• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Thanks for such a professional response, @sambam. We are fortunate to have choices, but I'm proud to wear boots built and sold by professionals who don't take cheap shots at competitors. I've owned Wescos, Drew's, Nck's, and White's over the years. All are good boots in their own right, with different things to offer. I have to say I like the arch support on the White's 4811 and 690 lasts better than anything else I've tried. You really do have to pick what fits your foot the best, and go from there.

Yes, exactly. There are differences between these makers in a relatively minor way when it comes to quality, with much more of the difference being just differences in patterns or construction that are a matter of preference. Those cheap shots are really off-putting when any maker goes that route.

Unrelated: it makes a lot of sense to me that they won't do shell bounty hunters. That external heel counter might necessitate an extra shell, which would drive up the prices by a lot and be a clicking nightmare, I'd imagine.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unrelated: it makes a lot of sense to me that they won't do shell bounty hunters. That external heel counter might necessitate an extra shell, which would drive up the prices by a lot and be a clicking nightmare, I'd imagine.

But they have done it (unless these are mislabeled)

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is pretty normal imo, they will always have a few models, that they can't/won't make, available either on their page or Bakers. Likely R&D

Jpto

Reaction score

That looks like an MP upper on a 55 last to my untrained eye

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Kyle got back to me with my wife's measurements so I puled the trigger on a pair of BHs for her. Here's what I ended up with

Last: Women's 4811
Counter Leather: Distressed RO
Toe Vamp Leather: Distressed RO
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Distressed RO
Leather Liner: Canyon/Red
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Toe Cap Leather Color: Does Not Apply - NO Toe Cap
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Brass eyelets and hooks
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Midsole: Single
Edge: Brown
Heel Base: Packer Heel
Heel Lifts: -1/4" (Apparently the Packer heel is 2" tall vs. the standard heel which is 1 3/4". Kyle suggested going down a 1/4" so she doesn't feel like she's tipping over when she walks)
Sole: Vibram 430 Mini Vib
Sole Trim: Close Trim
Height: 6"
Size - Length: 5.5
Size - Width: EE

I think she's going to like them, at least as far as comfort goes. She'll have more arch support than I have with my BHs which is good, because she usually needs more of that than I do. I'm hoping they turn out the way I have them pictured in my head (and the few amateurish mockups I did in Microsoft Paint)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kyle got back to me with my wife's measurements so I puled the trigger on a pair of BHs for her. Here's what I ended up with

Last: Women's 4811
Counter Leather: Distressed RO
Toe Vamp Leather: Distressed RO
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Distressed RO
Leather Liner: Canyon/Red
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Toe Cap Leather Color: Does Not Apply - NO Toe Cap
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Brass eyelets and hooks
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Midsole: Single
Edge: Brown
Heel Base: Packer Heel
Heel Lifts: -1/4" (Apparently the Packer heel is 2" tall vs. the standard heel which is 1 3/4". Kyle suggested going down a 1/4" so she doesn't feel like she's tipping over when she walks)
Sole: Vibram 430 Mini Vib
Sole Trim: Close Trim
Height: 6"
Size - Length: 5.5
Size - Width: EE

I think she's going to like them, at least as far as comfort goes. She'll have more arch support than I have with my BHs which is good, because she usually needs more of that than I do. I'm hoping they turn out the way I have them pictured in my head (and the few amateurish mockups I did in Microsoft Paint)
Could you order men's bounty Hunters in 4811 last? On Bakers website , the only option is semi dress ( I think the HH bounty hunters have more options)
Thanks

redbaron1980

Reaction score
I havent ordered from Bakers for a few months but I would assume you would just customize a smokejumper.

I think yes to both. There's more customization options on the BHs than the SJs, so that's why I used them, but if you were fine with the amount of options listed for the SJ then that would get you the same boot. I just put in the comments field of the order which last, heel and instep mod I wanted. Kyle said they check every online order that comes in for anything that might cause an issue, but I sent them an email after placing the order anyway just to cover my bases.

paulraphael

Reaction score

Let us know how they fit! I've been talking about getting my girlfriend a pair, and she has a pretty hard hard time getting boots that fit.

ExtraitdeMinimalist

Reaction score
Pretty comfy out of the box and I imagine will only get better. Determined to beat them into the ground - doing my stay-at-home dad routine. They will see a lot of hikes at the very least.

1BAB58BB-92E5-419B-BBF1-FD6CA3B68081.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty comfy out of the box and I imagine will only get better. Determined to beat them into the ground - doing my stay-at-home dad routine. They will see a lot of hikes at the very least.

View attachment 1469635
Enjoy! are they bounty hunters in Natural CXL with double midsoles?

andy b.

Reaction score
I couldn't find your SJs' pics : ) but I could see you own Nick's boots. Do your SJs's soles look like Nick's Urban Loggers' soles? I can see screws on Urban Loggers (on Nick's website)?
As far as I know any time Whites uses the Vibram 100 lug sole it is held on with glue and screws, and also stitching if the stitching machine can get through all the layers. I have several pairs of Whites with the 100 lug sole, and they all have screws in them. I think the same is true for Nicks.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
A quick question: What does 375 smoke jumpers or 375 Farmer Ranger mean?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads