• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

klank74

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how the 4811 last compares to the 55? If my research is correct, the 4811 toe box is taller, but narrower than the 55? And the heel is a bit wider and the arch support greater than the 55? Is the 4811 the same as the 55 length wise (thats what I'm the most worried about)?

Reason I ask is that the first pair of try ons Bakers sent me were SD's (55) in an 11.5EE. They were to short and the balls of my feet were about 1/2" to 5/8" to far forward of the wide part of the toe box. Heel felt pretty good though. I only had a fingers width between the sides of the boot when laced tight, but I have a low instep and Kyle had already recommended an instep adjustment after looking at my measurements. The toe box was just a hair to tight. Not real uncomfortably so, but enough that I knew if I wore them all day, the knuckle of big toe was going to be sore. Brandon estimated a 12E should fit me good. I disagreed as i didn't feel that length would get the ball of my foot in the widest part of the toe box. My brannock measurement heel to toe is a 13C, but my arch measurement is a 14.5B and thats what I was trying to match up.

I shelled out the $40 for shipping and requested another try on pair in a 13.5B, but I figured that probably wouldn't be available. I was right, so I told Brandon I to send me a 13C, just to see if I was heading in the right direction. I got the try ons today and unfortunately they are smokejumpers on the 4811 last. I didn't try them on with my normal boot socks, I had my super thin ankle high socks on that i wear with my sneakers. They were way to tight around the balls of my feet. I wore them maybe 10 mins and the big knuckles of my big toes were throbbing. However, the length seems pretty much spot on. The balls of my feet are in the wide part of the toe box and I've got about a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 thumb width of room in the front of the boot, which is about normal for me considering i have short toes. The toe box was so uncomfortable though, it made it hard to focus on how the rest of the boot fit. There was only a fingers width of space between the sides when laced tight, but again, I already knew I was going to need an instep adjustment. The heel was loose, but I was not wearing my normal, thicker boot socks. The arch support felt like it was hitting the center of my arches but it was hard to tell as my feet were so uncomfortable in them. The 11.5 SD's I tried were hitting right in front of my heel, which i have to admit, felt a little better, but I think I could get used to the arch support in the center too. Where should it be hitting? I'm going to give them a try again tomorrow, with my boot socks on, if I can get my feet in them.

I'm kind of at a loss here guys. I don't have the money to keep paying for shipping for try on pairs. Having read through this entire thread and how each last tends to fit, knowing that I like lots of room around the balls of my feet, and that I'm going to need an instep adjustment, I can't help but think the 38 swing last might be my best option. But, I hate to place an order and then they don't fit. How many try on pairs will Bakers send you before they cut you off? :)

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bored last night watching The Naked Archeologist, still waiting on my HH ordered in April. I decided to put the kilties in my natural CXL lace to toe. It is not a terrible look and I may just wear them like this for a while.

Since we had a denim discussion earlier, jeans are Sugar Cane about four years old.

IMG_20200814_094739139.jpg

paulraphael

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how the 4811 last compares to the 55? If my research is correct, the 4811 toe box is taller, but narrower than the 55? And the heel is a bit wider and the arch support greater than the 55? Is the 4811 the same as the 55 length wise (thats what I'm the most worried about)?

I have less experience than most people here, but recently discussed this with Kyle. I was ordering bounty hunters, and he sent me smokejumpers as a try-on pair. They fit well, but I wrote to Kyle with all your questions, like "aren't these supposed to be wider in the heel and taller in the arch ..." and this and that and this and that.

Kyle wrote to say that aside from the toe box height, the other differences are splitting hairs—you'll see more sample-to-sample variation than you'll see consistent differences between the lasts. And for whatever it's worth, my bounty hunters fit exactly as I expected based on the smokejumpers.

Quack Attack

Reaction score
Is there any way to pull up your exact order on Baker's website?

I think it was:

7" BH
No pull tab
Half gusset tongue, same leather
No liner
All eyelets (nickel)
Rolled top
Khaki upper stitching
Cap toe, single row stitch
Soft toe
Block heel, 90 degree, 1/4 lower
Double midsole, brown finish
Close stitching
Dr sole red-brown half soles
No logos

Email me!

[email protected]

Can be done ... going to have a few extra up charges, but we can make it happen.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any idea when the next opportunity arises for placing an order with bakers with a discount code ?
My guess would be Black Friday, but not sure if they’ve ran anything earlier in the fall before that.

klank74

Reaction score
For the first time since I started this process, I’m truly excited about putting my order through and getting my first pair of Whites!
This is the second pair of try on’s. The first was a pair of SD’s, these were SJ’s. I can tell the 4811 is not the last for me. They were way too tight in the toe box area and to loose in the heel. But we finally got the length right and the arch support feels great. Way more comfortable out of the gate than I expected. Unfortunately the toe box was so tight, my left foot was actually getting tingly.
So, do you guys think the 55 last would give me some more room in the toe box, particularly around the ball of my foot and be a little snugger in the heel? Or would the 38 swing last be a better candidate? The first knuckle of my big toes are real sensitive and I can’t stand any kind of pressure there. I know the 38 offers more room around the toes, but I wasn’t sure if that includes the area around the ball of the foot too.
071E39A7-0253-4898-AD6B-4A70528514FF.jpeg
D2F319D1-8256-47F8-9C59-ED7D47F06B53.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads