• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on the MP-55 aka MP boot built on the semi dress 55 last instead of the Barrie last... does anyone here have a pair and can you say if it fits/feels like a 55 last bounty hunter, which I love, or does it feel like the regular Barrie MP? Which I... um...don’t love to put it mildly. I know this may seem like a silly question but I would love opinions from guys that have tried all 3

Hi! I'm glad I didn't kill the the thread with my last post.

So I can't give an opinion, though if you like the 55 last I am curious why you prefer the MP over the BH? The heel counter?

ThatDudeOrion

Reaction score
Hi! I'm glad I didn't kill the the thread with my last post.

So I can't give an opinion, though if you like the 55 last I am curious why you prefer the MP over the BH? The heel counter?

The issue is that White’s will only do shell cordovan in the semi dress and the MP pattern, They can’t / won’t build you a shell cordovan bounty hunter. So I had pretty much dismissed the idea since I have tried a couple different sizes on the regular Barrie lasted MP and it just doesn’t agree with my foot, but I recently noticed that Bakers eBay store has a burgundy shell MP55 and so I’m wondering if I should reconsider since they can build it on my favorite last...

crio

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have photos of a pair of SD or Bounty Hunters with a 1/4 lowered block heel and a double leather sole? Can't seem to find examples of this makeup anywhere...

thanks

wordfool

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have photos of a pair of SD or Bounty Hunters with a 1/4 lowered block heel and a double leather sole? Can't seem to find examples of this makeup anywhere...

thanks

Here's one example, although it's on the C461 last:

Luscombe

Reaction score
I have been reading through this forum for the last few days. It's like reading an encyclopedia, some of you won't know what that is, and then taking an oral exam on the content.

There is a tremendous amount of data, photos, and opinions on these pages; all good. My purpose is to home in on the build for my next boot, leather, options, last and style. Thank you to all who have contributed.

Right now I am a little confused. In post, 14110 @sambam stated that the MP is available on the 55 last. Well that got my attention. I like the arch ease. I have a pair of SD's that are too wide and a pair of MP's that fit perfectly. The MP's are HH and I really like the look and feel including the 6" shaft much better than the SD, but miss the arch ease as I have high arches. An MP on a55 last sounds like just the ticket.

Question:
Is the MP (55) available and would it be less weight than a similarly optioned BH?
What is the difference between the BH and the MP on 55 last?
Is it identical except the toe on the MP is sleeker?
I am looking for lighter weight and sleeker look on this boot.

I want a 6" shaft and the arch ease. The MP Sherman fits me perfect in a 10B.
My plan is to recraft my SD's to a 10B, confirm the fit then order a 6" boot in the 55 last.
I thought I was pretty much limited to just the BH but looks like they can do an MP (55).

My SD's are currently being recrafted to a 10B.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Well the last is what determines the fit. An MP on the 55 last will have the same fit and proportions as a Bounty Hunter. The main difference is the look of the heel counter.

Have you considered the packer last? Even more arch support than the 55 and a sleeker toe. However, you can't really have lots of arch support while also having the lowered MP style block heel.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Well the last is what determines the fit. An MP on the 55 last will have the same fit and proportions as a Bounty Hunter. The main difference is the look of the heel counter.

Have you considered the packer last? Even more arch support than the 55 and a sleeker toe. However, you can't really have lots of arch support while also having the lowered MP style block heel.
At this time, I would stay with the 55 last. That has plenty of arch support and I will have a reference boot to compare with. To me the profile of the toe on the MP (55) would be the major difference from the BH.
If the heel height was increased on the MP to be the same as the BH, would they look the same except for the toe?

My boots arrived at Bakers today so I expect a call from Kyle tomorrow and will ask him about this. I am more curious than anything else.

theratpack

Reaction score
I am looking at ordering my first pair of White's Semi-Dress (Retro - Americana) boots and was hoping some of my more learned styleforum friends can help to point me in the right direction.

My first problem is which last when choosing between the Standard, 38-Swing and C-461 lasts. Any words of advice are appreciated, and are there any photos of each of the mentioned White's lasts. If it helps any, my favourite Alden boot last is the Grant last.

Now for sizing... If I wear a size 10½-D in each of the the Red Wing Iron Ranger and Alden Barrie last, what size would you recommend in each of the available White's lasts, and with the assumption that I will be wearing the same weight of sock.

With my thanks for any help you can provide.

Peter A

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking at ordering my first pair of White's Semi-Dress (Retro - Americana) boots and was hoping some of my more learned styleforum friends can help to point me in the right direction.

My first problem is which last when choosing between the Standard, 38-Swing and C-461 lasts. Any words of advice are appreciated, and are there any photos of each of the mentioned White's lasts. If it helps any, my favourite Alden boot last is the Grant last.

Now for sizing... If I wear a size 10½-D in each of the the Red Wing Iron Ranger and Alden Barrie last, what size would you recommend in each of the available White's lasts, and with the assumption that I will be wearing the same weight of sock.

With my thanks for any help you can provide.

Peter A

Just FYI, I was told by Baker that White's doesn't offer the small eyelets used on the SD Retro model anymore, so you'll get 6 eyelets rather than 8. I'd confirm if that's important to you.

theratpack

Reaction score
Just FYI, I was told by Baker that White's doesn't offer the small eyelets used on the SD Retro model anymore, so you'll get 6 eyelets rather than 8. I'd confirm if that's important to you.

thanks for letting me know... that could in fact be a deal breaker

iamntbatman

Reaction score
At this time, I would stay with the 55 last. That has plenty of arch support and I will have a reference boot to compare with. To me the profile of the toe on the MP (55) would be the major difference from the BH.
If the heel height was increased on the MP to be the same as the BH, would they look the same except for the toe?

My boots arrived at Bakers today so I expect a call from Kyle tomorrow and will ask him about this. I am more curious than anything else.

The toe shape is determined by the last. If you use the 55 (semi-dress last, the same used in the Bounty Hunter), you will get a toe that looks like a Bounty Hunter, not the sleeker MP last toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads