• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

montanamike

Reaction score
I am not sure about the knife :) but what kind of boot is that? I like the Honey vibram sole, care to share some details? Thanks

I believe by look, another maker in the Spokane area. Honey vibram is available from all the makers in Spokane I am aware of (Whites obviously included)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe by look, another maker in the Spokane area. Honey vibram is available from all the makers in Spokane I am aware of (Whites obviously included)
you are probably right, it does look like the 'other' maker : )

montanamike

Reaction score
you are probably right, it does look like the 'other' maker : )

There are other makers in Spokane... This boot does not appear to me to be of the 2nd largest maker but that is a bit of a leap from seeing one picture. My guess is a maker with initials as the name.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those tips tend to break on the Civilian, Police, Matriarch. These hawkbill byrds are more practical, like the lil’ matriarch was. Much less expensive, they are made in china but I carry one everyday. They loosen up and the spyderco serrations are just as good. I do love the action on those Stainless Harpy’s. I think they have bolsters or something that makes them open and close very smoothly on the SS line but the weight and price are an issue.

View attachment 1465105
Point taken (pun intended), but the Civilian is not a utility knife... it is not for everyday use. It has one purpose and one purpose only... a single use knife if you will. If put to that use, one will not care if the point chips or breaks.

This is not knife forum, so I will leave it at that.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By god I hope you are right... that backstay stitching looks like something one might find on the Stevie Wonder commemorative edition boot...

I would be very disappointed if White's let something like that out of the factory!

klank74

Reaction score
My 2 try on pair were actually a SD (55) and a SJ (4811). I found them to be pretty much the same width wise and instep wise, but the SJ definitely has more height in the toe box. Some say they find the SJ to be slightly narrower in the toe box

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That 'other' boot maker informed me they would have to charge me extra for hand-sewn boots and tried to convince me McKay stitching was better, also stated White's boots' midsoles are thinner.
When I pointed out about double and triple midsoles offered by White's then their reply was 'Wow, that's a lot of leather' and tried to downplay it, enough to put me off!
Gotta love a competitor like that ?????

klank74

Reaction score
It's british tan CXL. The makeup should be their stock oxford with the exception of the change in last.

Good tip on Baker's - I'll definitely explore with them once I get a little more break in. For this style I had to go through White's directly since Baker's doesn't offer.

Hah - I wonder how many other A-width folks associate with the wide forefoot group :)

The look doesn't bother me at all, I'd just like to try those high arches everyone talks about. Maybe 4811 next, it looks like it might be more forgiving in the toebox than C461 or 55.
My 2 try on pair were actually a SD (55) and a SJ (4811). I found them to be pretty much the same width wise and instep wise, but the SJ definitely has more height in the toe box. Some say they find the SJ to be slightly narrower in the toe box

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's british tan CXL. The makeup should be their stock oxford with the exception of the change in last.

Good tip on Baker's - I'll definitely explore with them once I get a little more break in. For this style I had to go through White's directly since Baker's doesn't offer.

Hah - I wonder how many other A-width folks associate with the wide forefoot group :)

The look doesn't bother me at all, I'd just like to try those high arches everyone talks about. Maybe 4811 next, it looks like it might be more forgiving in the toebox than C461 or 55.
What is this 'swing' last? I couldn't find any information here.

Thanks

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen here several boots with double midsoles, has anyone tried a triple midsoles (on BH or other White's boots), just curious!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this 'swing' last? I couldn't find any information here.

Thanks
The first rule of the 38 Swing Last Club is that you do not talk about the 38 Swing Last Club!
Just kidding...
Check this out:

It is like the Munson last... but better!

fushaw

Reaction score
That 'other' boot maker informed me they would have to charge me extra for hand-sewn boots and tried to convince me McKay stitching was better, also stated White's boots' midsoles are thinner.
When I pointed out about double and triple midsoles offered by White's then their reply was 'Wow, that's a lot of leather' and tried to downplay it, enough to put me off!
Gotta love a competitor like that ?????

*looks down at BH beefy midsoles*

Huh... I never thought these were "thin" by any means. They're 6mm (.24") of oak tanned leather!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*looks down at BH beefy midsoles*

Huh... I never thought these were "thin" by any means. They're 6mm (.24") of oak tanned leather!
and look at those double midsoles, if they are thin then ................

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen here several boots with double midsoles, has anyone tried a triple midsoles (on BH or other White's boots), just curious!
Yep...
Black Horse SD with Commando... 38 Swing
The sewing machine was breathing hard this day my friends...
Bakers said this was the thickest that could be done on the existing machines, and even this was pushing it.
1601071166984.png

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep...
Black Horse SD with Commando... 38 Swing
The sewing machine was breathing hard this day my friends...
Bakers said this was the thickest that could be done on the existing machines, and even this was pushing it.
View attachment 1465482
They look good, I really like the triple midole. Once I get my extra paycheck for coronavirus, I am going to order BH with triple or double midsole and vibram lug soles lol. I go this pic from Baker website but I think in the pic they have got single midsole.

Attachments

• BountyHunters.PNG
    BountyHunters.PNG
    951 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads