awesome! I am wearing AE ( Allen Edmonds) long branches right now and they are 7 inches tall from the welt so are AE waterproof Rangers. On the other hand AE Higgins Mill and Normandys are 6inches.
I think 8inches White's might not be bad, I just walked 1.6 miles in Long branches. On account of my high arches I walk in AE boots lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads