• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
That’s interesting. Do you have a low volume foot? I have little experience with AE, but I did have a couple pairs on the 65 years ago and a D width in that last was incredibly narrow.

The smokejumper last, not the 55, I’ve read is more narrow so maybe going to an E would make sense. As far as a full size down from brannock, maybe there’s more experienced people that can answer as I’ve only tried the 55, and the C641 lasts and half size down was spot on.

Yeah the Allen Edmonds I have are all slightly tight in the toe box but they're close enough where I have worn them many hours. I have a low volume foot, moderate arch, ball of my foot is somewhat wide ( probably an E width at the toe box)

I also ordered a custom pair of Nicks Builder Pros for work and they sized me at a 9D with a try on pair. Their sizing is supposed to be similar to Whites. So I'm just hoping that if my Bounty Hunters come in slightly short that I won't be screwed and out $600 for boots I can't wear

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I can only tell you what my experience has been... but I like my boots a little bigger, so if the White's was actually 1/2 larger than the Alden, and I ordered my Alden Barrie size in White's, it would likely "feel" good to me.
Very helpful, thanks.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
After quite a bit of back and forth with Kyle, 2 sets of tracings, the customer service rep at Bakers convinced me to try an 8.5E for my bounty hunters ( my spec was a cinnamon waxed flesh cruiser with a 430 sole).
My Brannock is also 9.5D and I wear 9.5 D Allen Edmonds 65 last and 8.5D red wing 8 last.

My order is about a week or two from delivery. Hoping I have some recourse assuming the sizing is wrong and I need that 9D like you.

I’m on the same boat as you. Brandon at Bakers emailed me back after I gave him my specs and he also said to take an 8.5.

I know it comes down to preference but it’s so difficult for me to place an order.

however, all the advice following has been helpful. I might go with your guys’ suggestion and go only .5 down from brannock. If it fits like Aldens 379x (military last) I might go with that. I’m not familiar with Barrie or trubalance. Is the 379x the same as one of those lasts?

js0930

Reaction score
After quite a bit of back and forth with Kyle, 2 sets of tracings, the customer service rep at Bakers convinced me to try an 8.5E for my bounty hunters ( my spec was a cinnamon waxed flesh cruiser with a 430 sole).
My Brannock is also 9.5D and I wear 9.5 D Allen Edmonds 65 last and 8.5D red wing 8 last.

My order is about a week or two from delivery. Hoping I have some recourse assuming the sizing is wrong and I need that 9D like you.

Whites sizing (length wise) is pretty similar to Red Wing. On the other hand, I’m wearing pretty close to my Brannock size in my Whites semi dress. Feet are so different, it’s hard to give a generic answer.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
Whites sizing (length wise) is pretty similar to Red Wing. On the other hand, I’m wearing pretty close to my Brannock size in my Whites semi dress. Feet are so different, it’s hard to give a generic answer.

Lol this is why it’s so hard to order. Boards suggest a 9 but reps suggest an 8.5.

either way, all the suggestions and tips are much appreciated and helpful in narrowing down the sizing so thanks again to everyone!

js0930

Reaction score
Lol this is why it’s so hard to order. Boards suggest a 9 but reps suggest an 8.5.

either way, all the suggestions and tips are much appreciated and helpful in narrowing down the sizing so thanks again to everyone!

Yeah I’m lucky enough to have a Danner store nearby and they can order in Whites to try on in any last I want. To me, nothing compares to actually having the boots on your feet.

klank74

Reaction score
Yeah the Allen Edmonds I have are all slightly tight in the toe box but they're close enough where I have worn them many hours. I have a low volume foot, moderate arch, ball of my foot is somewhat wide ( probably an E width at the toe box)
your feet sound like a perfect candidate for the 38 swing last? trust me, I know, my feet are very similar to yours. The 38 fits mine perfectly.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I were choosing between two half sizes, I would go larger every time... a half size in length is 1/6 of an inch... not really very much at all.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
If I were choosing between two half sizes, I would go larger every time... a half size in length is 1/6 of an inch... not really very much at all.

I think that's sound advice, especially if you've not sized with a particular White's last before. A boot that is slightly too big can be "filled" with a thicker pair of socks or an insole. A boot that is too short just can't be made to fit right, especially if you're going to be outdoors in it.

ExtraitdeMinimalist

Reaction score

i would go with the 8.5e tbh.
Or if your foot/heel is average width, 8.5d for a snugger heel.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would go with the 8.5e tbh.
Or if your foot/heel is average width, 8.5d for a snugger heel.
I agree, the consensus on reddit and here is, trust Kyle! he is our General!
just curious, did Baker offer a try on pair?

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
I agree, the consensus on reddit and here is, trust Kyle! he is our General!
just curious, did Baker offer a try on pair?

I was sent a size 8E smokejumpers to try on. My big toe was almost to the tip of the boot and the width was quite tight. Customer service recommended I go up to 8.5E when they confirmed my order. I am blindly trusting that the suggestion was right and hoping for the best

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads