• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Credit where credit is due...I'm a pesky millennial who hates the phone and relies on email and instagram to interface with brands. My narrow foot has led me away from off-the-rack and to brands like White's/Rancourt that fit better and I'm more excited to wear, but I've found a few times that my expectations don't match reality for how some of these older brands operate.

I've been hemming and hawing on my size decision for my new pair. I ended up placing an order late Friday for B-width, changed my mind after putting some miles on my MPs over the weekend, and sent an email Monday morning to change the size to A-width.

Turns out I should have called. They didn't get to the email until a few days later, after the leather had been cut, so we were caught in tough situation. I ended up offering to pay to re-cut new leather and they decided to waive the cost.

They didn't need to do that but I'm awfully glad they did. Now just hoping my new-found conviction in A-width turns out correct.

As a Gen-Xer my humble advice:

Pick up that $1,000 iPhone and make a call. Kyle @ Bakers is salt of the Earth "Good people" who will go out of his way to make you happy, and you may just enjoy having a conversation.

Not bagging on you.. just offering some advice for growth.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@Legal Eagles - So I searched my phone for pics of the Russet HH. I *may* have deleted pics of them so I didn’t have to look at them again ha.
I do have a lot of pics from day 1 and a pic did catch my eye. Keep in mind, this with only an hour or two of wear but you see how the creasing wanted to develop. It really got bad before I put them up out of frustration about the squeak which is really what got to me. I probably could have lived with less than ideal creasing but that noise they made while doing almost nothing was OBSCENE! I was talking to Kyle on the phone when he was inspecting them and just flexing the boot by hand you could hear it over the phone lol. I should have taken some video just so y’all could have had a laugh.
*FOR THE RECORD, KYLE & BAKERS HAVE WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE THAT SITUATION RIGHT EVEN THOUGH THEY FOR REAL DID NOT HAVE TO* I need to be very clear about that because their outstanding customer service gets mentioned a lot but it’s in times like that you really have to tip your hat.

anyways - here’s the best I could muster. Pics from day 1 with an hour or 2 of wear. You can see how miserably this leather wants to break:

Attachments

• 9C7690BB-43D0-4A32-889C-9829C32C2868.jpeg
    9C7690BB-43D0-4A32-889C-9829C32C2868.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 229

alset_rl

Reaction score
Not sure I understand the question. I'd assume it's less hairy than any rough out leather, but my own distressed White's won't show for at least 6 weeks.
Yeah, I'm not sure anymore. Andy below says they both look the same.

My Distressed RO is less hair than other roughout leathers I have seen. The almost appeared lightly waxed in some areas. I would say they more closely resembled chamois RO vs say a CXL RO.

Interesting that they look lightly waxed. I really love the chamois RO leather. Bakers don't seem to offer them though and I wish they did.

I have Whites in Distressed RO and Black oil tanned RO. I don't notice any difference in hairiness.
The Distressed isn't pre-damaged like distressed jeans, it is just a different tanning process. It definitely absorbs water more than the heavy oil tanned leathers. The smooth side of the Distressed is not as shiny and smooth as the oil tanned, but it isn't like suede or Nubuck.

Good to know. I am starting to think now if the distress is just about the smooth side of the leather and has no bearing to the flesh side at all.

discomute

Reaction score
@Legal Eagles - So I searched my phone for pics of the Russet HH. I *may* have deleted pics of them so I didn’t have to look at them again ha.
I do have a lot of pics from day 1 and a pic did catch my eye. Keep in mind, this with only an hour or two of wear but you see how the creasing wanted to develop. It really got bad before I put them up out of frustration about the squeak which is really what got to me. I probably could have lived with less than ideal creasing but that noise they made while doing almost nothing was OBSCENE! I was talking to Kyle on the phone when he was inspecting them and just flexing the boot by hand you could hear it over the phone lol. I should have taken some video just so y’all could have had a laugh.
*FOR THE RECORD, KYLE & BAKERS HAVE WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE THAT SITUATION RIGHT EVEN THOUGH THEY FOR REAL DID NOT HAVE TO* I need to be very clear about that because their outstanding customer service gets mentioned a lot but it’s in times like that you really have to tip your hat.

anyways - here’s the best I could muster. Pics from day 1 with an hour or 2 of wear. You can see how miserably this leather wants to break:

Such a beautiful colour though

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumors from Kyle that it's too thin for them to work with. I've asked about a custom build with it in the past

montanamike

Reaction score
There was some talk a couple months ago about different color stitching. These arrived today and are a standard build but with khaki stitching. It reminds me of the contrast stitching on a couple of my vintage Filson wool jackets which I really like.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_181904667_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200626_181904667_HDR.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 215

alset_rl

Reaction score
There was some talk a couple months ago about different color stitching. These arrived today and are a standard build but with khaki stitching. It reminds me of the contrast stitching on a couple of my vintage Filson wool jackets which I really like.

Really dig those contrast stitching! ??

paulraphael

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered White’s with cream colored lining? Is this just like light natural leather, or is it actually white/off-white?

mlwdp

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered White’s with cream colored lining? Is this just like light natural leather, or is it actually white/off-white?

My smoke jumpers that I’m selling have cream lining. It’s very white.

Attachments

• 955C7F01-2564-4D22-947F-1E844C5C488A.jpeg
    955C7F01-2564-4D22-947F-1E844C5C488A.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 194

Crossman

Reaction score
Thought I would share my new boots with the group. When selecting my options on Bakers I found this site and the Styleforum board to be very helpful in seeing all of the possible options. I chose British Tan CXL for the leather which is not a hide I see much on the sites. So it is my obligation to contribute:)

Ordering: Being my first pair of White's I send in my drawings to Kyle. After 1.5 weeks he emailed suggesting I go 8.5E left and 9E on my right. I had never noticed my feet being different sizes before. In the email he said if I wanted a matching pair to go with the 9E for L&R. I placed the order when they were saying 4-6 weeks but with the recent sale I figured it could be longer. Ended up being just over 7 weeks. (I think they're at 8 now) No big deal for me. Funny thing, I agonized about my build for weeks, constantly playing with my Baker's Shopping cart. The day came, I made my order and realized I selected all eyes and not hooks-n-eyes. I emailed Kyle and he made the change no problem.

First Impressions: I cannot find a fault with them! Leather looks great. Stitching is even all around. Seriously, not a single thing. The waxy laces are so waxy they make my hand sticky. But they look nice. The leather laces are even longer (I don't wrap around the back) and chunky. I think I'll stick with the waxy laces and hope the stickiness fades. One cautionary note I will share, some images make the Bounty Hunters look as though they can be streamlined. I see now after ordering, no matter the options you choose, this is a big boot. It's a good thing, but just set your expectations accordingly.

Sizing: I wussed out and went for the matching pair. They fit fantastically but I can now see that a 8.5E on my left would not have been a bad thing. I see people asking for sizing help with White's, seriously just trust Kyle. Follow the instructions and mail them in, they'll take care of you.

Make-up: I wanted the cuban heel because I've worn block heels all my life. Something different sounded good. These will not be used "off road" and I wanted to keep the sole as lo-pro as possible. Here's my thought process

• Option 1: leather sole - not weather safe.
  • Option 2: Half sole - for some reason an extra piece of midsole is added to the forefoot making it thicker than I think it needs to be.
  • Option 3: Toppe 1/2 sole - almost did this because of the appeal of an uninterrupted heel stack. Probably would have liked it but concerns about durability won the day.
  • Winning Option 4: Vibram 269 -"Western Sole" - Lowest option offered outside of the tope & single leather. +weather safe
Leather choice was between #8 and a brown. I figure I'll end up with #8 cordovan loafers/boots somewhere down the road and I don't care for the black tongue. Natural/ Brown/ British tan were on the list. BT won just because I think it will age nicely.

Other decisions made: rolled top and loops because it's nice to check all the boxes :) No structure in the toe because I'm a desk jockey. Crayon interior because, why not. Brass hardware because I've seen antique rub to a shine so I figured let's just start shiny.

I want to try the kilties but will it scratch the toe underneath? I really want a lace-to-toe but hard to justify another pair. Maybe a good sale around Christmas will change my mind. Thanks for all the help. Here's the pictures.
00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200626185715082_COVER.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200626185751009_COVER.jpg
00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200626185738937_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200626_160325.jpg
IMG_20200626_184701.jpg
IMG_20200626_184754.jpg

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Thought I would share my new boots with the group. When selecting my options on Bakers I found this site and the Styleforum board to be very helpful in seeing all of the possible options. I chose British Tan CXL for the leather which is not a hide I see much on the sites. So it is my obligation to contribute:)

Ordering: Being my first pair of White's I send in my drawings to Kyle. After 1.5 weeks he emailed suggesting I go 8.5E left and 9E on my right. I had never noticed my feet being different sizes before. In the email he said if I wanted a matching pair to go with the 9E for L&R. I placed the order when they were saying 4-6 weeks but with the recent sale I figured it could be longer. Ended up being just over 7 weeks. (I think they're at 8 now) No big deal for me. Funny thing, I agonized about my build for weeks, constantly playing with my Baker's Shopping cart. The day came, I made my order and realized I selected all eyes and not hooks-n-eyes. I emailed Kyle and he made the change no problem.

First Impressions: I cannot find a fault with them! Leather looks great. Stitching is even all around. Seriously, not a single thing. The waxy laces are so waxy they make my hand sticky. But they look nice. The leather laces are even longer (I don't wrap around the back) and chunky. I think I'll stick with the waxy laces and hope the stickiness fades. One cautionary note I will share, some images make the Bounty Hunters look as though they can be streamlined. I see now after ordering, no matter the options you choose, this is a big boot. It's a good thing, but just set your expectations accordingly.

Sizing: I wussed out and went for the matching pair. They fit fantastically but I can now see that a 8.5E on my left would not have been a bad thing. I see people asking for sizing help with White's, seriously just trust Kyle. Follow the instructions and mail them in, they'll take care of you.

Make-up: I wanted the cuban heel because I've worn block heels all my life. Something different sounded good. These will not be used "off road" and I wanted to keep the sole as lo-pro as possible. Here's my thought process

• Option 1: leather sole - not weather safe.
  • Option 2: Half sole - for some reason an extra piece of midsole is added to the forefoot making it thicker than I think it needs to be.
  • Option 3: Toppe 1/2 sole - almost did this because of the appeal of an uninterrupted heel stack. Probably would have liked it but concerns about durability won the day.
  • Winning Option 4: Vibram 269 -"Western Sole" - Lowest option offered outside of the tope & single leather. +weather safe
Leather choice was between #8 and a brown. I figure I'll end up with #8 cordovan loafers/boots somewhere down the road and I don't care for the black tongue. Natural/ Brown/ British tan were on the list. BT won just because I think it will age nicely.

Other decisions made: rolled top and loops because it's nice to check all the boxes :) No structure in the toe because I'm a desk jockey. Crayon interior because, why not. Brass hardware because I've seen antique rub to a shine so I figured let's just start shiny.

I want to try the kilties but will it scratch the toe underneath? I really want a lace-to-toe but hard to justify another pair. Maybe a good sale around Christmas will change my mind. Thanks for all the help. Here's the pictures.
View attachment 1413948 View attachment 1413949 View attachment 1413950 View attachment 1413951 View attachment 1413952 View attachment 1413953

Beautiful boots. I love them! The 269 sole is great; I have them on my Brit Tan SDs.

Crossman

Reaction score
I realized I left off the full build sheet. If it wasn't clear from the pictures:
Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
Counter Leather: British Tan
Toe Vamp Leather: British Tan
Upper (Shaft) Leather: British Tan
Leather Liner: Canyon/Red
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops [ $15.00 ]
Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
Toe Cap: Medallion Dress Toe Cap [ $45.00 ]
Toe Cap Leather Color: British Tan
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: All Brass Eyes
Top: Rolled Top [ $15.00 ]
Midsole: Single
Edge: Brown
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Vibram 269
Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch)
Height: 6"
Size - Length: 9Size - Width: E
Logos / Embossing: Yes - I want standard logos and embossing!​
Scroll

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads