• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
@Chrikelnel & @Mathazzz - Baker’s does throw down a solid Black Friday sale & it’s likely worth the wait. Kyle also has something up his sleeve that might also be worth waiting for so the timing might work out well. In the meantime it might be a great opportunity to order a try on pair to confirm sizing on whatever last you are considering.

@andy b. - that’s solid real-world feedback bro!

@discomute -

View attachment 1488105

Put some HH to work this afternoon. They’ll clean nicely
View attachment 1488106
I decided to split the difference and buy @ExtraitdeMinimalist 's pair now and also pick another one up during the sale if I like them. Any details you can share on what Kyle is up to? I'm intrigued.

klank74

Reaction score
Today was the first time I’ve worn my SD’s for a full day since I got them and I’m so very happy with them. Ran a bunch of errands today and then took my youngest trick or treating this evening. Lots of walking and I feel pretty good. Little discomfort in the ankle ( probably has them tied a bit too tight) and the balls of my feet ( been awhile since I’ve worn anything with a hard, leather inside). But... no fatigue in my instep or my lower back. If I would have been in my Iron Rangers today, my feet and lower back would have been in pain. So worth the money!
E7CAD7A9-1AC5-4BEA-9A9D-E8884F7804C7.jpeg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was the first time I’ve worn my SD’s for a full day since I got them and I’m so very happy with them. Ran a bunch of errands today and then took my youngest trick or treating this evening. Lots of walking and I feel pretty good. Little discomfort in the ankle ( probably has them tied a bit too tight) and the balls of my feet ( been awhile since I’ve worn anything with a hard, leather inside). But... no fatigue in my instep or my lower back. If I would have been in my Iron Rangers today, my feet and lower back would have been in pain. So worth the money! View attachment 1488249
I never cease to be amazed at how much difference a good pair of boots can make to your whole body... ankles, knees, back, even shoulders and neck... get the foundation right, and the rest aligns itself, creating a harmonious effect... I wish more people could experience this epiphany...

Once you get used to it however, everything else will pale by comparison, and regular boots will feel like Chuck Taylors...

Luscombe

Reaction score
You own one pair of socks?

And my drink shot right out of my nose. You can't play on this forum with just one pair of anything.

The rule in my house is, if you want another one you have to get rid of one you are not using/wearing.

Today I bought a pair of DT Merino thin hikers cause on Tuesday I threw one of my Smart Wool pair out. They had literally worn down to the threads in the heel area.
I am systematically transitioning to all merino, DT merino socks and Saxx merino skivvies and under shirts.

Yeah, so don't get me started on just one pair of anything when in hot pursuit of a holy grail shoe, boot, sock, underwear, shall I go on?. The White's journey like all other pursuits is like Lays potato chips, you can't stop with just one. All you guys out there posting here are just "enablers".

When the 5050 "B" width last is available, 6-8 weeks, and burgundy HH is available, 6-8 months, and I can get a Stevens without a Danite sole, I will place my next order. Unfortunately, none of these will happen until 2021, if at all, so no Black Friday White's this year for me.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I never cease to be amazed at how much difference a good pair of boots can make to your whole body... ankles, knees, back, even shoulders and neck... get the foundation right, and the rest aligns itself, creating a harmonious effect... I wish more people could experience this epiphany...

Once you get used to it however, everything else will pale by comparison, and regular boots will feel like Chuck Taylors...
My Dad always told me that there were two things I needed to make sure I got right. Good shoes that fit and a good bed. Fantastic advice since most of our time we spend on our feet and in bed.

I do not scrimp on either and have never regretted a singe $ spent.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Dad always told me that there were two things I needed to make sure I got right. Good shoes that fit and a good bed. Fantastic advice since most of our time we spend on our feet and in bed.

I do not scrimp on either and have never regretted a singe $ spent.
My father (RIP) had a list of rules for life he handed down to his sons, one of them was, "spend money on the things that come between you and the ground"... by which he meant buy good footwear, good tires, and a good mattress... seems your dad was cut from the same cloth...

I am feeling a little nostalgic tonight, so I will post the list... maybe some of you will get a chuckle... the Latin translates roughly to "Poor people are crazy... I am eccentric..." which pretty much sums up my dad...

Attachments

• Stuff my father used to say...pdf
    81.5 KB · Views: 151

js0930

Reaction score
I'm curious, too, although IIRC that sole is only available on the non-MTO Okanogan and to my eyes it look broadly similar to the 100 with only minor differences in lug shape/depth that might or might not trap less mud. I wish White's would offer a hybrid like the Vibram Raptor or the Itshide Commando sole (used on Truman boots) because I agree the 430 sole, with it's small, shallow lug area, is basically little different to the 700 in terms of grip.

It’s also available on the White’s collab with Filson. More interesting question to me is did they change the composition of the sole? Treads only tell you so much...

klank74

Reaction score

Years ago I suffered from heel spurs pretty bad. I limped around with them for so long I actually fractured a bone in my foot. After going through that and visiting a foot doctor, I learned the value of quality boots and arch support. 20 years of manual labor, working on concrete, and being over weight has definitely taken its toll, but I shutter to think what shape I would be in if I hadn’t learned that lesson years ago.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the 5050 "B" width last is available, 6-8 weeks, and burgundy HH is available, 6-8 months, and I can get a Stevens without a Danite sole, I will place my next order. Unfortunately, none of these will happen until 2021, if at all, so no Black Friday White's this year for me.
I am planning to order two pairs of BHs in HH on Black Friday, is Burgundy HH not in stock?

Luscombe

Reaction score
I am planning to order two pairs of BHs in HH on Black Friday, is Burgundy HH not in stock?
I emailed Kyle earlier this week. This is what he said.

B widths are coming! The lasts are on order. I would suspect about 4-6 weeks on those.

Regarding burgundy HH … Horween is on a definite backorder right now on a lot of leathers, and burgundy horse is one of them. We were told 4-6 months about 2 months ago, but I’m not going to hold my breathe. We also have some on order with a few different distributors as back up.

As of today White’s is saying a couple more weeks on the rebuilds.

Thank you,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I emailed Kyle earlier this week. This is what he said.

B widths are coming! The lasts are on order. I would suspect about 4-6 weeks on those.

Regarding burgundy HH … Horween is on a definite backorder right now on a lot of leathers, and burgundy horse is one of them. We were told 4-6 months about 2 months ago, but I’m not going to hold my breathe. We also have some on order with a few different distributors as back up.

As of today White’s is saying a couple more weeks on the rebuilds.

Thank you,
Thank you Sir, with no Burgundy HH, I wonder if I should orders BHs in Red Wood oil tanned leather? Someone has mentioned that Redwood is one of White's work leathers but if Red Wood is better than CXL then I wouldn't mind it.

discomute

Reaction score
Thank you Sir, with no Burgundy HH, I wonder if I should orders BHs in Red Wood oil tanned leather? Someone has mentioned that Redwood is one of White's work leathers but if Red Wood is better than CXL then I wouldn't mind it.
It is a work leather, and it is better than CXl but also quite different than burgundy HH.

discomute

Reaction score
My father (RIP) had a list of rules for life he handed down to his sons, one of them was, "spend money on the things that come between you and the ground"... by which he meant buy good footwear, good tires, and a good mattress... seems your dad was cut from the same cloth...

I am feeling a little nostalgic tonight, so I will post the list... maybe some of you will get a chuckle... the Latin translates roughly to "Poor people are crazy... I am eccentric..." which pretty much sums up my dad...
So that's where I got that from! I passed this off as my own life advice the other day but honestly couldn't remember where I'd heard it. Reckon you must have mentioned in here ages ago.

klank74

Reaction score
I assume you meant Red Dog? If so, it is one of their “work” leathers. Is it better than cxl? Depends what your after. It’s definitely more durable, but also harder to break in. It also maintains its color the whole way through the leather. If you like the patinaed look of cxl as it ages and wears (brown core showing through), you’re not going to get that with Red Dog.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you meant Red Dog? If so, it is one of their “work” leathers. Is it better than cxl? Depends what your after. It’s definitely more durable, but also harder to break in. It also maintains its color the whole way through the leather. If you like the patinaed look of cxl as it ages and wears (brown core showing through), you’re not going to get that with Red Dog.
Yes, I meant Red Dog :). I would actually prefer if Red Dog keeps its color.
I have read that Brown Waxed flesh is actually Brown CXL but inside out, is that true?
Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads