• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Would there be a problem with resolene sticking if the edges had been treated with oil or Obenaufs?

You'll be fine so long as they're not gooey with it. If they are heavy with product, I'd give em' a quick scrub with saddle soap. It's a good excuse to give your boot a bit of a deeper cleaning anyhow. Pull the laces, brush out the tongue. Dab some VSC on the uppers & brush em' down after the Resolene dries.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I save this pair for once in a while but damn I could wear em’ every day

7387627E-A5B3-4896-94DF-C2034772C3F7.jpeg

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
One thing I have learned being an attorney is that there are very few absolutes in the world... mostly the world is full of shades of grey, open to interpretation and opinion (and thus the standard attorney answer, "It depends..." and the associated hourly billing!).

Therefore when anyone makes an absolute statement such as:

I anticipate, nay expect, vigorous debate, and that the proponent of the statement has empirical data to support their position... just assuming you were only referring to abrasion resistance, there are numerous ways to test it, the standard I suppose being SATRA...

If we assume for the sake of argument that horsehide is more abrasion resistant than cowhide, are we then talking about surface abrasion only, or abrasion through the entire thickness of the hide? If for the sake of argument we further stipulate that oil tan is 150% thicker than horsehide - however should it turn out horsehide has twice the abrasion resistance - which can be expected to outlast?

This should be good for at least a page of debate before the material engineers chime in and it takes on a life of its own... hence my popcorn picture...

I will never abrade any of my boots, so I do not have a dog in the fight, I just like to read the comments...

So, which is more abrasion resistant and will last the longest... oil tan or horsehide... 3...2...1...GO!
Here are some horsehide boots that were purportedly used by a biker. I'll leave it to the experts to opine on how they have held up.

discomute

Reaction score
One thing I have learned being an attorney is that there are very few absolutes in the world... mostly the world is full of shades of grey, open to interpretation and opinion (and thus the standard attorney answer, "It depends..." and the associated hourly billing!).

I anticipate, nay expect, vigorous debate, and that the proponent of the statement has empirical data to support their position... just assuming you were only referring to abrasion resistance, there are numerous ways to test it, the standard I suppose being SATRA...

If we assume for the sake of argument that horsehide is more abrasion resistant than cowhide, are we then talking about surface abrasion only, or abrasion through the entire thickness of the hide? If for the sake of argument we further stipulate that oil tan is 150% thicker than horsehide - however should it turn out horsehide has twice the abrasion resistance - which can be expected to outlast?

This should be good for at least a page of debate before the material engineers chime in and it takes on a life of its own... hence my popcorn picture...

I will never abrade any of my boots, so I do not have a dog in the fight, I just like to read the comments...

So, which is more abrasion resistant and will last the longest... oil tan or horsehide... 3...2...1...GO!

It's the internet not a peer reviewed journal so I offer the following "evidence"

Oiltan is White's work leather and one supposes that the leather that is designed for heavy duty wear lasts at least at long as any other. Furthermore, it is twice as thick.

Now if you tell me horsehide is "as good" I'm not going to fight you on it, but since the TS said Oiltan wasn't suitable, my internet logic tells me the HH won't be either.

Roughout is oiltan backwards and may help, not so much for being stronger (since it is the same) but for its ability to hide the wear

Last edited:

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
It's the internet not a peer reviewed journal so I offer the following "evidence"

Oiltan is White's work leather and one supposes that the leather that is designed for heavy duty wear lasts at least at long as any other. Furthermore, it is twice as thick.

Now if you tell me horsehide is "as good" I'm not going to fight you on it, but since the TS said Oiltan wasn't suitable, my internet logic tells me the HH won't be either.

Roughout is oiltan backwards and may help, not so much for being stronger (since it is the same) but for its ability to hide the wear

Maybe neither cowhide nor horsehide is the answer. Maybe he needs kangaroo or stingray (or shark which isn't shown below, but in my experience is extremely abrasion resistant)?

1596978670646.png

Of course if you're into safety, this site says to dump traditional boots...

Last edited:

miggyramone

Reaction score
I feel like my HH Smoke Jumpers are barely breaking in. I've owned a few pairs of HH boots before but this pair has been brutal to break in. It probably has to do with not being able to walk around and travel in them like my past pairs.

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
Any advice on V-Bar vs 430 mini lug soles? Is one more comfortable than the other?

The V-bar looks thick and comfy but I've only tried the 430 on my old iron rangers

miggyramone

Reaction score
I've found the 700 to be very stiff and hard. It would cause me a lot of fatigue by the end of the day. The 430 is a bit softer and less noticeable.

If you are looking for something soft and comfrotbel, the 269 and 700 half sole are the way to go. The 269 is really bouncy and grips very well. The 700 half sole has a second midsole, giving you some extra cushion between the outsole and insole.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Any advice on V-Bar vs 430 mini lug soles? Is one more comfortable than the other?

The V-bar looks thick and comfy but I've only tried the 430 on my old iron rangers

I’ve ran a couple 700’s into the ground & have a few pairs on the 430. They’re both great & I find little difference in feel. The 430 wears a little faster & the 700 is fantastic for staying clean/not tracking mud in the house.
If you’re married or have carpet in your house the 700 will likely pay dividends over a lugged sole.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Horse lifetime = 25 - 30 years while a cow's = 18 - 22 years. Now, you might feel like that proves your point, but the longer the skin sees wear and tear on the original animal, the less supple and tolerant it will be following tanning. Plus if you have ever tipped an oiled cow, you know how tough that oiled leather can be. Also horses throw shoes. Cows don't need shoes. Cows are also so superior, they are worshiped in some areas. Also if you recall, the reliance on horse was the ultimate demise of the Trojans, its longevity was surprisingly short.

Last edited:

iamntbatman

Reaction score
A Horse lifetime = 25 - 30 years while a cow's = 18 - 22 years. Now, you might feel like that proves your point, but the longer the skin sees wear and tear on the original animal, the less supple and tolerant it will be following tanning. Plus if you have ever tipped an oiled cow, you know how tough that oiled leather can be. Also horses throw shoes. Cows don't need shoes. Cows are also so superior, they are worshiped in some areas. Also if you recall, the reliance on horse was the ultimate demise of the Trojans, its longevity was surprisingly short.

But how many cords of lumber would any of these creatures be able to fling, were any of them able to fling lumber?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics