• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sledge42

Reaction score
No Upcharge for Elk Tan.
It is readily available yes.

My Black Elk Tan shipped last week. Looking forward to sitting them next to their Brown Elk Tan brother's.

klank74

Reaction score
No Upcharge for Elk Tan.

My Black Elk Tan shipped last week. Looking forward to sitting them next to their Brown Elk Tan brother's.
Does the black elk tan have a brown core, like the brown elk tan?

montanamike

Reaction score
No Upcharge for Elk Tan.

Do you recall when you ordered? I ordered black elk tan June 22nd and am hoping my number will be up shortly.

ExtraitdeMinimalist

Reaction score
This whole time I was thinking I was going to take the most beautiful pics that the internet has ever seen of SJ’s.. but that can wait. Here they are, my first custom order of boots, and first from Baker’s.
White’s SJ / 8” / cinnamon wax / soft toe

The bounty hunter’s are from White’s eBay store a few weeks back.

Kyle as everyone has stated, is a man amongst boys. Sizing is spot on at 9.5E although I could have gone for a D width in the heel. Only thing I would change is 2-3 more eyelets instead of speed hooks.

2948D220-CC99-4E0C-AFD8-ED6AD31AC1DC.jpeg

Woodtroll

Reaction score
This whole time I was thinking I was going to take the most beautiful pics that the internet has ever seen of SJ’s.. but that can wait. Here they are, my first custom order of boots, and first from Baker’s.
White’s SJ / 8” / cinnamon wax / soft toe

The bounty hunter’s are from White’s eBay store a few weeks back.

Kyle as everyone has stated, is a man amongst boys. Sizing is spot on at 9.5E although I could have gone for a D width in the heel. Only thing I would change is 2-3 more eyelets instead of speed hooks.

View attachment 1462744

Nice boots!!

The good thing about the Smokejumpers only having four pairs of eyelets is, with the right laces you can give a firm tug after you put your boots on and seat them in, and the instep will tighten up just right all in that one tug. Then you just hook the hooks, and done!

Adding just one more pair of eyelets makes that impossible to do, at least on the 5-pair ones I've owned. Now I won't buy anything with more than 4 pair.

I hope both pairs of boots give you many years of enjoyment!

ExtraitdeMinimalist

Reaction score
Nice boots!!

The good thing about the Smokejumpers only having four pairs of eyelets is, with the right laces you can give a firm tug after you put your boots on and seat them in, and the instep will tighten up just right all in that one tug. Then you just hook the hooks, and done!

Adding just one more pair of eyelets makes that impossible to do, at least on the 5-pair ones I've owned. Now I won't buy anything with more than 4 pair.

I hope both pairs of boots give you many years of enjoyment!

Thanks, sir!

I figured there was a reason why the default was 4. It does make sense.

fushaw

Reaction score
Alright I got some pictures taken of my 8" Brown HH Bounty Hunters. So here's my initial impressions of my first ever MTO boot, high-quality boot, shoe that costs over $100 USD, etc.

The Makeup:
White's Leather: Brown Horse Hide
Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Height: 8"
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
Leather Half Slip: No thanks
Leather Laces: Yes Please [ $6.00 ]
Leather Liner: Canyon/Red
Lineman/Side Patch: No Thanks
Midsole: Single
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops [ $15.00 ]
Sole: Vibram 430 Mini VibSole
Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Logos / Embossing: No logos or Embossing
Top: Rolled Top [ $15.00 ]
Size - Length: 8.5
Size - Width: C/E

Kyle and I talked back and forth a number of times and there were 2 sets of tracings sent in to decide on the 8.5C/E last for my narrow heel and wider than avg, width in the ball of my feet. I'm a 9-0.5E on the Brannock. I placed my order August 11 and the boots showed up September 16.

The boots came marked 8.5D on the inside so I don't actually know if they are the C/E custom last like was ordered or just a standard D width in the heel and the toe box. They fit well and don't pinch on my toe box so I'm happy. With thin socks there is about 1/8" of play in the heel but I've read that with breaking in and also if needed, some thicker boot socks will solve this issue and it's been hardly noticeable.

The makeup is top notch in my opinion. Not perfect, but I didn't expect perfect down to the minutest of details. The stitching looks nice, the welt looks good IMO, the heel vamps line up nicely between the boots and there is no noticeable differences between the boots unless you were to pull out a jeweler's loupe and a fine tooth comb!

The Brown HH is very brown like a rich chocolate. But it looks great and I'm excited to see how they patina over time with use. I plan on using these boots for about everything from work (casual office IT job) with a business casual getup, (which is already 10x dressier than most of my colleagues wearing t-shirts, shorts, and sandals) and also out when I'm hunting or in the mountains and need a sturdy boot. Sturdy they are though, these come in at a pretty hefty weight which again, I was expecting, but wasn't really prepared for until I tried them on for the first time! I feel like Mando himself, ready to take on the world in these bad boys, and the construction of these boots certain lives up to the "Bounty Hunter" name.

Pictures:
IMG_7751.jpg

Heel vamps and uppers are very symmetrical (some people have had issues with this in the past I guess)
IMG_7752.jpg

Love the leather laces. One lace is about 3" shorter than the other which is a mild annoyance at best.
IMG_7753.jpg

Back stitching again is pretty even and consistent enough for me.
IMG_7758.jpg

tl;dr: I'm a boot noob but I love these and they're built like tanks and have zero complaints. Also Kyle rocks, so listen to him!

klugtrane

Reaction score
Question for the group: Anyone have an advice on "whites-like" oxfords/derbies that aren't actually White's? I haven't tried the Otto Derby or the First Avenue Oxford and may yet, but I did get a pair of the old-school White's Oxfords, which was my lone miss with White's - far too stiff. I'm not interesting in spending Viberg Derby money, but any other shoes in that vain that others would recommend?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group: Anyone have an advice on "whites-like" oxfords/derbies that aren't actually White's? I haven't tried the Otto Derby or the First Avenue Oxford and may yet, but I did get a pair of the old-school White's Oxfords, which was my lone miss with White's - far too stiff. I'm not interesting in spending Viberg Derby money, but any other shoes in that vain that others would recommend?

Get some ebay Whites and cut them down?

adrs1157

Reaction score
There's always truman. But I'm guessing they'll be just as stiff.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be looking at Japanese brands like Rolling Dub Trio and Moto as a starting point perhaps. Similar aesthetics for the most part but not as many options as what you'll have with Whites.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads