• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Legal Eagles:
It IS different than the Alden Last. When I was getting into White's Boots I spoke with Kyle about it. Here is is response to me:
The Barrie last that White’s has is the same last shape as Alden, but it’s scaled to White’s sizes. White’s run about a half size larger then Alden.

you won’t get as much arch support in the Barrie last as the 55, but since it’s all leather construction, you will get more arch in a White’s Barrie last compared to an Alden.
So since the Barrie last is 1/2 down from Brannock, and White's says their version is a 1/2 size bigger, that means the MP should be TTS. I feel vindicated now.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a pair of BH's and trying to decide between brown cxl, brown elk tan, and brown HH. Does white's still have great cxl clicking?

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a pair of BH's and trying to decide between brown cxl, brown elk tan, and brown HH. Does white's still have great cxl clicking?
Remember, CXL is always a gamble. That said, White's has had some of the better examples over the last year. Obviously, QC has been a topic here as of late so YMMV. Remember, CXL is always a gamble.

klank74

Reaction score
I haven’t seen it in person, but the brown elk tan looks really good in pictures. It’s like a thicker version of their brown dress. I just got my first pair of Whites in brown dress and it’s much more brown in person than in pictures. I love it.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must... resist... urge... to comment... on overall suitability... of CXL... in PNW boots...
I don't remember if I have asked this before but do you think Brown Elk is the 'best' option after Brown HH?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clicking aside, this is what is considered acceptable by Horween... sometimes the break cannot be detected before wear, so the best clicking in the world is no guarantee.

If you would be OK with your boots looking like the pictures here (pay special attention to the first, second, and last picture), I say go for it, but @Rymanocerous is right... there are no guarantees... you pay your money and you take your chances.

If you really want CXL, are you sure we cannot interest you in a nice pair of loafers?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember if I have asked this before but do you think Brown Elk is the 'best' option after Brown HH?
It depends on what qualities you are looking for... there is no "best" for everything, but there are some leathers that do everything pretty well...

wordfool

Reaction score
So since the Barrie last is 1/2 down from Brannock, and White's says their version is a 1/2 size bigger, that means the MP should be TTS. I feel vindicated now.

Depends on one's foot -- my MPs are 1.5 sizes down from brannock and a half size smaller than my 55-last boots. Go figure. I was skeptical when baker's suggested that size for the MPs, but they fit fine. I could probably have gone with the same size as my SDs and BHs, but erring on the side of smaller was probably the best call for my narrow-ish feet.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Depends on one's foot -- my MPs are 1.5 sizes down from brannock and a half size smaller than my 55-last boots. Go figure. I was skeptical when baker's suggested that size for the MPs, but they fit fine. I could probably have gone with the same size as my SDs and BHs, but erring on the side of smaller was probably the best call for my narrow-ish feet.

I agree. I wear an 11.5D in a Barrie Last and an 11.5E in a 55 Last.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Must... resist... urge... to comment... on overall suitability... of CXL... in PNW boots...
I'll bite, is it just because of the gamble and that the break can be unattractive? Most of the cxl boots I've had have been rough out so I didn't run into that issue but I did have a pair of Alden boots where the break did not look good over time. I like the idea of elk tan but I think it's a bit darker than I'd prefer.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[] seemingly impossible combination of buttery soft and supportive.

[] a patina that makes me reflect on the passage of time and the interconnectedness of all things.

[] gentle luster/glow instead of garish, urethane-like shine.
You lost me when you said you did not want a mirror shine... I don't have time for that kind of negativity in my life... ;)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads