• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
I have so many pairs of unused laces now thanks to my seemingly eternal search for the Goldilocks of the lace world — not too thick (for hooks), not too thin, not too weak, not too slick, not too stretchy. Danner boot laces seem OK. Obenaufs laces would be great if they didn’t require me to scrub my hands every time I tie them (how much wax can a pair of laces hold?!). Paracord is useless (too slick and stretchy). I guess I’ll try Greatlaces next.

I found these laces some time ago and now have them in most of my boots. Thicker than Kiwis, but not too thick to work well with hooks, not stretchy, and lots of choices in lengths and colors if you look at the seller's other items. Reasonably priced, and fast shipping. No, I'm not getting paid to advertise these! ;) I just think they're a good lace for most work boots, and a very good value. For the cost, you ought to try a pair:

Woodtroll

Reaction score
I could use some help here guys...I don’t know what to do. My first pair of Whites arrived today and they are amazing! The fit is perfect, the stitching is spot on, no real issues compared to some others I’ve seen. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, Whites screwed up and built them with close trim instead of standard. Fortunately Baker’s caught the mistake but sent them to me anyways to verify that we got the sizing right. Everything else is so good though, I’m afraid to have them redone and risk some sort of other mistake being made or then wind up being lasted a little looser. Sounds stupid, but I don’t know if I can get past the close trim. I’m a big guy with narrow feet, and I feel like the standard trim would help them look a little more proportionate on me. View attachment 1480527
9c22031e-e636-4c7a-a08d-be6a035e4036-jpeg.1480529
View attachment 1480530 View attachment 1480531
For those interested, they are brown dress SD’s on the 38 swing last, 13C with an instep adjustment. Contrasting khaki stitching. Toe caps with the MP style stitching. Antique eyelets, cream liners, commando sole.

Actually, I think the close trim looks really good on these boots, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and only you can judge what you like. Don't let some of the horror stories here shy you away from getting what you really want and have paid for. White's builds LOTS of boots with no problems, and if you're unhappy with these you should get them replaced with standard trim.

Good luck with your decision!

Phalanx

Reaction score
It's autumn in the UK now and I've started wearing boots again. I think my issue with my right sock falling down is starting to decline now so hopefully it was just an issue with break in.

IMG_20201020_124745.jpg

My BHs next to my Loake Chatsworth in UK13G (also a fantastic pair of boots; I got them in the Loake Summer Sale for £150).

I could use some help here guys...I don’t know what to do. My first pair of Whites arrived today and they are amazing! The fit is perfect, the stitching is spot on, no real issues compared to some others I’ve seen. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, Whites screwed up and built them with close trim instead of standard. Fortunately Baker’s caught the mistake but sent them to me anyways to verify that we got the sizing right. Everything else is so good though, I’m afraid to have them redone and risk some sort of other mistake being made or then wind up being lasted a little looser. Sounds stupid, but I don’t know if I can get past the close trim. I’m a big guy with narrow feet, and I feel like the standard trim would help them look a little more proportionate on me. View attachment 1480527
9c22031e-e636-4c7a-a08d-be6a035e4036-jpeg.1480529
View attachment 1480530 View attachment 1480531
For those interested, they are brown dress SD’s on the 38 swing last, 13C with an instep adjustment. Contrasting khaki stitching. Toe caps with the MP style stitching. Antique eyelets, cream liners, commando sole.

Take it from a guy who also wears 13, anything you can do to make your shoes smaller without sacrificing comfort, you should do; huge boots with a giant trim doesn't look particularly good to me.

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could use some help here guys...I don’t know what to do. My first pair of Whites arrived today and they are amazing! The fit is perfect, the stitching is spot on, no real issues compared to some others I’ve seen. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, Whites screwed up and built them with close trim instead of standard. Fortunately Baker’s caught the mistake but sent them to me anyways to verify that we got the sizing right. Everything else is so good though, I’m afraid to have them redone and risk some sort of other mistake being made or then wind up being lasted a little looser. Sounds stupid, but I don’t know if I can get past the close trim. I’m a big guy with narrow feet, and I feel like the standard trim would help them look a little more proportionate on me.

You should always get what you paid for. I'd reach out to them and see what they say. If they are growing on you, and you think you might want to order another pair in the future, and discount on the second purchase may also be an option. These things are $500+ both Bakers and White's will do what it takes to make sure you are happy with them and feel like you got the full value, which is why I love them.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
same here. the first couples weeks though they feel pretty greasy.
I suppose I could use Obenauf's laces on my cheap Allen Edmonds boots for a few weeks before switching to White's

wordfool

Reaction score
I found these laces some time ago and now have them in most of my boots. Thicker than Kiwis, but not too thick to work well with hooks, not stretchy, and lots of choices in lengths and colors if you look at the seller's other items. Reasonably priced, and fast shipping. No, I'm not getting paid to advertise these! ;) I just think they're a good lace for most work boots, and a very good value. For the cost, you ought to try a pair:

Thanks, I'll check them out. Have you (or anyone) tried any of the myriad no-name (Miscly, Delele, Lorpops, Brother Brother, etc.) boot laces from Amazon? Most of them are probably made by the same manufacturer in China, but they all seem like fairly functional polyester laces that are cheap enough to not matter if they don't last forever.

On another note, does anyone know of any update on the plan by Baker's to get into the leather belt business? I imagine everything's on Covid-hold, but currently being in the market for a new belt I thought I'd ask. Alternatively feel free anyone to offer suggestions for a basic 1.5" belt (dark brown or black and ideally stitched, not screwed) made from decent leather that does not cost silly money.

Last edited:

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check them out. Have you (or anyone) tried any of the myriad no-name (Miscly, Delele, Lorpops, Brother Brother, etc.) boot laces from Amazon? Most of them are probably made by the same manufacturer in China, but they all seem like fairly functional polyester laces that are cheap enough to not matter if they don't last forever.

On another note, does anyone know of any update on the plan by Baker's to get into the leather belt business? I imagine everything's on Covid-hold, but currently being in the market for a new belt I thought I'd ask. Alternatively feel free anyone to offer suggestions for a basic 1.5" belt (dark brown or black and ideally stitched, not screwed) made from decent leather that does not cost silly money.

I have tried one pair of the Miscly from Amazon, and they were a little too fat to work well with the White's hooks.

Bigtophat

Reaction score

Check out craft and lore. Not stitched but exceptional quality. https://craftandlore.com/collections/thick-leather-belts?view=grid

iamntbatman

Reaction score

I have a belt by Pigeon Tree Crafting that I really like, but might be considered "silly money." However, I also have a really heavyweight belt from Don't Mourn Organize (https://www.dontmournorganize.com/) that is built like a brick shithouse and which was much more affordable as well. I have the natural 16oz vegtan harness belt. They also have horsehide belts for the same price range. Built to spec. Choose your leather, width, buckle, length and he'll make it.

montanamike

Reaction score
I have a belt by Pigeon Tree Crafting that I really like, but might be considered "silly money." However, I also have a really heavyweight belt from Don't Mourn Organize (https://www.dontmournorganize.com/) that is built like a brick shithouse and which was much more affordable as well. I have the natural 16oz vegtan harness belt. They also have horsehide belts for the same price range. Built to spec. Choose your leather, width, buckle, length and he'll make it.
I concur.. Scott's belts are a superb value. Sometimes communication can be slow but the belts are great. Another one in the same vein is Bill Carnes of Clintonville Leather. I love his belts and he seems like a great guy.

andy b.

Reaction score
If the arch support is so great, I gotta have at least one pair of pointed toe packers. It appears that pointed toe packers have single row stitching as compared to double row on standard packers, is my observation correct?
Hmmm...
I thought mine had double. They aren't with me at present to check.
But I would say Whites would almost certainly do either single or double.

In the standard BH I wear a 9.5C with normal socks (not heavyweight winter or hiking socks). My Packers are a 10B because the pointed toe squeezed my own toes in the 9.5C. The arch still feels like it is in the correct spot, and believe me, your feet will not slip once the boots are laced up.

I only mention this because I would not assume that the size you need in the 695 last is the same as any other Whites last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics