• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fushaw

Reaction score
They look good, I really like the triple midole. Once I get my extra paycheck for coronavirus, I am going to order BH with triple or double midsole and vibram lug soles lol. I go this pic from Baker website but I think in the pick they have got single midsole.
Correct, that is a single midsole. I have that on my BH's and it's still more substantial than anything I've put my foot in. Double or triple? Wow!

Netvine

Reaction score
88685190-413C-4553-BAD8-3FFEAE525F91.jpeg

picked up a hitchhiker on the bounty hunters today

Jimk4003

Reaction score
That 'other' boot maker informed me they would have to charge me extra for hand-sewn boots and tried to convince me McKay stitching was better, also stated White's boots' midsoles are thinner.
When I pointed out about double and triple midsoles offered by White's then their reply was 'Wow, that's a lot of leather' and tried to downplay it, enough to put me off!
Gotta love a competitor like that ?????
Interestingly, Carl Murawski just posted a teardown video comparing the White's MP and the Nick's Americana:

He does seem to agree with Nick's that they use slightly thicker midsoles, and also concludes that the Nick's are slightly heavier duty overall; for instance, on the MP cap toe, one pair of stitching rows is purely decorative, whereas on the Nick's all four rows are used to attach the cap toe. The leather counters are also thicker and stiffer on the Nick's, and they're built with more nails (for what that's worth).

One conclusion from the video is that Nick's build their casual boots to the same standard as their work boots, whereas White's casual boots are slightly lighter duty than their work boots. Maybe that's what Nick's are trying to leverage when they claim their midsoles are thicker? Otherwise, the video says there's not actually much difference between the two companies work lines.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
By god I hope you are right... that backstay stitching looks like something one might find on the Stevie Wonder commemorative edition boot...
I would be very disappointed if White's let something like that out of the factory!

I bought a pair of their Steel Toe work boots this year. The owner agreed to give me a 15% discount on a 2nd pair if I loved them.. . Didnt take him up on the offer & if work didn't pay for them I'd have sent them back for a refund (not an exchange/rebuild).

Take a look at this hilariously awful stitching... $565 + $12 shipping and I had to send them back to fix a mistake they made on the build......

IMG_9802.jpg
IMG_9801.jpg
IMG_9800.jpg
IMG_9799.jpg
IMG_9798.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct, that is a single midsole. I have that on my BH's and it's still more substantial than anything I've put my foot in. Double or triple? Wow!
I have strange feet and very high arches, I don't want to feel the ground when I go for my daily walk or occasional hike. I am going to give the double or triple midsole with Vibram 100 a try, at least my feet and legs would get some real exercise lol

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have strange feet and very high arches, I don't want to feel the ground when I go for my daily walk or occasional hike. I am going to give the double or triple midsole with Vibram 100 a try, at least my feet and legs would get some real exercise lol
I am not sure the machines at White's can do a triple mid plus the Vibram 100... but give it a shot... and post pictures!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure the machines at White's can do a triple mid plus the Vibram 100... but give it a shot... and post pictures!
I thought White's boots were hand sewn?
Disclaimer: I don't know a thing about boot making process, just restating what I read on White's boots' website : )

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, Carl Murawski just posted a teardown video comparing the White's MP and the Nick's Americana:

He does seem to agree with Nick's that they use slightly thicker midsoles, and also concludes that the Nick's are slightly heavier duty overall; for instance, on the MP cap toe, one pair of stitching rows is purely decorative, whereas on the Nick's all four rows are used to attach the cap toe. The leather counters are also thicker and stiffer on the Nick's, and they're built with more nails (for what that's worth).

One conclusion from the video is that Nick's build their casual boots to the same standard as their work boots, whereas White's casual boots are slightly lighter duty than their work boots. Maybe that's what Nick's are trying to leverage when they claim their midsoles are thicker? Otherwise, the video says there's not actually much difference between the two companies work lines.

I just watched the video, very informative! at 16:03 , it says "middle layer of cork", on White's MP boots, cork on a $600 boot? I thought cork was for my AE $200ish boots : ). Kind of makes me wonder about Bounty hunters, I hope White's doesn't put cork in those boots lol

klank74

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don't know a thing about boot making process, just restating what I read on White's boots' website : )
They have machines that they use to stitch the outsole to the midsole ( as well as glue). It would be far to hard to go through the midsole by hand.
I just watched the video, very informative! at 16:03 , it says "middle layer of cork", on White's MP boots, cork on a $600 boot? I thought cork was for my AE $200ish boots : ). Kind of makes me wonder about Bounty hunters, I hope White's doesn't put cork in those boots lol
I’m pretty positive there’s no cork used in the their other boots. First I’ve heard about it in the MP.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have machines that they use to stitch the outsole to the midsole ( as well as glue). It would be far to hard to go through the midsole by hand.

I’m pretty positive there’s no cork used in the their other boots. First I’ve heard about it in the MP.
Yes, White's should really pay attention to this. Cork on such an expensive pair of boots. If the reason is 'comfort' then the price should be lower (in my opinion).
Do we have someone from White's on this forum?

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score

they are hand welted. The sole is machine stitched.

Re: Cork.
Whites uses a thin layer of cork for their midsole in the front/ball area of their boots.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are hand welted. The sole is machine stitched.

Re: Cork.
Whites uses a thin layer of cork for their midsole in the front/ball area of their boots.
@sambam said as much back in 2019 here...

However it was only supposed to be on the Main Street boots... which are IMHO not really worthy of being called White's but opinions can differ...

I was unaware the cork made its way into the MP... if so, the "All Leather Legend" appellation is no longer really applicable... is it?

I hope the cork has not further made its way into the heritage boots... that would be hugely disappointing...
1601091337486.png

In my opinion, the only "cork" that should ever be anywhere near a pair of White's look like this:
1601091677936.png

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score

Is that a fair comparison? The MP is a step below the sort of construction for which White's work boots (SD, SJ etc.) are best known -- it even comes in a different color box! Yes, the MP is still built like a tank compared to the likes of Red Wing or Wolverine, but it's not built as tank like as some of the arch-ease lasted boots that I'd consider true "work" boots.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a fair comparison? The MP is a step below the sort of construction for which White's work boots (SD, SJ etc.) are best known -- it even comes in a different color box.
The MP is listed as $589 boots, almost the same price range as Nick's boots. In my opinion it doesn't reflect good on White's but I am a newbie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics