• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group: Anyone have an advice on "whites-like" oxfords/derbies that aren't actually White's? I haven't tried the Otto Derby or the First Avenue Oxford and may yet, but I did get a pair of the old-school White's Oxfords, which was my lone miss with White's - far too stiff. I'm not interesting in spending Viberg Derby money, but any other shoes in that vain that others would recommend?
I have two pairs of N****'s Manito Oxfords and I love them... I also have a pair of W**** JH Classics and they are pretty good as well.

The Manito is a screaming deal considering what White's 300 Oxford goes for... the build quality among all three are excellent.

Plus if you know your size in a White's 55 last, you know your size in other Spokane maker's 55 last.

Make sure you ask for hand welted not McKay or stitchdown so you are comparing apples to apples... but it is a handsome shoe! I do not like posting competitors products on a White's thread as White's will always be first among equals in my heart, but I will make an exception this once.
1600812563796.png

klugtrane

Reaction score
I have two pairs of N****'s Manito Oxfords and I love them... I also have a pair of W**** JH Classics and they are pretty good as well.

The Manito is a screaming deal considering what White's 300 Oxford goes for... the build quality among all three are excellent.

Plus if you know your size in a White's 55 last, you know your size in other Spokane maker's 55 last.

Make sure you ask for hand welted not McKay or stitchdown so you are comparing apples to apples... but it is a handsome shoe! I do not like posting competitors products on a White's thread as White's will always be first among equals in my heart, but I will make an exception this once.
View attachment 1463489

Thanks for the thoughts. I have JH Classics, but haven't been able to get a great Wesco fit for my foot. Perhaps I can consider Nicks. I had a crappy experience when I was trying to buy a pair years ago that it turned me off to the brand.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. I have JH Classics, but haven't been able to get a great Wesco fit for my foot. Perhaps I can consider Nicks. I had a crappy experience when I was trying to buy a pair years ago that it turned me off to the brand.
Have you tried the Wesco 9109 bump toe last in exactly the same length and width as your White's 55 last sizing? The 9109 is the only Wesco last that I find really comfortable...

klugtrane

Reaction score
Have you tried the Wesco 9109 bump toe last in exactly the same length and width as your White's 55 last sizing? The 9109 is the only Wesco last that I find really comfortable...

I'm in Seattle, so I keep hoping to make it down to Wesco hq when they're open, but traditionally they didn't have their showroom open on weekends, which made it hard.

As I know the crowd here is keenly attuned to quality issues, my current JH Classics looked like they were sewed by Viberg and bottomed and lasted by someone on their first day. Goes to show how hard it is to make a good product, I suppose.

fushaw

Reaction score
What boot trees do you guys recommend for the BH?

I need to pick up some trees and a brush

ExtraitdeMinimalist

Reaction score
Took the BH out on a mile trek or so, pavement, gravel, grass, steep downhill/uphill. I don’t think the soles of my feet have ever felt this much support. The fit in 10D feels secure overall, Slight heel slippage, but no sliding or wriggly foot like in some of my Red Wings.

any break in tricks? I’m anticipating wearing them every other day for the next month or so. There was some rubbing on back of ankle on left boot and it felt like the second from the top inner eyelet was pressing in quite a bit.Is conditioning the shaft and breaking it in like a baseball glove unnecessary?

772EEE8F-1552-4076-8B48-12D260205567.jpeg

A4F63CF0-BFCB-4949-BA5A-1A9AEB091C11.jpeg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What boot trees do you guys recommend for the BH?

I need to pick up some trees and a brush

Any quality trees will work. Since I seem to buy my shoes in pairs, I have been buying two packs of these:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the BH out on a mile trek or so, pavement, gravel, grass, steep downhill/uphill. I don’t think the soles of my feet have ever felt this much support. The fit in 10D feels secure overall, Slight heel slippage, but no sliding or wriggly foot like in some of my Red Wings.

any break in tricks? I’m anticipating wearing them every other day for the next month or so. There was some rubbing on back of ankle on left boot and it felt like the second from the top inner eyelet was pressing in quite a bit.Is conditioning the shaft and breaking it in like a baseball glove unnecessary?

View attachment 1464012

View attachment 1464013
Do they have double midsoles? Thanks

klank74

Reaction score
i wouldn’t be able to tell. by the looks of it, no?
Those don’t look like double midsole. They’re single, but sorta look like double because you got the commando sole, which comes “set” into a leather midsole that is thinner than what White’s uses for a regular midsole. It’s more like a midsole and a half.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those don’t look like double midsole. They’re single, but sorta look like double because you got the commando sole, which comes “set” into a leather midsole that is thinner than what White’s uses for a regular midsole. It’s more like a midsole and a half.
Are we talking about this option on Baker's website?

Attachments

• commandosole.PNG
    commandosole.PNG
    80.9 KB · Views: 90

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads