• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank You! I was too shy to suggest maybe the biggest part of the swish was to restore a morw neutral ph. I am guilty of exposing this brown oil tan leather to bleach and other acids, manmade and chemicals over the past few years. I clean mostly with lexol cleaner inside, to remove mud etc. The question than do i clean with baking soda swish once in a blue moon to help balance ghe acidity of workboots? Or is it as you say just the most gentle and responsible way to clean the interior(these are unlined btw). The intent is to sanitize, clean and keep these going for decades if possible. Lots of mud, lots of mildew regularly.
If the inside gets dirty, use leather cleaner and condition (how exactly does the inside of the boot get dirty?) as frequently as necessary.

Once in a blue moon if you notice odors or your feet are particularly sweaty, perform the swish, then condition afterward...

Netvine

Reaction score
I think @Netvine was talking about occupational exposure on the outside of the boot... at least I hope so... ;)

Sometimes whatever I am into is taller than my boots and things happen. 6” bounty hunter is a good height. The 5” SD HH i owned as well(only reno and lexol on those). I have a pair of 8” 4811’s that doesnt seem to be the sweet spot but I’m happy to have them. The only problem is too often on occasion i get debris or mud or water or something, usually from a careless misstep. Even when i clean with lexol and a rag the grime inside builds up over time. This time of year up here in coastal redwood country its always a fight to make everything feel like its not rotting away. I start looking at the boot dryer like its going to grow mushrooms on the end of my vamps.

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
Make it stop! Just ordered another (my sixth) pair of White's and, I swear, this time it's my last. Fifth pair was ordered a week ago -- brown WF Bounty Hunters with vib100 sole for winter ****-kicker duty (hopefully they'll arrive fairly early next year in time for the worst winter weather). Sixth and final pair was more for fun and to fully even up my black vs brown White's balance -- brown bison SDs with commando half sole (and a request for the chunkiest-grained leather available). I opted for no toe cap to keep the price down a bit, but also to let the weirdness of the leather shine a bit more without other embellishments.

With so many pairs (White's and others) in rotation I can honestly say that I see no need for any more boots in my life for many more years. TBH I struggle to justify six pairs of Whites, but that's water under the proverbial bridge now!

I am curious what members of this community mean by a rounded out rotation.

Could you post a family pic? Sounds like you ordered some sweet builds

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would say, 3 black, 2 brown, 2 dark brown, 2 burgundy, 2 pairs of strictly work boots, 2 pairs of strictly dress boots, 3 pairs of oxfords (black, brown, and burgundy) are well rounded enough to allow ones boots sufficient rest between wearing... “My name is Legal Eagles, and I am a PNW boot addict... “ “Hello Legal Eagles...”
4147A3FE-32A0-4748-BE2F-814FC9CE9100.jpeg

wordfool

Reaction score
I would say, 3 black, 2 brown, 2 dark brown, 2 burgundy, 2 pairs of strictly work boots, 2 pairs of strictly dress boots, 3 pairs of oxfords (black, brown, and burgundy) are well rounded enough to allow ones boots sufficient rest between wearing... “My name is Legal Eagles, and I am a PNW boot addict... “ “Hello Legal Eagles...”

Hello Legal Eagles, and thankyou for making me realize all is not lost for me quite yet. I think I can leave the meeting for the time being. You have one more pair on the way from this sale, don't you?

Was planning to post pics them all together when the final two pairs arrive, sometime in January I hope. My current pairs are classic brown dress SDs (my first pair of White's), black dress BHs with medallion toe cap (and standard-height block heel), black WF MP-M1, and black roughout SDs with black edges and lowered block heel. I posted a pic of the four different heels a while back

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Legal Eagles, and thankyou for making me realize all is not lost for me quite yet. I think I can leave the meeting for the time being. You have one more pair on the way from this sale, don't you?
Yes, to fill the obvious tan/ natural void in my collection... just one more fix, then I will get clean... I promise!

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a long time lurker and after much agonizing just placed a Black Friday order for MPs in distressed RO with celastic 4 row cap toe. Some questions:
1) I wanted a medium brown RO leather not dark brown, did I make the right choice?
2) I chose MP last and not 55 last, just found out about the 5055 last. I'm a 9.5D brannock and wear 8.5D in all my red wings, 8.5 viberg 2030, 9.5 in all athletic shoes/trainers, 9.5 in all Van's. Should I request the new last or stick with the old MP last? I've heard about the heel being looser on the MP and I hate heel slip.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, to fill the obvious tan/ natural void in my collection... just one more fix, then I will get clean... I promise!
Yeah!!!! I also noticed you dont have any waxed flesh or any of the "exotic" leathers

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a long time lurker and after much agonizing just placed a Black Friday order for MPs in distressed RO with celastic 4 row cap toe. Some questions:
1) I wanted a medium brown RO leather not dark brown, did I make the right choice?
2) I chose MP last and not 55 last, just found out about the 5055 last. I'm a 9.5D brannock and wear 8.5D in all my red wings, 8.5 viberg 2030, 9.5 in all athletic shoes/trainers, 9.5 in all Van's. Should I request the new last or stick with the old MP last? I've heard about the heel being looser on the MP and I hate heel slip.
I placed orders for a couple of BHs. I would recommend sending your feet measurements to White's/Baker.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at @Legal Eagles collection it seems he has only one pair of boots that's 8 inches taller.
I ordered two BHs in 8inches height thinking it would provide better ankle support plus all of my AE boots are 6 inches tall.
As a first time White's customer I dont know anything : ),should I change the height to 6 or 7 considering I ordered HH and British tan leathers and I wear boots year around?

Netvine

Reaction score
Looking at @Legal Eagles collection it seems he has only one pair of boots that's 8 inches taller.
I ordered two BHs in 8inches height thinking it would provide better ankle support plus all of my AE boots are 6 inches tall.
As a first time White's customer I dont know anything : ),should I change the height to 6 or 7 considering I ordered HH and British tan leathers and I wear boots year around?

6” worked best for me but I am 5’7” if you are taller 7-8” might feel better. On my 8” i just leave the top two eyelets very loose or undone most of the time, it makes for a better looking boot too in the 4811 lasts too imho.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah!!!! I also noticed you dont have any waxed flesh or any of the "exotic" leathers
Waxed flesh won't shine, and I am all about that shine... plus waxed flesh is actually just Chromexcel but finished on the flesh side... and you know my feelings about CXL for boots!

As far as shell... that could be a dangerous step given my addiction...
1606678027421.png

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not need the ankle support of a 8" boot, I work in an office and rarely bounty hunt, farm, ranch, or smokejump. The shorter height is easier on and off and fits my lifestyle better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads