• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
Dry tan, elk tan and dress are the same leathers. Different tanneries call them different names. Just a matter of leather weight. Dry and elk 6.5 to 7 and dress 5.5 to 6 ounces. .

Sambam can you confirm when you wrote "dress", were you referring to the current dress leathers? Are they elk and not cowhide?

paulraphael

Reaction score
Could you tell us a bit more about your intended use?

I agree with @MikeLimaPapa that natural is fine for most uses, brown dresses it up a bit. Both my black and brown edged shoes have needed redoing fairly quickly but for some reason my resolene seems to last longer than factory dressing did. Distressed Smooth is quite far from "dress" so I'd lean towards natural.

Can I ask why you are opting for a -1/4 heel, aren't these your first boots? And what makes you want to go with a straight heel? Classics are classics for a reason, I've never adjusted heel height, but I can say my curved/standard/Cuban (or however you refer to them) BH's are easier to walk in than my straight Main Streets.

I'll use them as casual boots around town, especially in the fall and winter when they'll see a lot of weather. I walk a lot. Which is why I want the lower heel. I don't find heels comfortable to walk in for long stretches. Also I'm 6 foot 3, and am not trying to be 6 foot 5! So the lower heel is important to me. I think the square heel looks better, at least when the heel is lowered.

discomute

Reaction score
I'll use them as casual boots around town, especially in the fall and winter when they'll see a lot of weather. I walk a lot. Which is why I want the lower heel. I don't find heels comfortable to walk in for long stretches. Also I'm 6 foot 3, and am not trying to be 6 foot 5! So the lower heel is important to me. I think the square heel looks better, at least when the heel is lowered.

Okay. Be aware that lowering the heel will reduce the arch support. It's my opinion that square heels throw off your gait. But I've not had a lower heel, trust could change things.

I'm 6 foot 1.5 and love to be 6'3 or 6,5

paulraphael

Reaction score
Okay. Be aware that lowering the heel will reduce the arch support. It's my opinion that square heels throw off your gait. But I've not had a lower heel, trust could change things.

I'm 6 foot 1.5 and love to be 6'3 or 6,5

I'm aware of the arch support tradeoff. This is a rather annoying design flaw. There's no good reason arch support should be tied to heel height. In other shoes (like running shoes) there's no connection between arch height and forefoot drop. But anyway. I'll live with it. The standard heel is too high for me and would be a deal breaker.

I'm fine with the gait of square heels. Every traditional hiking boot ever made had them. I suspect the undercut starts to help when heels get high, as you suggest.

wordfool

Reaction score
Burgundy horsehide is now showing on Bakers website as an option... If I was a bit more sure they wouldnt squeak, a pair of semi dress in that makeup would be a fine addition. The color and leather is stunning.

If it's any consolation my SDs (manufactured in March, before the new adhesive) have stopped squeaking -- I had a squeak in one heel for about the first 20 miles or so. Might be related to the recent increase in temp/humidity here (NE) or just that the leather finally bedded in properly (or both)

montanamike

Reaction score
If it's any consolation my SDs (manufactured in March, before the new adhesive) have stopped squeaking -- I had a squeak in one heel for about the first 20 miles or so. Might be related to the recent increase in temp/humidity here (NE) or just that the leather finally bedded in properly (or both)
Maybe I should have been more patient but mine were stunningly loud. Bakers is taking care of it so no harm no foul other than the wait. It was too bad as I went away from Whites around 20 years ago and have been using another well known brand since. I recently came back in the fold so am hoping it all works out with time. I was going to order a 2nd but the squeak put that in park for the time being.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads