• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
They're definitely not as utterly tanky as ye olde schoole White's, but they're also clearly far superior to any of the other ones he's tested. Better leather, better/stronger stitching, better footbed, better hardware, better lining, better heel counter...really a no-brainer if you're in the market for something like that.

Though, that video did make me wonder how the bigwigs at ABC feel about their subsidiaries competing with one another so blatantly.

klank74

Reaction score
So I was wearing my new SD’s the other day and walked through some wet grass. When I wiped them off, I noticed some of the edge dressing came off. I’d expect that since it’s water based. But it got me thinking, what edge dressing do you guys use to touch your midsole up? And is there Anything else I should be doing to care for the midsoles? I’ve seen some recommend using some leather conditioner on them every once in awhile, but I’ve seen just as many advise against that as well.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was wearing my new SD’s the other day and walked through some wet grass. When I wiped them off, I noticed some of the edge dressing came off. I’d expect that since it’s water based. But it got me thinking, what edge dressing do you guys use to touch your midsole up? And is there Anything else I should be doing to care for the midsoles? I’ve seen some recommend using some leather conditioner on them every once in awhile, but I’ve seen just as many advise against that as well.
Edge dressing is going to wear away. Really nothing to prevent it other than only wearing lightly indoors. You can spot touch areas where it has been completely been removed by adding more edge dressing. I tend to wait until it all looks a little shoddy and then I do a light sand and re-do it all.

wordfool

Reaction score
I searched through the thread but couldn't find anything, is there a consensus on whether the standard heel really is better for walking than the blocked heel?

AFAIK there is no consensus, not least because it's a highly subjective thing that's also dependent on other factors beyond just the heel height, like sole type/thickness, personal walking gait, leather type/thickness, boot height, etc.

I have four pairs of White's now, and four heel types -- standard shape/height, lowered block, standard-height block, and MP. They are all different leathers and half are commando half-sole, half 430 sole (and the MP is on a completely different, lower-arched last to the others). The effect, if any, of heel height/shape is probably going to be the last thing that'll feel different between them based on my (albeit fairly short-term) experience. Others might have a different opinion based on longer experience with White's and/or a more consistent boot-to-boot comparison.

Last edited:

Netvine

Reaction score
Edge dressing is going to wear away. Really nothing to prevent it other than only wearing lightly indoors. You can spot touch areas where it has been completely been removed by adding more edge dressing. I tend to wait until it all looks a little shoddy and then I do a light sand and re-do it all.
I have come to enjoy sanding and applying resolene. Ive got My little paint brush and sanding kit with my leather care stuff. Being able to completely restore whites boots at will is a huge value add.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have come to enjoy sanding and applying resolene. Ive got My little paint brush and sanding kit with my leather care stuff. Being able to completely restore whites boots at will is a huge value add.
You patience is far beyond mine. I have resorted to doing the clear/natural on my boots and letting it be whatever it is. I only maintain the dark browns on my dress shoes which hold up considerably longer as you would expect. Now sanding shoe trees...thats my jam.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But it got me thinking, what edge dressing do you guys use to touch your midsole up? And is there Anything else I should be doing to care for the midsoles?
I'll just leave this here...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The proper and judicious use of acrylic resolene will permit heel stacks and edges to look like this... even on a two year old pair of boots... it also seals and prevents delamination if you get your boots wet... sure it takes time, but look at it as a labor of love...
2ECA53D3-B493-4D18-B72B-DAB0D91D4567.jpeg
IMG-4580.JPG

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yeah but this joker also shines his shoes.
I was ashamed to post the boots in the pics above... I was outside today and did not brush off the dust... just focus on the edge and heel, not the dusty vamp... I don't want you guys to think I am some kind of hobo...

Really the edge dressing does not take that long... and it really makes a difference in both appearance and function... it seals the leather layers so water cannot get in. For all the money we spend on leather care, we should also care about the sole and edges... $10 for a bottle of resolene that lasts years is a good deal in my book.

As my grandfather taught me, take care of your shoes and boots... use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without...

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The proper and judicious use of acrylic resolene will permit heel stacks and edges to look like this... even on a two year old pair of boots... it also seals and prevents delamination if you get your boots wet... sure it takes time, but look at it as a labor of love... View attachment 1486782 View attachment 1486786
Brown HH? Do you own all the colors in HH? I remember seeing pics of your boots in burgundy HH.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown HH? Do you own all the colors in HH? I remember seeing pics of your boots in burgundy HH.
Oh... my young padawan... you know not what you have started... my undying love for the equine hide is known far and wide, and burns with the red hot fury of 10,000 suns. I have long opined on HH's superiority, esthetic, and wear characteristics...

The discussion of horsehide spurs a passion in me unmatched even by my disdain of CXL, and my desire to properly label the dogger/logger/cuban heel...

I have HH boots in black, brown, and burgundy, and I have a pair of natural HH in mind... (if my wife will let me... she says 15 pairs is enough... be she does not understand our love for PNW boots... the love that dare not speak its name... grumble, grumble...)

Oh, Horsehide... how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics