• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don’t pay attention to @Legal Eagles, when you combine the words CXL with British & Tan it’s like saying “Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice”
hahaha, for someone who grew up in the 80s that's probably the best simile!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I love cxl. Whites cxl is amazing. The clicking is just superb. I think some folks just find cxl a questionable choice for boots. It's not at all abrasion/scuff resistant.
yes CXL gets "scuffed" very easily, my understanding is the CXL used by White's is far superior to what Allen Edmonds has on their boots.

fushaw

Reaction score
I have zero experience, I've just followed this thread for 4-5 months and always hear the term "CXL lottery" thrown around. So some people tend to believe that there is a random probability of getting both good CXL leather implying that there is a potential for leather issues as well as a random probability of White's getting something wrong. So if you get a win/win, you've won the White's/CXL lottery. If it was a real, actual issue, I'd imagine they wouldn't be in business still so I didn't pay much attention to it. Plus I ordered through Bakers and they're supposed to do the QC and other things and Kyle was great to work with.

I was originally going to do Natural CXL or Distressed smooth but I took advantage of the HH promotion and got the free upgrade which make that decision easy!

My next pair (I already know there will be one) will either be Natural CXL or Distressed Smooth depending on my mood when I order.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have zero experience, I've just followed this thread for 4-5 months and always hear the term "CXL lottery" thrown around. So some people tend to believe that there is a random probability of getting both good CXL leather implying that there is a potential for leather issues as well as a random probability of White's getting something wrong. So if you get a win/win, you've won the White's/CXL lottery. If it was a real, actual issue, I'd imagine they wouldn't be in business still so I didn't pay much attention to it. Plus I ordered through Bakers and they're supposed to do the QC and other things and Kyle was great to work with.

I was originally going to do Natural CXL or Distressed smooth but I took advantage of the HH promotion and got the free upgrade which make that decision easy!

My next pair (I already know there will be one) will either be Natural CXL or Distressed Smooth depending on my mood when I order.
Thank you, when was this free upgrade to HH? : )
I can wait a little!

Ed13

Reaction score
Anyone here have the Foreman boots with a steel toe? Just wondering what they are like to walk around in all day. Any information appreciated.

discomute

Reaction score
British tan cxl is not British nor tan

I think LE adds in 'not cxl' too though I can't remember why

I'm the #1 CXL hater here but as LE points out it really has been thoroughly covered. I suggest you use the search function for posts that contain CXL and perhaps words like "abrasion" and "lottery" and you'll get the negative opinions.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m very happy with my (not) British (not) Tan (not) CXL boots, for what it’s worth.

C8812018-AC8E-4EE7-9569-BD24F0B0A802.jpeg
3E0CEAB9-EA69-41A6-A771-61B1CACAE6EA.jpeg

Jimk4003

Reaction score

Also, 'British Tan' conjures up images of some retired British ex-pat falling asleep on a sunlounger in the Costa Del Sol after one too many margaritas. If 'British Tan' was an accurate colour description, it would be lobster pink and come with a free bottle of aftersun.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think LE adds in 'not cxl' too though I can't remember why

I'm the #1 CXL hater here but as LE points out it really has been thoroughly covered. I suggest you use the search function for posts that contain CXL and perhaps words like "abrasion" and "lottery" and you'll get the negative opinions.
All good points...you might also search for "clicking".

It has been posted before, but I will just leave this here...

Who knows more about CXL than Horween? All of the pictures in the link above are considered "acceptable" by them... the question is, would they be acceptable to you on a $600 pair of boots?

There is no doubt that some people like @JustinW and @Neognosis won the CXL "lottery" but many others did not.

The question you need to ask yourself is: "Do you feel lucky?"

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never considered myself lucky but I guess I am as I have never had issues with CXL and I have had boots from Wolverine, Thursday (their CXL) offerings, Whites, sneakers by various makers, and John Lofgren. I have nothing bad to say about any of those leathers except for Thursday which was just not a good boot.

Neognosis

Reaction score
on Chromexcel:

I have three chromoexcel boots/shoes. I'm counting my British Tan Oxfords, though the leather is very obviously different.

Brit. Tan oxords, white's: People who know shoes often ask if they are Shell. They have NO wrinkles or creases, and have a nice roll at the bend point. They vary in tone from light caramel to well done caramel. This leather is really nice.

Allen Edmonds HIggins mIll in brown and cammo chromexcel: This leather is looser than the British tan white's, but there is no real loose gran and no real noticeable creasing. It scuffs way, way easier than the british tan, and won't take a shine as easily as the british tan. These are my current motorcycle boots while my white's semi dress are resoled, and they have a few spots where the leather has been damaged during regular motorcycle use that won't buff out.

Wolverine 1000 mile, color 8 chromexcel. These are dog ****. Absolute dog ****. the leather is so loose that they look like they are melting off my feet. This is the worst quality american made boots and leather that I have ever seen. Absolute garbage. Totally unsuitable for anyone who has any idea what a heritage work boot is supposed to look like.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wolverine 1000 mile, color 8 chromexcel. These are dog ****. Absolute dog ****. the leather is so loose that they look like they are melting off my feet. This is the worst quality american made boots and leather that I have ever seen. Absolute garbage. Totally unsuitable for anyone who has any idea what a heritage work boot is supposed to look like.
I have had the exact same experience with the exact same boot... the search for something better is what turned me on to White's... and other PNW manufacturers.

Neognosis

Reaction score
ME TOO, actually!

I had a pair of.. get this... AFfliction combat boots that were my motorcycle boots for years, and after they broke down and were falling apart, I started looking for an american made boot... found wolverine, bought a pair in "predator" leather, they were garbage and the eyelets tore out immediately, so I sent them back and wolverine sent me the cxl 1000 miles.... and I decided wolverine was awful and I started the search that led me here....

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on Chromexcel:

I have three chromoexcel boots/shoes. I'm counting my British Tan Oxfords, though the leather is very obviously different.

Brit. Tan oxords, white's: People who know shoes often ask if they are Shell. They have NO wrinkles or creases, and have a nice roll at the bend point. They vary in tone from light caramel to well done caramel. This leather is really nice.

Allen Edmonds HIggins mIll in brown and cammo chromexcel: This leather is looser than the British tan white's, but there is no real loose gran and no real noticeable creasing. It scuffs way, way easier than the british tan, and won't take a shine as easily as the british tan. These are my current motorcycle boots while my white's semi dress are resoled, and they have a few spots where the leather has been damaged during regular motorcycle use that won't buff out.

Thank you, I also have Allen Edmonds Higgin Mills in CXL (three pairs), does the CXL on White's thicker than the one the AE uses?
A politically incorrect question :) but do you think White's boots are the worth the price compared to Allen Edmonds? since we could probably get three AE pairs for the same money.
I haven't noticed any noticeable creasing on AE's CXL either.
By the way, I really like the Higgin Mills in black CXL, probably the boots I wear the most but my high arches want some White's lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads