• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bigtophat

Reaction score
Yeah, the Darn Tough range is stupidly complicated now. For 8" boots you might be able to get away with the "micro crew" height, but better would be the actual boot height socks. As for the cushioning, I generally buy the basic "hiker" medium and light cushion micro-crew varieties (for winter and summer), which have cushioning on the sole and heel, but not the top or shaft. For cooler weather I have some full cushion boot socks, too. Generally if the description is just "cushion" it means it's a regular medium cushion sock, otherwise it will specify "light" or "full". AFAIK there's very little difference between the Hike, Hunting and Work ranges, although the "steely" line does have additional cushioning around the toe (for steel-toe boots)
I can confirm the micro-crew only works up to the 7” boots. With the 8 inch they sag down under the boots at times.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Domestic Domestic is another great place to get DT socks because they always run a 40% off everything sale for Black Friday. You have to be pretty fast to get the medium and larges though.
That's a good store/website but you were right, most of the socks in my size (Large) are sold out. I am going to order directly from DT.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can confirm the micro-crew only works up to the 7” boots. With the 8 inch they sag down under the boots at times.
Should I order mid-calf or over the calf for 8 inch boots?
Thanks

Ed13

Reaction score
I have been wearing Darn Tough socks for a number of years. Completely blow away the quality of Smartwool. I am always looking for merino content of at least 60%. Warmer in winter and breathe well in summer to keep either warm or cool depending on season. Merino also has more cushion for feet as it does not compress as much as cotton.

Be aware that all crew socks are not always the same height. They seem to be getting a bit shorter. Also, the over the calf socks may not be high enough if you are tall or have large calves. About 4" too short for me. I have the same problem with most dress socks but these are shorter than normal.

Netvine

Reaction score
My experience is the same with thin light cushion darn tough hiker. They fall and end up compacted under the heel. But not the standard issue or any thicker ones, they work fine for work.

Last edited:

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Hard to decide between ordering BH’s now and getting to wear them for 1-2 months this Winter or ordering for Black Friday and not getting to wear them much before next Winter.

andy b.

Reaction score
Do you have the black V100 to compare them to? That's interesting for sure.
I have every 100 lug sole option Vibram offers, black, honey, red X, the one-piece version Red Wing uses, etc. The RW one seems pretty hard, and slick, but all the versions I have on about 7 or 8 pairs of various PNW bootmakers all feel the same. The Honey definitely wears down the fastest.

Mathazzz

Reaction score
Hard to decide between ordering BH’s now and getting to wear them for 1-2 months this Winter or ordering for Black Friday and not getting to wear them much before next Winter.
I’m in the same boat as you, this will be my first pair of White’s so a discount would help the pain, but I want to have good boots for winter!

Netvine

Reaction score
I apologize to the board for being so repetitice, but I wanted to point this potential option out. Im dying to red some feedback about it. Ir even speculation, what say you everyone?

White’s new hybrid sole from Vibram

A262479F-5E27-48CF-844E-BEC9BF4486F0.jpeg

im tired of slipping around outside on the 430’s after a season if heavy use. But I also got tired of being yelled at for tracking mudwith the 100 style.

Sledge42

Reaction score
I have every 100 lug sole option Vibram offers, black, honey, red X, the one-piece version Red Wing uses, etc. The RW one seems pretty hard, and slick, but all the versions I have on about 7 or 8 pairs of various PNW bootmakers all feel the same. The Honey definitely wears down the fastest.
White's only will outfit the black 100 in the "White X" (Fire and Ice) now. When I ordered my work boots, White's found that the Fire and Ice was the best all around 100 so that is what I had put on my boots and I love em! Granted, I don't fight fires or work in the tundra, but for a jobsite, I love em!

wordfool

Reaction score
I apologize to the board for being so repetitice, but I wanted to point this potential option out. Im dying to red some feedback about it. Ir even speculation, what say you everyone?

White’s new hybrid sole from Vibram

View attachment 1487974

im tired of slipping around outside on the 430’s after a season if heavy use. But I also got tired of being yelled at for tracking mudwith the 100 style.

I'm curious, too, although IIRC that sole is only available on the non-MTO Okanogan and to my eyes it look broadly similar to the 100 with only minor differences in lug shape/depth that might or might not trap less mud. I wish White's would offer a hybrid like the Vibram Raptor or the Itshide Commando sole (used on Truman boots) because I agree the 430 sole, with it's small, shallow lug area, is basically little different to the 700 in terms of grip.

Last edited:

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@Chrikelnel & @Mathazzz - Baker’s does throw down a solid Black Friday sale & it’s likely worth the wait. Kyle also has something up his sleeve that might also be worth waiting for so the timing might work out well. In the meantime it might be a great opportunity to order a try on pair to confirm sizing on whatever last you are considering.

@andy b. - that’s solid real-world feedback bro!

@discomute -

48C2BBE2-1364-4419-BB4C-0A499EDA4B37.jpeg

Put some HH to work this afternoon. They’ll clean nicely
6238402C-DBB4-49C0-944C-DEF8B8E895A3.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads