• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fushaw

Reaction score
n00b question. What is the difference between Elk Tan and say, brown dress? Are they both chromexcel tanned leathers?

wordfool

Reaction score
n00b question. What is the difference between Elk Tan and say, brown dress? Are they both chromexcel tanned leathers?

They are the same type of leather, according to White's, but from different tanneries and slightly different weights (Elk being 0.5-1oz heavier than Dress). I don't know how the tanning process differs from CXL, but White's CXL leather (incl. WF) is noticeably thicker than the Dress leathers in my limited experience (and probably around the same as Elk but I am, sadly, Elk-less)

andy b.

Reaction score
I am not sure the machines at White's can do a triple mid plus the Vibram 100... but give it a shot... and post pictures!

Somewhere many pages back are my SJs with a double midsole and Vibram 100. The sole stitching machine can't go through the double and V100, so in that configuration the V100 outsole is only glued and screwed on.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhere many pages back are my SJs with a double midsole and Vibram 100. The sole stitching machine can't go through the double and V100, so in that configuration the V100 outsole is only glued and screwed on.
I couldn't find your SJs' pics : ) but I could see you own Nick's boots. Do your SJs's soles look like Nick's Urban Loggers' soles? I can see screws on Urban Loggers (on Nick's website)?

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finally got to take my black shells out for a 2.5 mile stroll at lunch today. Very pleased, less a decent squeak from the right boot - maybe just needs some break-in or a coat of VSC to deal wit it. Overall, great boots that I'm looking forward to putting some miles on this fall!

Attachments

• IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 159

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finally got to take my black shells out for a 2.5 mile stroll at lunch today. Very pleased, less a decent squeak from the right boot - maybe just needs some break-in or a coat of VSC to deal wit it. Overall, great boots that I'm looking forward to putting some miles on this fall!
They look out of this world!
I wonder how different is horse hide from Shell cordovan?

Woodtroll

Reaction score
It all boils down to personal preference. Viberg, Wesco, Nicks, White's. We all build them a little different. Some machine more, hand welt, Mckay stitch. All use the same basic tanneries as far as sole, midsole and upper leather. All will outlast any other manufacturers boots in the world. We at White's are always trying to make the best product and try to back it with exceptional customer service. Adding cork was to help fix the squeak issue and we didn't take anything out of the boot. So it didn't lessen the product. The double row cap stitch was only done for a short period to help upper sewing efficiency. Wasn't a time saver so we have since gone back to stitching both lines through the vamp. With 1000's of toe caps out there, none have come back with issues and none will. It a Ford/Chevy thing. Everyone should be happy that they have so many quality boot makers in the PNW who are still fighting to stay in business. We will never bad mouth any of them because we no how hard it is to keep the doors open. So choose what fits your style and your feet.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hugely different. I recently offed my HHs (which is basically the same as cowhide CXL) when i made the decision to pick up these instead. The Viberg folks just went a a crazy rant about how Shell differs from other hides, so i'd encourage a peak into that forum, where you'll see there are A LOT of opinions... :)

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Thanks for such a professional response, @sambam. We are fortunate to have choices, but I'm proud to wear boots built and sold by professionals who don't take cheap shots at competitors. I've owned Wescos, Drew's, Nck's, and White's over the years. All are good boots in their own right, with different things to offer. I have to say I like the arch support on the White's 4811 and 690 lasts better than anything else I've tried. You really do have to pick what fits your foot the best, and go from there.

I'm not sure how I messed up the quote function, but here is the post I was refering to:

"It all boils down to personal preference. Viberg, Wesco, Nicks, White's. We all build them a little different. Some machine more, hand welt, Mckay stitch. All use the same basic tanneries as far as sole, midsole and upper leather. All will outlast any other manufacturers boots in the world. We at White's are always trying to make the best product and try to back it with exceptional customer service. Adding cork was to help fix the squeak issue and we didn't take anything out of the boot. So it didn't lessen the product. The double row cap stitch was only done for a short period to help upper sewing efficiency. Wasn't a time saver so we have since gone back to stitching both lines through the vamp. With 1000's of toe caps out there, none have come back with issues and none will. It a Ford/Chevy thing. Everyone should be happy that they have so many quality boot makers in the PNW who are still fighting to stay in business. We will never bad mouth any of them because we no how hard it is to keep the doors open. So choose what fits your style and your feet. "

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hugely different. I recently offed my HHs (which is basically the same as cowhide CXL) when i made the decision to pick up these instead. The Viberg folks just went a a crazy rant about how Shell differs from other hides, so i'd encourage a peak into that forum, where you'll see there are A LOT of opinions... :)
Send me the link please, I want to ready what Viberg folks have to say about Shell : )

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these Bounty Hunters? I can't see the option for Shell cordovan on Baker's website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads