• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was certainly a bit surprised considering how long Baker's had the boots before sending them my way, but TBH I'm not convinced I'll ever have a "perfect" pair of White's boots. If I send them back and get a different cosmetic issue in return then ultimately what's the gain?!

My first pair of SDs I returned at Kyle's (and your) suggestion because the welt stitching was so gnarly that I worried that it might turn out to be more than cosmetic. The second pair were better, but still had some cosmetic issues elsewhere that I just decided to ignore. I guess I'm at peace with this additional White's "character". Yes, it's not ideal to spend $500+ on a pair of boots and have such basic things like upper stitching look like it was done during a major earthquake drinking session, but I don't plan to baby them so eventually they'll build up various scuffs, scratches and dings that'll eclipse minor cosmetic defects like this. Call it the "White's lottery". Apparently I'm not yet a winner. It'll be interesting to see if my luck turns with the MPs that arrive later this week.

Most importantly, I can't see the dodgy stitching or puckered toe when they're on my feet so that makes it more tolerable. I actually never noticed the bad stitching until I looked at the photos I took.

Can you post some closer pictures of this stitching?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tracking my UPS driver today as he stops in every other house in Raleigh before coming to to my house at around 8:37pm tonight as his last stop.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tracking my UPS driver today as he stops in every other house in Raleigh before coming to to my house at around 8:37pm tonight as his last stop.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o6Mb2SIGAbnDiPpzW" width="480" height="366" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Sledge42

Reaction score
My UPS man won't come with boots in his hand for me until Monday.. so wear a pair for me this weekend! :cheers:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My UPS man won't come with boots in his hand for me until Monday.. so wear a pair for me this weekend! :cheers:

92 degrees today but I'm inside in AC wearing boots. Don't know how much wear I will get this weekend though. Will probably be on the boat out on the lake.

wordfool

Reaction score
Can you post some closer pictures of this stitching?

Here you go... I'm really not that bothered by it. Yes, it could be neater and more consistent, but there are still three or four rows of stitching so I'm sure the strength of construction is just fine. I am, however, thankful the stitching is black like the leather. If this had been contrast stitching it was be more of a problem. Most importantly, the welt and toecap stitching looks fine.

BHstitching.jpg
BHstitching2.jpg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go... I'm really not that bothered by it. Yes, it could be neater and more consistent, but there are still three or four rows of stitching so I'm sure the strength of construction is just fine. I am, however, thankful the stitching is black like the leather. If this had been contrast stitching it was be more of a problem. Most importantly, the welt and toecap stitching looks fine.

View attachment 1400435 View attachment 1400437

Looks like they nailed the toe cap. The upper stitching reminds me of factory seconds. I don't know if I could live with that without a discount.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That left cap would bother me more than the stitching. Both of those together, I'd probably be mentioning it to someone. I know White's is capable of super clean work.

wordfool

Reaction score
That left cap would bother me more than the stitching. Both of those together, I'd probably be mentioning it to someone. I know White's is capable of super clean work.

What about the left cap? That's the one with the rolling/puckering but it's not visible from the photos above, only from the side.

_DSC1269_sm.jpg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go... I'm really not that bothered by it. Yes, it could be neater and more consistent, but there are still three or four rows of stitching so I'm sure the strength of construction is just fine.
I cannot tell if the 4 rows are supposed to be equally spaced, or if there are supposed to be two narrow upper rows and two lower narrow rows... in any event, if they can get the three narrow rows on the counter almost perfect, what happened to the upper? I have heard rumors of "Friday Afternoon" cars... maybe you got a Friday afternoon boot?

That left cap would bother me more than the stitching.
I too see nothing wrong with the toe cap stitching, but if you mean the puckering on the side, yeah it is not ideal, but I chalk that up to the nature of working with thick leather and hand lasting... an acceptable deviation from unobtainable perfection if you will... to me that is different from an obvious QC fail like the stitching...

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The toe caps look way better than they could, let me tell you that. I've sent back pairs with notably larger disparities than that, and what you have it comparable to the best they can do from my experience. These are a non-issue in my eyes since I doubt anything better could be done. I've never had a stitching issue like that, but it's not enough to warrant a return in my mind. Ultimately, your handmade boots seems structurally sound and are visually better than a lot of what comes out of Spokane imo.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The toe caps look way better than they could, let me tell you that. I've sent back pairs with notably larger disparities than that, and what you have it comparable to the best they can do from my experience. These are a non-issue in my eyes since I doubt anything better could be done. I've never had a stitching issue like that, but it's not enough to warrant a return in my mind. Ultimately, your handmade boots seems structurally sound and are visually better than a lot of what comes out of Spokane imo.
I agree on the toe caps...

However the stitching question on that pair is a close one for me... I just find it unacceptable on a pair of boots costing $500+... especially since we know White's can do better. I would be perfectly happy with those as seconds... hey mistakes happen... but first quality?

Do we really believe that is first quality stitching from a company as storied as White's? If we do not push back on things like this... how will White's get better?

@wordfool makes a good point... if that was white contrast stitching would you feel the same way... if not, why does this get a pass just because it is black on black?

I would also think that any MP, Semi Dress, or any boot made with "dress" leather like these would have a little extra care taken in final inspection and QC... as logic dictates they are more likely to be used in casual setting where appearance is important, and less likely to be put to hard use as work boots... just a thought...

EDITED TO ADD:
I went back and looked at the pictures as sort of a gestalt view of the entire pair of boots, and I may agree slightly more with @PACostag overall the boots are "OK", and better than some... but then my eye gets drawn back to the stitching only because I know it is there... maybe my wife is right and I have OCD... I guess as long as @wordfool is happy that is all that counts!

Last edited:

montanamike

Reaction score
I have one pair with contrast stitching in process. I have a cart made with a 2nd but not clicking send today. It seems like someone would have pulled them aside as they continued on in production. While not well versed in the stations of production, there seemingly would have been be several chances to keep them in house and keep it off a web forum.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree on the toe caps...

However the stitching question on that pair is a close one for me... I just find it unacceptable on a pair of boots costing $500+... especially since we know White's can do better. I would be perfectly happy with those as seconds... hey mistakes happen... but first quality?

Do we really believe that is first quality stitching from a company as storied as White's? If we do not push back on things like this... how will White's get better?

@wordfool makes a good point... if that was white contrast stitching would you feel the same way... if not, why does this get a pass just because it is black on black?

I would also think that any MP, Semi Dress, or any boot made with "dress" leather like these would have a little extra care taken in final inspection and QC... as logic dictates they are more likely to be used in casual setting where appearance is important, and less likely to be put to hard use as work boots... just a thought...

EDITED TO ADD:
I went back and looked at the pictures as sort of a gestalt view of the entire pair of boots, and I may agree slightly more with @PACostag overall the boots are "OK", and better than some... but then my eye gets drawn back to the stitching only because I know it is there... maybe my wife is right and I have OCD... I guess as long as @wordfool is happy that is all that counts!

I do agree, better work has been done, but its also a trade-off situation - great looking caps on these, poor stitching on the side. Alternatively it could be bad looking caps and perfect stitching on the side. Looking down, i'd rather see great caps than know in my heart of hearts that the stitching on the side is spot on. If you're willing to take a gamble, send them back. You'd hear no gruff from me - I've sent back plenty. But know that in return, you could get other issues.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like someone would have pulled them aside as they continued on in production.
Seems like it does it not? Or at least is would have been caught in QC, or at Baker's... and yet see above...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads