• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The combination of Black Friday sales and forums like this have my bank account begging for mercy :crazy: I just ordered some brown WF Bounty Hunters because I needed a pair of 100-lug-soled winter ****-kickers, and now all the purdy pictures and build posts has my mind wandering to splurging on something prettier as an early Xmas gift to myself for surviving twenty-effing-twenty!

I've always been fascinated by brown bison (in a classic SD build with commando half sole) but am wondering if I'll hate that leather's weird showiness and end up never wearing them. And then there's the minor issue of whether to get a toecap or not -- does such a textured leather really warrant a toe cap? I think not. And does bison need lining? I hope not for my bank account's sake. Opinions, suggestions, discouragement, encouragement all welcome.

definitely does not need a cap (looks better without one IMO since the texture will likely be wildly different between cap and vamp). And I believe it does need to be lined - it's a very subtle leather. 100% recommend brown bison

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
definitely does not need a cap (looks better without one IMO since the texture will likely be wildly different between cap and vamp). And I believe it does need to be lined - it's a very subtle leather. 100% recommend brown bison
I will offer a counter viewpoint on bison and cap toes... I personally like brown bison with a toe cap... these are from another maker, but the toe cap on this last in this leather just works for me... @PACostag is correct, the texture of the cap will be different, as the toe cap will be stretched, removing some of the texture, but I would not say it is "wildly different"...

The bison is a good choice for those tired of smooth leather, and wanting something tough with a little more character...
012D51D1-A5E6-426D-B1E2-DE2464C5D218.jpeg
4F2C6BAC-5BE4-4899-AC2D-CC460C1272D5.jpeg
BFCE6A33-EE31-4A1F-9B18-CF167909A985.jpeg

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I understand the confusion, and apologize that I misunderstood the question. I, too, get lost when the lines blur between boots intended for work and those intended for more leisurely purposes. There is no apparent practical purpose for the patches on the "Poleclimber Oxfords" pictured above, but obviously folks like them. They buy the boots and shoes they like, and I buy the boots that I like (and that I think are "cool" - with apologies and respect to @iamntbatman and @e0d9n0b5! ;) ). All is well!

I mean, when you get down to it, there's no real purpose behind a lot of the stuff people wear. Why would you wear a leather motorcycle jacket if you don't ride a motorcycle? Why do people wear shooting jackets but not even own a gun, let alone hunt? Why would you wear brogued shoes that don't even allow water to escape the shoe more easily as is their intended purpose? Lots of casual clothing borrows bits of functionality from more work-oriented clothing and that's totally fine I think!

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, when you get down to it, there's no real purpose behind a lot of the stuff people wear. Why would you wear a leather motorcycle jacket if you don't ride a motorcycle? Why do people wear shooting jackets but not even own a gun, let alone hunt? Why would you wear brogued shoes that don't even allow water to escape the shoe more easily as is their intended purpose? Lots of casual clothing borrows bits of functionality from more work-oriented clothing and that's totally fine I think!

I think both of our points were that’s an aesthetic that has taken a turn from the standard, practical version. So to repurpose your analogy, it would be like having that motorcycle or shooting jacket but as a crop top, made out of silk.

Anyways, didn’t meant to offend. I think they look cool AF. I just was looking for clarify that it was a visual adaptation from what I understood traditional versions to be.

discomute

Reaction score
I wore my Main Streets today, first time in a while given we are coming out of lockdown. They are a really underrated boot on these parts, yes I know they are GYW. Also it really cemented for me that the Barrie last fits my foot better than the 55. Shame the arch support is so light on or I'd likely stick to it.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I think both of our points were that’s an aesthetic that has taken a turn from the standard, practical version. So to repurpose your analogy, it would be like having that motorcycle or shooting jacket but as a crop top, made out of silk.

Anyways, didn’t meant to offend. I think they look cool AF. I just was looking for clarify that it was a visual adaptation from what I understood traditional versions to be.

No offense taken, but I think your examples are a bit extreme. If a 16" White's lineman boot is the motorcycle jacket and a 7" bounty hunter with a lineman patch is the fashion-modified version, I'd say it's more akin to a lamb or goatskin motorcycle jacket maybe, with a longer length (more practical for casual wear but not for sitting on a bike) and shorter sleeves (long ones aren't necessary if you aren't raising your arms up to the handlebars). Not really protective, nor designed in exactly the same way as the original protective garment, but visually still not extremely far off from the original.

krebsy

Reaction score
Can't help but wish the 5050 last was available when I ordered these, but still pleased with the boots. I'm toying with the idea of the Smoke Jumper pattern on a 5050 last in order to make a White's heritage styled boot with an MP Profile. That would allow for more customization than what seems to be offered on the MP, along with the White's arch. ?
IMG_20201125_114515713.jpg

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really protective, nor designed in exactly the same way as the original protective garment, but visually still not extremely far off from the original.
That ultimately was the point I was trying to make haha. Its not even visually the same. Much smaller footprint, hence not to the same efficacy hence a cropped jacket. Anyway, your last comments has renewed my interest for a buttery smooth goat skin moto jacket. Just what I needed, an additional, expensive obsession.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah man, your mistakes was letting them think you were @smartbrother. Next time let them know you have no affiliation and will only use it to troll him. They should be able to hook it up then.
I have found this to be true... for the "right" customer, Baker's and Whites will do unlimited variations of eyelets and hooks, number, and location.

One time I wanted 4 eyelets and 3 hooks on a SD... after sending them an affidavit stating I was not in fact @smartbrother and had no affiliation with him, they whipped me up these little beauties... I could have asked for 8, 9, or 10... it is all about knowing the secret handshake...
1606328867690.png

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah man, your mistakes was letting them think you were @smartbrother. Next time let them know you have no affiliation and will only use it to troll him. They should be able to hook it up then.
I have found this to be true... for the "right" customer, Baker's and Whites will do unlimited variations of eyelets and hooks, number, and location.

One time I wanted 4 eyelets and 3 hooks on a SD... after sending them an affidavit stating I was not in fact @smartbrother and had no affiliation with him, they whipped me up these little beauties... I could have asked for 8, 9, or 10... it is all about knowing the secret handshake...
View attachment 1504663
1606331944560.gif

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baker's/White's hooked me up! I sent in my black HH SD's to get a warranty fix due to a squeak. The vamps had some bad grain break, but nothing I couldn't live with. Got my boots back today and they were rebuilt at no cost to me! When HH creases right, it really creases right!

(sorry no before and after pics!)

View attachment 1504663
Okay, it's settled! I am leaving Engineering and going to enroll in Law school. Around 15 pairs of White's (Viberg, Nicks etc) and a Rolex!!!!!!
I am sold!!!

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Could anybody that has the Baker's Oxford speak to arch support? I asked Kyle about the last and he said it's between the 55 and the barrie, but I've read on here that it's completely flat so I wanted to get more info.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's settled! I am leaving Engineering and going to enroll in Law school. Around 15 pairs of White's (Viberg, Nicks etc) and a Rolex!!!!!!
I am sold!!!
Lest you think I am trying to show off (far from it)... let me set the record straight... I did not purchase that Rolex, it is a 25 year old 2 line sub I wear every day... and used to be my dad's before he passed.

That being said it is my most prized material possession in all the world.

See here:

Honestly if my dad's watch did not have sentimental value, I would wear a G-Shock. There is no way I would pay today's prices for a Rolex... the market has gone crazy...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads