• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're correct on that, they don't. BUT, we have seen a pair or two here on the forum i believe...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're correct on that, they don't. BUT, we have seen a pair or two here on the forum i believe...
your boots also look taller than semi dress (inexperience manifests itself lol)

ExtraitdeMinimalist

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a White’s only October M-F.. before winter hits, and/or a second wave of rona that shuts down everything. Currently, the MP’s are my least favorite (I seem to hate all captoes that come my way) I’d also like to believe I’m a 9.5E across the board. The MPs, SD, and BH’s are all 10D. All fit 90% to perfect, less the length. Going from no boots, to Thursday’s, to RW’s, to White’s all in the span of this pandemic has me over and underwhelmed at the same time. Retail therapy is real, and now it’s time to put all these to the pavement, gravel, dirt, and whatever else.

159F0026-1AD5-48CC-AD62-AE5F13897BF3.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about doing a White’s only October M-F.. before winter hits, and/or a second wave of rona that shuts down everything. Currently, the MP’s are my least favorite (I seem to hate all captoes that come my way) I’d also like to believe I’m a 9.5E across the board. The MPs, SD, and BH’s are all 10D. All fit 90% to perfect, less the length. Going from no boots, to Thursday’s, to RW’s, to White’s all in the span of this pandemic has me over and underwhelmed at the same time. Retail therapy is real, and now it’s time to put all these to the pavement, gravel, dirt, and whatever else.

View attachment 1468004
Awesome collection of White's boots! years ago when I bought my first pair of AE boots, I go all excited and ended up owning 13 pairs of AE boots. I should have researched better and bought some White's. Well! you live, you learn.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably one of the most beautiful pairs of boots I have ever see. A newbie question though, I thought White's doesn't make semi dress taller than 5" ?
You can get a 7" Whites Semi Dress from Division Road... so it can be done!
1601425507889.png

Not to stir the pot (well maybe a little) but the specs call for a:
  • Cork Filled Insole
    (maybe this is just a replaceable insert, not an integral part of the boot... who can say?)

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
I just placed an order today. Here's the build:

Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
Counter Leather: Cinnamon Waxed Flesh
Toe Vamp Leather: Cinnamon Waxed Flesh
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Cinnamon Waxed Flesh
Leather Liner: Canyon/Red
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe [ $35.00 ]
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Toe Cap Leather Color: Does Not Apply - NO Toe Cap
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Midsole: Single
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Vibram 430 Mini Vib
Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch)
Height: 6"
Size - Length: 8
Size - Width: E

Logos / Embossing: Yes - I want standard logos and embossing

I went with 6" height... would 7" or 8" give any noticeable improvement in ankle support?

Kyle got back to me at 8E for my size down from my 9.5 D/E Brannock and 8.5 D Iron Ranger size. I'm assuming that sounds more kosher than 7.5EE. Should receive an 8E try on boot soon.

My build should basically look like the boot below with Vibram 430 sole
2B23C467-35E5-4AF9-A4CB-0BDE07824F01.jpeg

montanamike

Reaction score

I went with 6" height... would 7" or 8" give any noticeable improvement in ankle support?

Kyle got back to me at 8E for my size down from my 9.5 D/E Brannock and 8.5 D Iron Ranger size. I'm assuming that sounds more kosher than 7.5EE. Should receive an 8E try on boot soon.

View attachment 1468122
That will be a nice one. I believe the 430 can be done half sole style if requested though I haven't done it myself. That presupposes you are interested in that though.

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
That will be a nice one. I believe the 430 can be done half sole style if requested though I haven't done it myself. That presupposes you are interested in that though.

I think I'm gonna go regular 430 as my go any where do anything pair. Thanks for suggestion though

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1468122
Question: Is waxed flesh thicker/heavier than CXL or the other way around? Waxed Flesh does look dressy!
Thanks

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
Question: Is waxed flesh thicker/heavier than CXL or the other way around? Waxed Flesh does look dressy!
Thanks

I have read that waxed flesh is more weather resistant and sturdier than CXL. However, I think other members on forum would know better than me considering I haven't received my pair.

wordfool

Reaction score
Thanks

According to Horween, WF and CXL are basically the same leather, tanned the same way, but the finishing (color, wax, seal) is done on the rough (flesh) side for WF rather than the smooth side for CXL. I suspect they're just as tough as each other, but obviously rough vs smooth will age differently.

The White's (Horween) WF feels pretty substantial and thick, probably 6oz or more -- it feels thicker than the dress leathers but not quite as thick as the oil tan. And although it looks shiny and dressy at first the wax does wear off with scuffs and at creases, slowly revealing the roughout below -- that patina is what makes it so beloved by many. You can supposedly "re-wax" with VSC or similar, but it'll probably never look quite as pristine as when new

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics