• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

montanamike

Reaction score
It has been a long time waiting, but my Frank's finally arrived yesturday. I'm a big advocate for whites, as I have 3 pairs, but heard great things about Frank's. I placed my order January 21 and then covid happened. So here we are 5 and half months later. They came out really well and the craftsman ship is outstanding. I was really impressed, and they fit great.

Nice... I have a pair of Whites rebuilt by Franks. I got to know Frank a bit when he was at Nicks and followed him over to have my Whites rebuilt. Nice guy and I am quite happy with them. The website can use a kick in the tail but the boots are great.

Michael Bandy

Reaction score
It has been a long time waiting, but my Frank's finally arrived yesturday. I'm a big advocate for whites, as I have 3 pairs, but heard great things about Frank's. I placed my order January 21 and then covid happened. So here we are 5 and half months later. They came out really well and the craftsman ship is outstanding. I was really impressed, and they fit great.
Those are chonkers man. They look gnarly!

Leveskie

Reaction score
Thanks man! I wanted something different, and I like 10 inch boots. Alot of boots here are like 6 inch, which is great too.

Leveskie

Reaction score
@Leveskie - my next pair of work boots will likely be Franks. great pair.
They are breaking in nicely! Wore them for 4 hours on Wednesday, and then 12 hours yesturday. They are breaking in better than what I was expecting. Normally with whites it takes me a week before I can wear them all day.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
There are several good boot makers in the Pacific Northwest, but they have their own threads or new threads can be started. I understand that comparisons are helpful and you can’t make comparisons without mentioning other boots, but why the extensive discussion about other-than-White’s boots on the White’s thread? Sort of like posting pictures of a Camaro on a Mustang thread.

Leveskie

Reaction score
There are several good boot makers in the Pacific Northwest, but they have their own threads or new threads can be started. I understand that comparisons are helpful and you can’t make comparisons without mentioning other boots, but why the extensive discussion about other-than-White’s boots on the White’s thread? Sort of like posting pictures of a Camaro on a Mustang thread.
I understand, but i dont believe there is a Frank's boots thread and I said in post # 15,924 that I was going to purchase some other boots. So I just followed up with some pictures.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont believe there is a Frank's boots thread...
You could start one... be the change you want to see in the world...
After all, it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate debate about which brand of boots are best in here - but I don't consider this thread to be so busy that putting photos and snippets of other PNW boots is inconvenient. Just my opinion.

I’ve been known to post the occasional pic of my Dayton service boots here. Just doesn’t seem worth starting a special thread for them. Hell, even the Wesco thread barely gets traffic.

Whaley

Reaction score
As @iamntbatman said, a 55-last boot will have a 55-last toe, not a Barrie toe. What you (and many others) probably want is the much ballyhooed 5050 last, which is a 55 last in the heel and arch and MP last at the ball and toe. It was prototyped last year but everything's gone quiet since the last update from @sambam earlier this year so no idea when it will be available.

5050 last is coming very soon. Already some boots in house built on it. I refuse to wear a boot without arch ease in it anymore and for those that feel the same I can promise that it’s a game changer for the MP and dress boots.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5050 last is coming very soon.
We have heard that before... reminds me of the line from Brown v. Board... "all deliberate speed"... which has always meant more deliberation than speed.

White's makes a fine boot to be sure, however no one will accuse them of alacrity when it comes to product development. They are already beyond their original promised roll-out date.

Fool me once...

Luscombe

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on the leather trim options for my SD recraft. I have to let Kyle know my choice on Monday.

My stock SD 10C dress browns are being recrafted. They will be sized to 10B. I plan on a classic boot and want to include a complimentary leather on the Medallion cap and backstay. This will be a dressy build:
Single leather sole, soft toe, liner, standard cuban heel, no pull tabs, all eyes-no hooks. Trying to keep the boot light but the liner is a must. The toe cap and backstay leathers want to be similar but different relative to the brown dress. I would like a little contrast.
Options certainly include but not limited to:
Black Cherry WB
Brown Bison
Brown Smooth
Brown Bull
Classic Brown
These will be office/work boots and am looking for just a little pop on a classic profile.

I would appreciate any suggestions/opinions and phots if you have them.
TIA

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on the leather trim options for my SD recraft. I have to let Kyle know my choice on Monday.

My stock SD 10C dress browns are being recrafted. They will be sized to 10B. I plan on a classic boot and want to include a complimentary leather on the Medallion cap and backstay. This will be a dressy build:
Single leather sole, soft toe, liner, standard cuban heel, no pull tabs, all eyes-no hooks. Trying to keep the boot light but the liner is a must. The toe cap and backstay leathers want to be similar but different relative to the brown dress. I would like a little contrast.
Options certainly include but not limited to:
Black Cherry WB
Brown Bison
Brown Smooth
Brown Bull
Classic Brown
These will be office/work boots and am looking for just a little pop on a classic profile.

I would appreciate any suggestions/opinions and phots if you have them.
TIA
Dark Brown French Calf

Luscombe

Reaction score
We have heard that before... reminds me of the line from Brown v. Board... "all deliberate speed"... which has always meant more deliberation than speed.

White's makes a fine boot to be sure, however no one will accuse them of alacrity when it comes to product development. They are already beyond their original promised roll-out date.

Fool me once...
It would certainly be nice to see that last become available and I would take advantage of the opportunity. I think "Patience Grasshopper" is probably good advice.

As an aside, I would like to thank all of the posters here for sharing their wisdom on this thread and encourage everyone to read through the entire thread. It is quite an experience. For the last couple of weeks, I have been going through the thread from the beginning. The thread is crammed full of great information, a must read.

That said, It is like reading a novel where the plot keeps jumping from one plotline to another with interrupting chapters in between.
I have this awesome custom boot build in production. Stay tuned until the great reveal, no spoilers.
Will the sale of the company be the ruin of the quality and product? Will Eric be able to grow the business volume or lose his chair? Will the 100 plus styles now available be enough or will more styles be coming? Will the 5050 last be the great bridge between the model lines?
Can we ever expect a "True British Tan" leather?
Exactly what is the best heel style and height? How about them soles, all leather, one, two or three, rubber treads, how about a Topy?

The list keeps growing. The most meaningful sub-plot to me is Hoppy-IPA's Russet HH Bounty build. I went through the build posts, the reveal with pictures and then was pining for the after break in photos. This build is so awesome that some folks are displaying the photos in their office. This is epic stuff and those boots are drop-dead gorgeous. Hats off to Hoppy to take the risk and go down this custom road. We are benefiting from what he is trying to do. I feel for his investment and hope Baker's steps up. No spoilers as I am only up to the post where he sends them back to Kyle.

My point in all of this is that this thread is great reading and an invaluable resource to those of us just starting this journey. I am 3 Whites boots into this rabbit hole and I think I have determined my correct last and size. The fitting journey is not for the faint of heart especially if you have a-typical feet and can't get to Eugene or Spokane for an in-person fitting. Mail order shoe sizing with expensive hand made boots takes time, patience and money. The journey is exciting and finding a great fitting boot with arch support, at least for me, is worth it.

This thread helps me understand the path others have taken and the reward when they open the box and put on the boot. My 3rd White's was an MP HH that fit properly, alas minimal arch ease. The smell was intoxicating when I opened the box and the fit was nearly perfect.

To keep track of the great info in this thread, I created separate word documents to capture topical information such as SD builds, BH builds, Last comparisons, etc. This has been helpful to me.

Attachments

• MP Feet 1.jpg
    MP Feet 1.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 190

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads