• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my case, it isn’t that I have ultra wide feet... I have slightly narrow feet, a thin instep ( low instep with a normal arch) and a heel about 2 widths narrower than the ball of my foot.
Instead of wide forefoot in an absolute sense, let us then say wide forefoot in relation to heel width....

klank74

Reaction score
May be I am misunderstanding something but did you mean 55 has better arch support than 4811?
Does the 38 Swing last have more arch support than 55 or 4811?

the 4811 has the most, or highest arch support of the three. Next would be the 55, followed by the 38 with the least arch support. There are others with more or less, but those 3 are probably the most popular. The 38 swing last still has more arch support than your normal, everyday boot. If you have experience with orthotic insoles, like Superfeet or Sole, the 38 still has more arch support than them.

klank74

Reaction score
Arch support: 38<55<4811 but all three are more than most other boots and shoes... adding a 1/4" lift in the heel stack makes the 38 feel almost like the 55 IMHO.
Does the higher heel lift throw the balance off at all? I might consider doing that for my work boots I wanna order.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arch support: 38<55<4811 but all three are more than most other boots and shoes... adding a 1/4" lift in the heel stack makes the 38 feel almost like the 55 IMHO.
I guess you were right when you said you consider yourself an Engineer even after getting a law degree, still prefer to use mathematical symbols in conversation : )

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 4811 has the most, or highest arch support of the three. Next would be the 55, followed by the 38 with the least arch support. There are others with more or less, but those 3 are probably the most popular. The 38 swing last still has more arch support than your normal, everyday boot. If you have experience with orthotic insoles, like Superfeet or Sole, the 38 still has more arch support than them.

Thank you!!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have Burgundy leather boots? Have you found any laces that pair well with them?

@Legal Eagles - didnt you get some Burgundy HH boots recently?
Almost a year ago... time flies... I use the burgundy and yellow kevlar Great Laces... I like the look... this also ties into @chicagoan2016 s question vis a vis an extra heel lift... these are 38 Swing with the extra lift, and I do not notice they are unbalanced... 1/4” under the heel is not really that much...
1503A728-B20C-441C-9A17-132FB307A35B.jpeg
50DFCB2E-1853-4C1A-AA45-F2ADB0670FF0.jpeg
3525FB57-09BE-45C9-AFDE-1AA88D07ECB1.jpeg

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Thanks, Legal. Dang I would of guessed it was only a few months ago you got those. Killer shine as always

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Legal. Dang I would of guessed it was only a few months ago you got those. Killer shine as always
Funny thing is, I just grabbed them off the shelf to show the laces... give me 30 minutes with a old t-shirt, a spray bottle of distilled water, and a tin of Saphir mirror gloss, and I could show you a shine!

As you can see from the side by side heel pick, the heel stacks need a coat of acrylic resolene and wax polish to bring back the shine... I did cave in and polish the toe caps, but the rest of the boot has only been lightly treated with Renovateur a couple times... I like how this HH is aging... at this rate it should really come into its own in about 15 years!

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
give me 30 minutes with a old t-shirt, a spray bottle of distilled water, and a tin of Saphir mirror gloss, and I could show you a shine!

Thats a throwback to when I first joined the service. Back then we had black boots & had to have them shined. Naturally a lot of the guys became very competitive about who could muster the best mirror polish. Technique was often debated with some folks just using an applicator brush to wax & buffing with a standard horse hair. Some folks loved the heat gun, some swore panty-hose was the secret for polishing; I tried all of them. In the end, I found an old piece of t-shirt & a few droplets of water worked the best for me as well!
cheers

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost a year ago... time flies... I use the burgundy and yellow kevlar Great Laces... I like the look... this also ties into @chicagoan2016 s question vis a vis an extra heel lift... these are 38 Swing with the extra lift, and I do not notice they are unbalanced... 1/4” under the heel is not really that much... View attachment 1483284 View attachment 1483285 View attachment 1483286
Man, these boots look wonderful, how would I decide between burgundy HH and Natural HH (if available)? I guess I have to buy two pairs of Bounty Hunters on Black Friday : )

adrs1157

Reaction score
I wonder if bakers will allow a custom bounty hunter using the 5050 last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads