• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sledge42

Reaction score

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Sledge42 , is the Elk tan leather an upcharge like horse hide?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember asking you about Horsehide and you highly recommended it. What other types of leather you find 'better'"? I know the word 'better' is very subjective but I would prefer something a ) thicker and b) not have to worry about 'lottery' like in CXL.

So far we have two choices
1) Horsehide
2) Elk tan
3)....
4)....
Better is subjective... don’t leave out French Calf! The best do everything but hard labor albeit at a price premium is horse. Best polishable leather which may see hard use: Elk. Best dress leather: French Calf. Best standard leather for all purposes: brown dress.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Experts!! what do you think of 'this' area on the boot sole (I have circled it in the picture)? Will getting double midsoles result in a flat outer sole?

Attachments

• InkedBrownElkTan_LI.jpg
    InkedBrownElkTan_LI.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 167

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is actually a "hump." That is your arch support!
Thanks for clarification, I was just wondering if double midsoles would eliminate that 'hump'?

montanamike

Reaction score
They are just about as perfect for my feet as I have ever felt. You pair the knowledge of Kyle in sizing and the craftsmanship of Whites. It is a match made in heaven!

I actually found out about Elk tan on this site: https://emptygarage.jp/smokejumper/index.html

Then I found out later on from @Legal Eagles that they made it in black also. Whoo boy. "Take my Money!!"
We are living parallel boot lives. That is also where I first found out about elk tan and how I found out black elk tan specifically...

Am I correct that the brown isnt dyed through? It appears to be quite similar to brown dress in tone. If you have dress brown, is that fair to say?

Sledge42

Reaction score
We are living parallel boot lives. That is also where I first found out about elk tan and how I found out black elk tan specifically...

Am I correct that the brown isnt dyed through? It appears to be quite similar to brown dress in tone. If you have dress brown, is that fair to say?

I don't own any Brown Dress, so I cannot compare sadly. I know there are a lot of people who own it and love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads