• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
It looks good, but that has to be a nightmare to lace up.
I find that if you have a long enough lace, you don't even have to unlace the eyelets; you just loosen the laces off until you can get your foot out.

When you put the boots on, you just pull the laces tight, wrap the extra lace around the shaft, and tie as normal. I find it's a quicker method than speed hooks, and eyelets don't eat leather laces the same way hooks can.

It won't work with a ten inch boot, but for seven or eight eyelets, the 'extra long lace method' is super convenient.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks good, but that has to be a nightmare to lace up.

not really, but I understand where you're coming from, less of a pain than my standard all-eyelet BHs (which are a huge pain in the a$$ to put on for various reasons for me)

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@Jimk4003 - I used to always tie a knot at the end of the laces on my combat boots. You could pull the laces loose fast & all the way without undoing anything. Made it easy to take your boots off & never have to worry about relacing them.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
@Jimk4003 - I used to always tie a knot at the end of the laces on my combat boots. You could pull the laces loose fast & all the way without undoing anything. Made it easy to take your boots off & never have to worry about relacing them.
Very useful, thanks.

Another intriguing method that I saw was the 'World War I' lacing method that someone was demoing on a pair of William Lennon B5 recreation boots.

Basically, you tie a knot at one end of the lace as a stopper, then feed the lace out from the inside of the bottom eyelet. Then you just bar lace all the way up. That leaves you with one free end at the top which you just pull tight, wrap around the ankle, and stuff into the top of your boot. Apparently it was handy for getting your boots on and off in a hurry when you were in the trenches.

Luscombe

Reaction score
1606184002560.png

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Alright, finalized my Bounty Hunter order with Baker's:

Last: Semi-dress 55 last
Leather: Olive Waxed Flesh all over
Lining Leather - No Thanks
Lace Design: Lace to Toe
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Brass Eyes and Hooks (Top Garment = Eye)
Cut Top
Midsole - Double
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Dr. Sole red/brown half sole
Sole Trim - Standard Double Row
7" Height
Length - 11
Width - E
That new retro White's logo if that's standard now
Lineman patches
Khaki upper stitching

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

andy b.

Reaction score
My 8" SJs have 11 eyelets. My feeling is that whoever is building the boots just kind of looks at them and thinks "this seems like a nice number of eyelets for this pair".
Which I'm sure causes all kinds of aggravation for the stitch counters. And I laugh. LOL
John Deere builds tractors. You can stick a Ferrari emblem on one. And every time you open your garage door and expect to see a Ferrari, it will still be a John Deere tractor. Both expensive, but not the same.

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
Counter Leather: Black Rough Out
Toe Vamp Leather: Black Rough Out
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Black Rough Out
Leather Liner: Black
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops [ $15.00 ]
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe [ $35.00 ]
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Toe Cap Leather Color: Does Not Apply - NO Toe Cap
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Black Eyes & Hooks
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Midsole: Single
Edge: Black
Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
Heel Lifts: 1/4"Lower
Sole: Vibram 100 Lug
Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch)
Height: 7"
Size - Length: 9
Size - Width: E
Logos / Embossing: No logos or Embossing

Requested black stitching throughout w/ white stitching at the welt
Requested lineman patch on the right boot in black roughout

hopefully arriving soon

Jimk4003

Reaction score
My 8" SJs have 11 eyelets. My feeling is that whoever is building the boots just kind of looks at them and thinks "this seems like a nice number of eyelets for this pair".
Which I'm sure causes all kinds of aggravation for the stitch counters. And I laugh. LOL
John Deere builds tractors. You can stick a Ferrari emblem on one. And every time you open your garage door and expect to see a Ferrari, it will still be a John Deere tractor. Both expensive, but not the same.
That's fine of course if no specific eyelet configuration is requested. But if you specify eight eyelets, or five eyelets and three hooks, and that order is accepted and confirmed, then that's what should be showing up.

Even John Deere have a configurator page for their tractors. If they don't supply what was ordered, it's on them to put it right.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
I've just curious, and mean no offense at all -
What's the reason for adding the lineman's patch on the Bounty Hunter/Semi-dress boots? Since the last two orders here include the patches, it just caught my attention. These boots are not tall enough to be wearing lineman's gaffs with, so I figured there must be another reason.

@e0d9n0b5, the patch on the right boot (only) must be intended for a specific reason? I thought motorcycle shifter perhaps, but that would be on the left boot...

Again, simply curious. Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads