• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ExtraitdeMinimalist

Reaction score
trying to talk myself out of not selling my BH’s, there’s definitely been some stretch. A little too much heel slippage, that causes some abrasion if it’s not the absolute, thickest, snuggest sock I’m wearing. I’d rather take my losses and throw the money in a pair of 9.5’s.

3272A6DE-BBF8-412C-871D-130DB4082D37.jpeg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying to talk myself out of not selling my BH’s, there’s definitely been some stretch. A little too much heel slippage, that causes some abrasion if it’s not the absolute, thickest, snuggest sock I’m wearing. I’d rather take my losses and throw the money in a pair of 9.5’s.

View attachment 1486798
Have you tried a tongue pad to eliminate the heel slip? It seems strange, but it works.

One thing I have learned is that once you start considering selling a pair of boots, the idea festers like a splinter in your brain, and all your thoughts begin to confirm what your subconscious wants the outcome to be.

At this point, the only thing to do is sell them and move on... or you will come to resent them... as you say, cut your losses and move on... in your heart you know this is the right course...

Jimk4003

Reaction score
They're definitely not as utterly tanky as ye olde schoole White's, but they're also clearly far superior to any of the other ones he's tested. Better leather, better/stronger stitching, better footbed, better hardware, better lining, better heel counter...really a no-brainer if you're in the market for something like that.

Though, that video did make me wonder how the bigwigs at ABC feel about their subsidiaries competing with one another so blatantly.
I think ABC will take a similar approach to their subsidiaries competing with each other that Apple did when people asked them if they were worried that iPhone sales would cannibalise iPod sales; "if you don't cannibalise yourself, someone else will". Basically, if you're going to lose a sale, lose a sale to yourself, not to a competitor.

Those Perry boots look good for the price, but you can see where some corners have been cut. The relatively thin leather insoles (measured at 3.5mm compared to around 5mm in the RW) and cardboard heel counter stiffeners (compared to leather in some of the other boots Rose Anvil has dissected) didn't exactly scream durability. But hey, they're $269. What was surprising to me was the remark at 11:24 in the video where White's apparently told him that they've used the cardboard heel counters before in some of their fire boots; I wouldn't have expected that from the 'all leather legends".

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1486798
Did you go with custom measurements and send the measurements to Bakers?
Thank you

discomute

Reaction score
Resolene on edges for reward is super worthwhile

Though I've never really been able to get the hang of sanding, it always looks worse than when I started

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a tongue pad to eliminate the heel slip? It seems strange, but it works.

One thing I have learned is that once you start considering selling a pair of boots, the idea festers like a splinter in your brain, and all your thoughts begin to confirm what your subconscious wants the outcome to be.

At this point, the only thing to do is sell them and move on... or you will come to resent them... as you say, cut your losses and move on... in your heart you know this is the right course...
I would love to sell my several pairs of Allen Edmonds but compared to Allen Edmonds' sale prices these boots won't fetch me even 50-60% of what I paid for them and some of the pairs I haven't worn yet.
I guess I am going to keep them, still better quality than mall brands IMO.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh... my young padawan... you know not what you have started... my undying love for the equine hide is known far and wide, and burns with the red hot fury of 10,000 suns. I have long opined on HH's superiority, esthetic, and wear characteristics...

The discussion of horsehide spurs a passion in me unmatched even by my disdain of CXL, and my desire to properly label the dogger/logger/cuban heel...

I have HH boots in black, brown, and burgundy, and I have a pair of natural HH in mind... (if my wife will let me... she says 15 pairs is enough... be she does not understand our love for PNW boots... the love that dare not speak its name... grumble, grumble...)

Oh, Horsehide... how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...
You should share a pic of your HH collection. Do they offer Natural HH? I thought it was discontinued.

Edit: Speaking of Padawan, I am a big Star Trek-TNG fan. Well, that's what happens when you grow up in the 80s, I was watching "The Enemy" (Season 3, Episode 7) yesterday .

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should share a pic of your HH collection. Do they offer Natural HH? I thought it was discontinued.
It was, I have a feeling it will be back, I will purchase the hide and have it sent in if need be...

The thing giving me pause is @hoppy_IPA 's misadventure with veg tan russet HH... I really want HH, and I really want Veg Tan, but I also am smart enough to learn from others...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was, I have a feeling it will be back, I will purchase the hide and have it sent in if need be...
I guess while we wait for Natural HH, British Tan CXL will probably work : ).
I wonder how much has been the Black Friday discount in the past?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: Speaking of Padawan, I am a big Star Trek-TNG fan. Well, that's what happens when you grow up in the 80s, I was watching "The Enemy" (Season 3, Episode 7) yesterday .
I am not sure if you are messing with me on purpose, or honestly confusing Star Wars with Star Trek...
1604008640470.png

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if you are messing with me on purpose, or honestly confusing Star Wars with Star Trek...
View attachment 1486913
Awe, actually neither :). I just wanted to share I am a Star Trek fan, I have watched a little bit of Star Wars lol but couldn't get into it until I read something on Quora which summarized Star Wars as the future of Milky Way. I will try to find that post. Essentially, the idea is, R2-D2 at the time of narrating the events is in another galaxy but the events of Star Wars happened in Milky way (some time in distant future). I thought it was interesting :)

discomute

Reaction score
I guess while we wait for Natural HH, British Tan CXL will probably work : ).
I wonder how much has been the Black Friday discount in the past?
Add me to the anti cxl brigade

White's has an entire colour (tan/light brown) missing from its catalogue, for reasons totally unknown to this forum, so I don't blame you for considering. However, then British tan these days is very dark. I am a big advocate of people learning to use the search function in here (e.g. to find LE's horsehide collection) but if you look at old photos of British Tan be aware that is not what it looks like now.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads