• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

klugtrane

Reaction score
I think you're grossly overstating. Yes, there have been mistakes. Also plenty of really nicely executed boots between here and Redit. What I have noticed is a lot of newer members here. And it appears several found their way here after a less than ideal situation. At the end of the day the handful of us enthusiasts on a SF/Reddit thread is a microcosm of their total production. I do full heartly agree however, that you should get what you pay for and at $500+, your specs should be what you order. Just not ready to join you on the tirade of declining quality.

Enjoy your knockoff homage Whites. ****, you think White's has execution issues you are in for a treat. All things (QC wise) being equal, at least White's has good service to get issues resolved. Can't say the same about Nicks.

I largely agree with this sentiment. Plus I think high QC failure rates are somewhat part and parcel of having everything MTO. If guys on the line were cranking out size 12 black smoke jumpers all day, there would be fewer errors. Any person who makes stuff knows how important fixturing is, and when you're not making a standard product, there is very little ability to create fixtures. I bet people would be surprised how small margins are on these with all the touch labor involved, and I'm guessing it's hard to find craftspeople who work at the desired rates.

That being said, the fact that this stuff doesn't get caught before it leaves the factory is insane. Here's a boot I got in mid 2017. Notice anything missing? While it would be fixable, the other side had uncorrectable errors as well. At least Baker's/White's make it largely painless to resolve.

2017-10-03_14-47-52_820.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on avoid watch collection as a hobby then ;)
I do own a few watches, nothing expensive, just seiko and citizen but my favorites are Gshock (GPW1000) and Garmin Fenix : )

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That being said, the fact that this stuff doesn't get caught before it leaves the factory is insane. Here's a boot I got in mid 2017. Notice anything missing? While it would be fixable, the other side had uncorrectable errors as well. At least Baker's/White's make it largely painless to resolve.

View attachment 1477748
I'll bite, it's a weird angle, but Im not seeing what the issue is or what's missing. My guess would be an additional eyelet or two before the speed hooks? But honestly, I see this large gap on all Bounty Hunters anyway (which I always found odd) but it seems intentional.

klugtrane

Reaction score
I'll bite, it's a weird angle, but Im not seeing what the issue is or what's missing. My guess would be an additional eyelet or two before the speed hooks? But honestly, I see this large gap on all Bounty Hunters anyway (which I always found odd) but it seems intentional.

It was missing a speed hook entirely. Four on the right side of the shaft. Five on the left. The type of thing that even the most cursory visual inspection should catch.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was missing a speed hook entirely. Four on the right side of the shaft. Five on the left. The type of thing that even the most cursory visual inspection should catch.

I was supposed to be able to deduce that from seeing only one side of the boot? Dope. :crackup:

What were the non-correctable errors on the other side out of curiosity?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this. If I want a submariner, I’m going to get a submariner, not one of the thousand or so homages out there. With that being said, I’m probably sticking with Bakers/White’s on my next few builds.

You have excellent taste... my passions - when it comes to material possessions - are boots, watches, and 1911 pistols... my most valued possession in this life is this plain vanilla Rolex, two line, no-date, Submariner 14060m, with drilled through lug holes and admittedly some scratches - each of which tells a story.

It is not fancy, it is not blingy, no diamonds, no precious metals, just a steel tool watch... Rolex made a ton of these over the years, but none of that matters to me... I value it not for its monetary value... that is de minimis... but because I inherited this one from my dad who passed far too young... I will likely never value another watch as much...

I wear it every day... I too have no interest in homage watches... it is 25 years old, still looks great, and keeps time to +/-2 seconds a day... and every time I look at it, I am reminded of my dad...

/thread hijack

Now, back to boots!
IMG-4550 (1).JPG

Last edited:

klugtrane

Reaction score
What were the non-correctable errors on the other side out of curiosity?

I don't have great pictures of it, but there were lots of slices in the welt that crossed into the inner row of stitches. Looked like an animal chewed on it. Would the stitches have held, maybe, but for $500+ wasn't going to find out the hard way. Additionally the welt didn't go to the edge of the boot - just the midsole. It was weird.

2017-10-03_14-31-13_446.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have great pictures of it, but there were lots of slices in the welt that crossed into the inner row of stitches. Looked like an animal chewed on it. Would the stitches have held, maybe, but for $500+ wasn't going to find out the hard way. Additionally the welt didn't go to the edge of the boot - just the midsole. It was weird.

View attachment 1477769
My 100% inexperienced eyes don't see anything wrong. Experts here might know better.

klugtrane

Reaction score
My 100% inexperienced eyes don't see anything wrong. Experts here might know better.

Granted the picture isn't great, but there are at least four things wrong with this.
- Green arrow points to where the second row of stitching is essentially directly under the inner row of stitching, which happens for a good quarter/third of the toe. You'd have to peel back the upper layer of the welt to even try to see the second row at all.
- Blue arrow is pointing to the top of the midsole covered in glue. This isn't the welt leather at all, which should extend to the edge.
- Red arrows are just two of the slices in the welt that extend into the inner row of stitches. Not good. I'm guessing this is from having the lines of stitching in the wrong places.
- Orange arrow shows the out edge of the vamp not extending to the edge of the boot, plus it's all nicked up too. As with blue arrows, properly done, this would be sanded off.

If you saw this in person, it would be quite obvious.

Second image shows what it should look like, albeit much dirtier and worn.
Both rows of stitching are visible since they aren't on top of each other (blue arrows). No cuts in the welt (red). Upper/welt leather goes to the edge of the boot so there's no shelf of midsole and sole hanging off the front of the boot (orange, hard to see because of the beveling and wear).

stitching.jpg

IMG_8347.jpg

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have excellent taste... my passions - when it comes to material possessions - are boots, watches, and 1911 pistols... my most valued possession in this life is this plain vanilla Rolex, two line, no-date, Submariner 14060m, with drilled through lug holes and admittedly some scratches - each of which tells a story.

It is not fancy, it is not blingy, no diamonds, no precious metals, just a steel tool watch... Rolex made a ton of these over the years, but none of that matters to me... I value it not for its monetary value... that is de minimis... but because I inherited this one from my dad who passed far too young... I will likely never value another watch as much...

I wear it every day... I too have no interest in homage watches... it is 25 years old, still looks great, and keeps time to +/-2 seconds a day... and every time I look at it, I am reminded of my dad...

/thread hijack

Now, back to boots! View attachment 1477771
2 line no date, drool worthy. Great choice. Lets hear about these 1911s. Nighthawk (my fav), Wilson, Dan Wesson, Les Baer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads