• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add me to the anti cxl brigade

White's has an entire colour (tan/light brown) missing from its catalogue, for reasons totally unknown to this forum, so I don't blame you for considering. However, then British tan these days is very dark. I am a big advocate of people learning to use the search function in here (e.g. to find LE's horsehide collection) but if you look at old photos of British Tan be aware that is not what it looks like now.
I am considering British Tan for the "colour" but if it's dark then probably no, I will ask Kyle before ordering, still waiting for the Black Friday!!!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White's has an entire colour (tan/light brown) missing from its catalogue, for reasons totally unknown to this forum...
Yes! Thank God someone else recognizes this... why can't I get a basic tan boot that stays tan? I don't ask for much... just something simple like this would be fine...
Is that really too much to ask?
1604010099232.png

ExtraitdeMinimalist

Reaction score
Have you tried a tongue pad to eliminate the heel slip? It seems strange, but it works.

One thing I have learned is that once you start considering selling a pair of boots, the idea festers like a splinter in your brain, and all your thoughts begin to confirm what your subconscious wants the outcome to be.

At this point, the only thing to do is sell them and move on... or you will come to resent them... as you say, cut your losses and move on... in your heart you know this is the right course...

Oh it’s festering for sure. One thing I’ve realized since the boot bug bit me, my right foot is less voluminous than my left. I denied it for a while, because I didn’t want to feel like a freak show (it’s really not that bad) it’s enough to annoy me. I think I may test out a few more socks and see if it persists, but as you said, I may grow to resent them.

also *googling tongue pads*

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score
Oh it’s festering for sure. One thing I’ve realized since the boot bug bit me, my right foot is less voluminous than my right. I denied it for a while, because I didn’t want to feel like a freak show (it’s really not that bad) it’s enough to annoy me. I think I may test out a few more socks and see if it persists, but as you said, I may grow to resent them.

also *googling tongue pads*

As someone with low volume feet (with a narrowish heel), I understand your plight. Tongue pads can help to a degree (I have used them plenty of times in the past and they're easy to remove if they don't have the desired effect), but you mentioned these are a half size larger than the Baker's size recommendation so I'm not sure a tongue pad can fix that. You can pick up a dozen basic felt tongue pads on Amazon for a few bucks so they're worth trying to see if they work before splurging on nicer leather ones. You could also try a full (flat) insole to decrease the overall volume inside the boots.

My left foot is smaller than my right -- actually slightly shorter and a smidge fatter. No one is totally symmetrical (for any body part), but having spent my entire life struggling with boot heel slippage on just my left foot I was hoping Baker's would suggest two different sizes, with a half size smaller for the left. Despite asking Kyle multiple times he did not suggest this, but I did end up with C width instead of the normal D width I've worn for all non-MTO boots in the past so that helped a bit. Still the left boot feels slightly looser, but it's tolerable after break in.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying to talk myself out of not selling my BH’s, there’s definitely been some stretch. A little too much heel slippage, that causes some abrasion if it’s not the absolute, thickest, snuggest sock I’m wearing. I’d rather take my losses and throw the money in a pair of 9.5’s.

View attachment 1486798
I also had a further thought about your heel slippage... have you tried different lacing patterns? I like lock lacing... I am not sure how it would work on taller boots... but this site has lots of options for lots of situations...

I never knew there were so many ways to lace a boot...

If you like boots, and have OCD, you better clear your calendar...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bakers had “tan french calf” on the leather list. I don’t recall ever seeing a picture of this here.
Tried to order that a couple years ago... I was told it was no longer available, with no estimate when, if ever, it would return...
It looks like this:
1604016522467.png

klank74

Reaction score
My Great Laces came today. Which one would you guys go with? I’m not sure I’m feeling either one of them.
11AABB85-2768-4832-BB71-8D77AA98997E.jpeg

Bigtophat

Reaction score
Tried to order that a couple years ago... I was told it was no longer available, with no estimate when, if ever, it would return...
It looks like this:
View attachment 1486981
Thanks. I will need to ask them if this is in stock. Looks like a $120 up charge. If in stock I may have to get this with a double leather sole for Black Friday.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will need to ask them if this is in stock. Looks like a $120 up charge. If in stock I may have to get this with a double leather sole for Black Friday.
If you find it is back in stock, please let us know...

wordfool

Reaction score
My Great Laces came today. Which one would you guys go with? I’m not sure I’m feeling either one of them. View attachment 1486983

They look like great laces (!) but I'm not a fan of hiking-boot style laces like that in non-hiking style boots. I tried something similar in my roughout pair of SDs and they just looked odd. Ended up opting for a plain, solid-color lace instead.

andy b.

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to order my second pair of Whites already and have a few questions before ordering. These will be used for work (diesel mechanic).

1) what is the difference between Red Dog oiled and Red Dog smooth? I was under the impression they are one in the same, but Bakers Build A Boot’s approximation of color seems to indicate that the oiled has more brown in it and the smooth has more red.

2) how much life can I expect to get out of the honey vibram 100 sole? I work on concrete all day, so I’m looking to get as much cushion as possible. That being said, it would be nice to get 2 years in between resoles if possible. How much worse would the black 100 be comfort worse? I briefly considered a crepe sole, but my current work boots have that sole and their lack of traction on dusty floors or snow is horrible.

3) I’m thinking of trying lace to toe this time. Can you guys think of any reason not to for a work boot?

4) if I should go with one of the Red Dog leathers, what do you guys think for eyelets and hooks? Nickel or Brass?

So far I’m thinking of going with SJ’s in the 38 swing last, in Red Dog smooth, lace to toe, nickel hardware, 8” height, double midsole, with the honey vibram sole, natural sole finish. What do you guys think?

Here is a pic I just took of the sole of my SJs. I've been wearing them almost every day since February. Pavement, concrete sidewalks, hardpack. They definitely won't last two years.
Honestly, I don't get the whole "softer than 100 lug sole" deal. These things aren't gel cushioned. If I poke my fingernail in a lug it seems just as hard as the black V100.
SJ_distressedRO.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads