• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don’t wear them get rid of them. Even with the loss it’s not worth keeping shoes you don’t wear, and if you only get a bit for them it’s still a bit you can put toward white’s/other purchases. If you want to avoid fees I’m sure there’s an AE BST over on the CM side.
That's a great idea, I think three pairs of AE (sale) will get me one pair of White's (sale price) but I am sure I would love to wear White's.
By the way what is "CM side" ?
Thanks

Luscombe

Reaction score
I have a ton of AE boots, they are great especially for the price but have no arch support. I could try to sell them but Ebay fees and return policy among other things are making me hesitant. I would probably make half of what I have paid for the new pairs(AE).
I dont know if I should keep them or take a loss and get rid of them?
That's probably one of the reasons I am a little cautious about White's. Although there is no comparison between the two brand but I would hate to make the same mistake!!!
Man, I need to get out of the house, oh shoot ! Most of the places are closed or closing early lol
I agree that this is a great sale and dangerous to the finances. That said, I would make sure your Whites fit you properly before going all in.

I too have quite a few pairs of AE's and they do not see much rotation. If my recrafts fit me correctly, they are at home now and we are gone until Sunday, I will be safe with the pair of SD HH I ordered this week and will thin the AE's out. Given how long it takes to break White's in, I have at least 6-9 months of break in time before I will need to order another pair. That could be fathers day sale or Bakers anniversary sale.

Baker's and Whites are going to be around for a good while.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that this is a great sale and dangerous to the finances. That said, I would make sure your Whites fit you properly before going all in.

I too have quite a few pairs of AE's and they do not see much rotation. If my recrafts fit me correctly, they are at home now and we are gone until Sunday, I will be safe with the pair of SD HH I ordered this week and will thin the AE's out. Given how long it takes to break White's in, I have at least 6-9 months of break in time before I will need to order another pair. That could be fathers day sale or Bakers anniversary sale.

Baker's and Whites are going to be around for a good while.
I think I will wait and try to sell some AEs. I counted and three pairs are still new (never worn). Part of the reason is coronavirus but it's mainly the lack of arch support.
How much were anniversary sale and Father's Day sale last year? Almost same, around 20% off?

Luscombe

Reaction score
I think I will wait and try to sell some AEs. I counted and three pairs are still new (never worn). Part of the reason is coronavirus but it's mainly the lack of arch support.
How much were anniversary sale and Father's Day sale last year? Almost same, around 20% off?
The anniversary sale was Horse Hide for no extra upcharge. That was good but not 20% good. I think Father's Day was 10%.

The whole reason I got interested in White's is the comfort arch. I have experienced some of that but not with a correct fitting boot yet. The AE's are really underwhelming after wearing Whites. I am working on a DIY silicon instep for my AE's just so I can wear them. I saw a youtube on how to do it. I'll try it in my White's MP's too as they have little arch support.

I hear about guys selling used shoes and boots but I have not had any luck even listing on Ebay. It seems you have to price them at 50% or less to sell unless they are very special.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The anniversary sale was Horse Hide for no extra upcharge. That was good but not 20% good. I think Father's Day was 10%.

The whole reason I got interested in White's is the comfort arch. I have experienced some of that but not with a correct fitting boot yet. The AE's are really underwhelming after wearing Whites. I am working on a DIY silicon instep for my AE's just so I can wear them. I saw a youtube on how to do it. I'll try it in my White's MP's too as they have little arch support.

I hear about guys selling used shoes and boots but I have not had any luck even listing on Ebay. It seems you have to price them at 50% or less to sell unless they are very special.
I have read about White's boots' arch support where someone described it like standing on a rung of a ladder. You didn't experience much arch support even in BHs?
My observation about Ebay is similar. Selling on Ebay sounds like a part time job, if not full time : ) and the prices people expect are ridiculous.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I have read about White's boots' arch support where someone described it like standing on a rung of a ladder. You didn't experience much arch support even in BHs?
My observation about Ebay is similar. Selling on Ebay sounds like a part time job, if not full time : ) and the prices people expect are ridiculous.
It was my MP's that do not have much support. The SD's have the comfort arch and I have heard the same comments. It takes some time for the leather arch to break in and conform to our arch. Once it gets to that point, the comfort is sublime.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Well, my White's Black Friday order arrived in the mail already....

1MI2N6t.jpg

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
That's a great idea, I think three pairs of AE (sale) will get me one pair of White's (sale price) but I am sure I would love to wear White's.
By the way what is "CM side" ?
Thanks
CM is the classic menswear part of the forum

probablycantaffordit

Reaction score
I’m looking to take advantage of the BF sale and order a pair of the okanogan suedes on the 55 last. This’ll be my first pair of whites. If I’m a 10.5E on the Alden barrie last, with room in the toe, should I got a 10EEE or 10.5E in the whites? TIA.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to take advantage of the BF sale and order a pair of the okanogan suedes on the 55 last. This’ll be my first pair of whites. If I’m a 10.5E on the Alden barrie last, with room in the toe, should I got a 10EEE or 10.5E in the whites? TIA.
Given the binary choice you presented, I would go with the 10.5E... if you have room in the toe of the Alden Barrie, a White's 55 last in EEE (F in White's speak) will be too wide...

probablycantaffordit

Reaction score
Given the binary choice you presented, I would go with the 10.5E... if you have room in the toe of the Alden Barrie, a White's 55 last in EEE (F in White's speak) will be too wide...
Allow me to rephrase, counselor. I fit Alden 10.5e on Barrie and 10.5d trubalance pretty well with boot socks. I’m between a 10.5 and 11e on brannock. Is there another size you’d recommend, like 10.5D? Thanks.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know @andy b. owns White's packers pointed toe, who else has bought packers?
@Legal Eagles ??
I don't see many pictures of Packers with pointed toe, it appears most of the folks wear BHs and SJs.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allow me to rephrase, counselor. I fit Alden 10.5e on Barrie and 10.5d trubalance pretty well with boot socks. I’m between a 10.5 and 11e on brannock. Is there another size you’d recommend, like 10.5D? Thanks.
If you haven't sent feet measurements to White's already, I would start with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads