• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

e39m5

Reaction score
White's Oxford, swing last, 9.5A arrived today.

First and foremost, I'm very relieved these fit.

I originally tried these in 9.5A on C461 per White's recommendation. They fit well through the widest part of my foot, but the shape of the toebox crushed my pinky toe into the toe next to it. It was painful to wear and White's offered a new pair since it was their fitting.

They offered going up a width or a length, but I couldn't imagine either relieving my pinky toe, so I ended up asking about the Swing. They went for it and here we are.

The right feels about perfect and the left feels a little too tight in width, but I think both will break in alright.

I do wish there was a better way to experiment with sizing. I know I'll want a semidress at some point and will need to decide if I should stick with Swing or roll the dice on the 55. Maybe I'll make it out to Spokane before then.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.png
    IMG_1215.png
    2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1216.png
    IMG_1216.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1217.png
    IMG_1217.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 141

klugtrane

Reaction score

I originally tried these in 9.5A on C461 per White's recommendation. They fit well through the widest part of my foot, but the shape of the toebox crushed my pinky toe into the toe next to it. It was painful to wear and White's offered a new pair since it was their fitting.

They offered going up a width or a length, but I couldn't imagine either relieving my pinky toe, so I ended up asking about the Swing. They went for it and here we are.

The right feels about perfect and the left feels a little too tight in width, but I think both will break in alright.

I do wish there was a better way to experiment with sizing. I know I'll want a semidress at some point and will need to decide if I should stick with Swing or roll the dice on the 55. Maybe I'll make it out to Spokane before then.

Looking good! Not as good as an Imola red e39 M5, but few things do.

Fit on the oxfords is hard, because you don't have the upper to keep the heel planted with such a stiff sole. Certainly one I wish I could have tried on before purchasing.

klank74

Reaction score

This look nice! What leather is that?

I’d talk it over with Kyle or Brandon at Baker’s before trying the 55 last, but I think it would be very doable for you. I ordered a pair of semi dress back in July from them (still waiting for them to get here). Anyways, after a couple try on pair’s, Brandon recommended the 55 last in a 13D with a C heel and a heel clamp to bring it down to a B heel, and an instep adjustment for my low instep. I decided if we were going to have to do all that, why not simplify it and go with the 38 swing last. I think I wound up going with a 13C with an instep adjustment. So you can always go with a combo last, but they can only build them with the heel one width narrower than the rest of the boot. I think Baker’s does the heel clamp after they receive the boots from Whites if you need the heel tightened up even more.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They offered going up a width or a length, but I couldn't imagine either relieving my pinky toe, so I ended up asking about the Swing. They went for it and here we are
Welcome to the cult of the 38 swing last... if you have a wide forefoot, it is a godsend.

I never knew what a really good fitting pair of boots were until I tried the 38 swing... it was like an epiphany.

The comfort level almost makes the Ronald McDonald comments from the peanut gallery tolerable!

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot Knives:
I’m soliciting suggestions. Kyle thinks he could add a scabbard to a pair to that id like to send the knife in for a custom fit.
What knife would y’all have me carry on my boot wit this pic as inspiration:
View attachment 1464948
EF7A9836-7CC3-4DAD-97EA-FF31552573B2.jpeg

You never know when you might be called on to make avocado toast!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot Knives:
I’m soliciting suggestions. Kyle thinks he could add a scabbard to a pair to that id like to send the knife in for a custom fit.
View attachment 1464948
Serious question... is there a reason you need a boot knife... or is it an affectation?

It seems like it would be a PITA, mess up my gait, and always be in the way... I am genuinely curious... I have seen scuba divers attach a knife to the ankle, but I assume you are not scuba diving in your White's (I mean you could... I would not judge... wierdo...)

If you really felt the need for a boot knife, there is no better choice in my mind for a last ditch defensive knife than the Spyderco Civilian...
1601044985019.png

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot Knives:
View attachment 1464948

In NC that would be illegal as it would be considered a concealed weapon and the only allowed concealed weapons are guns. Maybe add a holster?

Netvine

Reaction score
Boot Knives:
View attachment 1464948

An AG Russell Sting or Gerber Guardian

But Hoppy, a J frame would be even better will they really do this? Ive had a few people at work see my White’s and ask me about it actually.

Netvine

Reaction score
Serious question... is there a reason you need a boot knife... or is it an affectation?

It seems like it would be a PITA, mess up my gait, and always be in the way... I am genuinely curious... I have seen scuba divers attach a knife to the ankle, but I assume you are not scuba diving in your White's (I mean you could... I would not judge... wierdo...)

If you really felt the need for a boot knife, there is no better choice in my mind for a last ditch defensive knife than the Spyderco Civilian...
View attachment 1465084
Those tips tend to break on the Civilian, Police, Matriarch. These hawkbill byrds are more practical, like the lil’ matriarch was. Much less expensive, they are made in china but I carry one everyday. They loosen up and the spyderco serrations are just as good. I do love the action on those Stainless Harpy’s. I think they have bolsters or something that makes them open and close very smoothly on the SS line but the weight and price are an issue.

1601047299235.png

Last edited:

e39m5

Reaction score
This look nice! What leather is that?

I’d talk it over with Kyle or Brandon at Baker’s before trying the 55 last, but I think it would be very doable for you.

It's british tan CXL. The makeup should be their stock oxford with the exception of the change in last.

Good tip on Baker's - I'll definitely explore with them once I get a little more break in. For this style I had to go through White's directly since Baker's doesn't offer.

Welcome to the cult of the 38 swing last... if you have a wide forefoot, it is a godsend.

I never knew what a really good fitting pair of boots were until I tried the 38 swing... it was like an epiphany.

The comfort level almost makes the Ronald McDonald comments from the peanut gallery tolerable!

Hah - I wonder how many other A-width folks associate with the wide forefoot group :)

The look doesn't bother me at all, I'd just like to try those high arches everyone talks about. Maybe 4811 next, it looks like it might be more forgiving in the toebox than C461 or 55.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot Knives:
View attachment 1464948
I am not sure about the knife :) but what kind of boot is that? I like the Honey vibram sole, care to share some details? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads