• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
Not sure how helpful this is, but here are my brown horsehide BH (no celastic) and cinnamon waxed flesh MPs (celastic). Both are 15ish months old with heavy wear in about the most f'ing inhospitable environment in CONUS...why do I live here. somewhat rural Rocky Mountains.

I love both leathers (like weirdly obsessive). You can't go wrong. Waxed flesh and cxl will show the history of every little ding and scratch. HH seems to have shallow pigmentation (presumably because of the very tight grain?), but it is ridiculously abrasion resistant and will shine like crazy if you're weirdly OCD like @Legal Eagles into that.

I would have little concern about CXL lottery. IME, White's has the best clicking in the industry (good clicking certainly biases lottery odds in your favor). But I wouldn't get CXL on my first White's boot. It just gets beat to hell in a way that's not all that aesthetically pleasing (in contrast to waxed flesh, which looks pretty nice ravaged).

See: Viberg service boot in CXL.

I like soft toe on the 55 last and celastic on MP (but I high high volume feet that (I think) prevent the weird sagging you sometimes see in soft toe make-ups

Thanks for the fantastic feedback. Your HH Bounty Hunters look fantastic and so do the MP's. Either WF or HH are my favorite leathers and WF seems more rugged casual and HH more formal.
Leaning more towards WF as first boot. Hard to say how high volume my foot is: I'm 9.5 D Allen edmonds slightly wider right foot, with moderate arch. Just don't wanna get the dreaded pancake toes. Celastic might be the safe bet

fushaw

Reaction score
Not sure how helpful this is, but here are my brown horsehide BH (no celastic) and cinnamon waxed flesh MPs (celastic). Both are 15ish months old with heavy wear in about the most f'ing inhospitable environment in CONUS...why do I live here. somewhat rural Rocky Mountains.

I love both leathers (like weirdly obsessive). You can't go wrong. Waxed flesh and cxl will show the history of every little ding and scratch. HH seems to have shallow pigmentation (presumably because of the very tight grain?), but it is ridiculously abrasion resistant and will shine like crazy if you're weirdly OCD like @Legal Eagles into that.

I would have little concern about CXL lottery. IME, White's has the best clicking in the industry (good clicking certainly biases lottery odds in your favor). But I wouldn't get CXL on my first White's boot. It just gets beat to hell in a way that's not all that aesthetically pleasing (in contrast to waxed flesh, which looks pretty nice ravaged).

See: Viberg service boot in CXL.

I like soft toe on the 55 last and celastic on MP (but I high high volume feet that (I think) prevent the weird sagging you sometimes see in soft toe make-ups

Wow that HH makes me excited to get mine! I opted for natural HH after seeing what look to be some awesome patina jobs on the very few samples of Natural HH White's I could find online.

fushaw

Reaction score
Just sent additional measurements and tracings to Kyle. Both of my feet are right at 10.5" long sitting and about 1/16" shorter when standing, which looking at a brannock conversion puts me solidly at a 9.5 length shoe.

I guess I'll wait for a call back and see where the sizing recommendation goes from there.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on CXL. For more rugged casual boots I'm leaning toward cinnamon waxed flesh. I think CXL feels like a more dress leather. Thanks for posting more pics. They look well worn. Celastic toe ?

Yes, I believe they have a celastic toe. I would have to disagree on your characterization of CXL as a dress leather. Perhaps it's only semantics, but dress leathers are typically capable for achieving a glossy shine. That is certainly not the case with CXL. It's very much a casual leather. For fun I thought I'd provide some before and after pictures. Perhaps with more effort they can be made to look even better....

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200731_152454.jpg
    20200731_152454.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 137
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20200731_153211.jpg
    20200731_153211.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 133
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 20200731_153329.jpg
    20200731_153329.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 166

discomute

Reaction score
thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like that'd be a nice choice.

Yes Brown Smooth and Brown Oiltan are the same. Check out the below quotes for some pictures I've posted previously. I'm sorry my phone is making it difficult for me to post these properly

Okay here is a bit more of a write up of my lovely boots:

Last:Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
Counter Leather:Brown Smooth
Toe Vamp Leather:Brown Smooth
Upper (Shaft) Leather:Brown Smooth
Leather Liner:No Thanks
Lace Design:Plain Toe
Pull Loops:No Thanks
Celastic Toe Box:No Thanks
Toe Cap:Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style)
Toe Cap Leather Color:Brown Smooth
Steel Toe:No Thanks
Hardware:Antique Eyes & Hooks
Height:7"
Top:Cut Top (standard)
Midsole:Single
Edge:Brown
Heel Base:Standard
Heel Lifts:Standard
Sole:Vibram 430 Mini Vib
Size - Length:10
Size - Width:C with instep adjustment
Logos / Embossing:No logos or embossing

View attachment 1361861
Boots in the shade

View attachment 1361862

A bit of sun and a bit of shade to see the contrast

So these arrived a few days ago and as mentioned they have exceeded my expectations.

I am very happy with brown Oiltan which isn't quite as dark as I thought. I've given it a coat of renovataur and it just drank it in. It has a few minor imperfections but it's a work boot and leather and overall I'm very happy with the leather.

7 inches is great. I like the "in between" style of it, not too tall but certainly adds.to the bulk compared to the 5 inch mains streets

I think the last suits me but it's hard.to know what is perfect. With US $65 shipping one way, I doubt I would venture from the last and size.

I will soon dye the white stitching with resolene but haven't had the chance. The wife really likes them.too and says they are much more formal than would expect from photos. (Not formal like "with a suit" but she thought they would be fine with chinos and a collar which is the most you can expect)

Nice and beefy too and I hope - hard to tell but I hope - the unlined will.give me some cool in the warmth. Possible I will.end up tropics or subtropics in next few years and they might end up as camping or short bushwalk boots.

Interestingly when I walk despite the bulk of them I can really feel the ground..makes me think I could go another leather sole, which I liked will if I go for round 3 as I'd go a half sole this time*.

I haven't had a chance to walk on a very wet slippery surface as my danite sole sucks on that. Will.be interesting.

The other odd thing is I feel like the arch support goes across the entire horizontal width, hopefully I just need to meld my foot into place.

So overall I.am.thinking my 3 year old and I will be on a lot of picnics in walkable distances this year. Things we can do together, but still distance from others, and these will be perfect. As I mentioned, I was sacked from.my. job recently due to covid, about 5 week after passing up a safe job with government - as my bosses promised my the sky. Not to mention my wife is an intensive care.doctor and pregnant.. so like all of us right now, life is very out of sync, and I just could not take a fight with White's or Bakers if there was an issue. There is not

My first "real" pair of white's and I'm very happy.

* Round 3 will not happen until I'm safely employed again, Aussie dollar is over 75 cents and I have not moved to the super hot part of the tropics... All three happening within 2 years I'd say 25%
So yesterday I spent some time ok Google Earth looking for a patch of land I could take the kid through for a walk (Australian are allowed out for exercise) and where I would not see anyone. It was mission accomplished, although the river I thought we were looking for was a swampy gully. My three year old thought this was the best thing ever and proceeded to jump in every "muddy puddle" she could find. It was a good first real test for the new boots and they held up very well, great ankle support and keeping my feet dry.

View attachment 1365274

(PS. Looks like I'm getting half of my job back too thanks to government intervention so pretty happy ATM)
View attachment 1402107

Getting cold here in Australia. Weather is all over the place but the lockdown has eased. This is my outfit at the moment and I am loving it

Hat - akubra rabbit pelt - don't need sunnies on a walk when sun peaks out, and keeps drizzle off. Often in same hour.

Jacket - very thick and warm in a.... I dunno... waxed suede or something. Zipped up with just a tshirt it can handle anything above 5C/40F , sun comes out it gets opened and with just a t-shirt it's fine.

Bounty Hunters - yup has dealt with anything thrown at so far without losing traction or getting wet. I am thinking I should have gone for a 4811 for better arch support since it's slightly under what I wanted - but of course it's hard to get it exact, plus the benefit of the slightly more formal last is lost when I'm not going to to the pub anytime soon.

Anyway. It's good to get outside again.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question, anyone here have Main Streets in Suede?

Do they fit like usual or run large/small?

Looking at these:

Bumping my own question on fit. Are these worth $200?

discomute

Reaction score
Bumping my own question on fit. Are these worth $200?

I have a pair in calfskin so I can't comment on the suede. But I think MS are a very good smart casual boot. The wearing in period and fit are better to me than the BH

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair in calfskin so I can't comment on the suede. But I think MS are a very good smart casual boot. The wearing in period and fit are better to me than the BH

Sizing is the same?

discomute

Reaction score
Sizing is the same?

10D in main Street, as my socks moved around a tad unless they were very tight I was recommended 10C (55 last is a bit narrower too) in the 55

The real issue for me with the 55 has been the break in for some spots on my outer sole. I've posted photos before and the issue hasn't resolved itself

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10D in main Street, as my socks moved around a tad unless they were very tight I was recommended 10C (55 last is a bit narrower too) in the 55

The real issue for me with the 55 has been the break in for some spots on my outer sole. I've posted photos before and the issue hasn't resolved itself

Thank you for that. So, you wear the same size, just go narrower on the 55, did I understand that correctly?

discomute

Reaction score
Thank you for that. So, you wear the same size, just go narrower on the 55, did I understand that correctly?

Correct, same length

Regarding the width, I had a question mark over whether the Barrie (MS) was too wide in a D

Apparently there is a half size difference in width from the Barrie to the 55

So add those two things together I went down in width

But in length they are the same

wordfool

Reaction score
Correct, same length

Regarding the width, I had a question mark over whether the Barrie (MS) was too wide in a D

Apparently there is a half size difference in width from the Barrie to the 55

So add those two things together I went down in width

But in length they are the same

I was advised by Baker's to go down a half size for my MP (Barrie) compared to my 55-last boots. Width (C) remained the same. Not sure if the MS is the exact same last/shape as the MP though.

Turns31

Reaction score
Replacement MPs just came in. They look great and fit even better. Definitely going to be my apocalypse boots and I'm sure they'll put up with anything.

Pictured with their sexier twin sister for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_102929.jpg
    IMG_20200801_102929.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20200801_102823.jpg
    IMG_20200801_102823.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20200801_102849.jpg
    IMG_20200801_102849.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 136

barbellhacks

Reaction score
Replacement MPs just came in. They look great and fit even better. Definitely going to be my apocalypse boots and I'm sure they'll put up with anything.

Pictured with their sexier twin sister for comparison.

Those look awesome. Did you change sizes or was there indeed a lasting mistake?

Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder and all...but I've come to prefer the MPs (I have plain toe 2030s in nat cxl and MPs). MPs have such a striking 3/4 profile*.

* I used to be normal. Now I jabber about boots' 3/4 profiles. What happened to me?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads