• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

andy b.

Reaction score
Holy sh|t!
I think my natural veg tan belt is somewhere around 16oz as well. It's about 1/4" thick.
There used to be a Tandy leather store a few minutes from my house and belt blanks were about $15. The hardware was maybe another $10. The belt will certainly outlast me. And my son. And any future grandchildren. LOL

andy b.

Reaction score
I saw the attached picture on whitesboots.com and thought pointed toe packers might have single row stitching.
Thank you for the sizing info. How is taller heel in packers (pointed toe) comfort wise? if I plan to wear them all day long (office environment mostly : )).
The heel height is a little more noticeable than say a BH standard heel, but it isn't weird or uncomfortable. It doesn't feel like high heels. I mean, I have never worn high heels (as in women's shoes), but they look unstable and uncomfortable. The 695 heel is fine to walk around in.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have Burgundy leather boots? Have you found any laces that pair well with them?

@Legal Eagles - didnt you get some Burgundy HH boots recently?
I have burgundy HH as well. These laces pair very well:

5D3_8074 resize.jpg

klank74

Reaction score
So I've worn my new SD's, my very first pair of custom boots of any kind, last night and all day today, and it has been life changing! I have never in my life, ever owned a pair of shoes that truly "fit" me. I can't remember the last time I've been able to walk around without heel slip of any kind. It totally changes the way I walk. I am able to take longer, more confident strides because my feet finally feel locked into the boots I'm wearing. Sure theres some discomfort in places, but I can already tell that once they are broken in, they will feel amazing.

On a side note, I'm looking at getting some different laces for them. The newer waxed laces that White's sends with them now are nice, but I'd like something with a little bit heavier. I'm looking at Mercury + Maia and Danner laces on Amazon, and Great Laces. What size do I want for my SD's? 54"?

montanamike

Reaction score
So I've worn my new SD's, my very first pair of custom boots of any kind, last night and all day today, and it has been life changing! I have never in my life, ever owned a pair of shoes that truly "fit" me. I can't remember the last time I've been able to walk around without heel slip of any kind. It totally changes the way I walk. I am able to take longer, more confident strides because my feet finally feel locked into the boots I'm wearing. Sure theres some discomfort in places, but I can already tell that once they are broken in, they will feel amazing.

On a side note, I'm looking at getting some different laces for them. The newer waxed laces that White's sends with them now are nice, but I'd like something with a little bit heavier. I'm looking at Mercury + Maia and Danner laces on Amazon, and Great Laces. What size do I want for my SD's? 54"?
Glad to hear they are working out!

I like the heavy waxed laces from Guarded Goods. I've run 48 to 54 on mine. There is some variability on personal preference of length. For me, 52 is ideal, 48 and 54 work. The Guarded Goods laces are similar to the Whites but beefier in all aspects

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is what I would do... take the current laces out of your SD. Find a flexible metal or cloth tape marked and numbered in some uniform increment of length... I like inches or centimetres... fair warning some units like furlongs, leagues, or cubits can be odd and unwieldy.

Measure your existing laces in the unit of length measure you prefer. Remember that number, it is what I call your "baseline" or "starting point". Then this is the tricky part... you add or subtract from your "baseline" a number of inches or centimetres based on your own personal preference and whether you want the new laces to be longer and shorter... then order your new laces in the same length as the number you calculated.

Here is the neat part... if you want the same length in the new laces as the old, you don't need to add or subtract anything! Just order a lace with the same number of length units as you measured your baseline to have. Assuming the lace vendor uses the same unit of measurement you did (which is why I prefer inches or cm over cubits) then Bob's your uncle!

TL;DR - Measure your existing laces and go from there... 54" (3 cubits for our ancient history aficionados) is standard on White's SD.

Netvine

Reaction score
What then is the exact difference between a 5050 last and 55 last?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What then is the exact difference between a 5050 last and 55 last?
I believe it is the heel and arch of the 55 with the sleeker "dress" toe of the Barrie/MP.

"55 in the back, MP in the front..."

I am curious about White's post because I thought the MP last was the Barrie last... not "loosely designed off" the Barrie last.

So my question, how does the White's MP last actually differ from the traditional (read Alden), Barrie last?

Sledge42

Reaction score
@Legal Eagles:
It IS different than the Alden Last. When I was getting into White's Boots I spoke with Kyle about it. Here is is response to me:
The Barrie last that White’s has is the same last shape as Alden, but it’s scaled to White’s sizes. White’s run about a half size larger then Alden.

you won’t get as much arch support in the Barrie last as the 55, but since it’s all leather construction, you will get more arch in a White’s Barrie last compared to an Alden.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Legal Eagles:
It IS different than the Alden Last. When I was getting into White's Boots I spoke with Kyle about it. Here is is response to me:
The Barrie last that White’s has is the same last shape as Alden, but it’s scaled to White’s sizes. White’s run about a half size larger then Alden.

you won’t get as much arch support in the Barrie last as the 55, but since it’s all leather construction, you will get more arch in a White’s Barrie last compared to an Alden.
Same shape... different size... got it!

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Took the MPs out for a weekend of adventure. They performed admirably. Granted the tongue isn't fully gusseted, but as long as I didn't submerge them that deep they kept my feet completely dry even walking through streams and such. I also included some shots of the area I was in, as a bonus in case any of you like looking at things other than boots.

klank74

Reaction score
Took the MPs out for a weekend of adventure. They performed admirably. Granted the tongue isn't fully gusseted, but as long as I didn't submerge them that deep they kept my feet completely dry even walking through streams and such. I also included some shots of the area I was in, as a bonus in case any of you like looking at things other than boots.

Wow! Great looking boots and amazing scenery!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads