• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, best to just go straight to brown?
I wouldnt say that. Just don't buy natural expecting it to turn golden. Best advice I could give you is to look at a lot of pictures and decide what you will like the best. Dont be fooled by some of the color edited photos showing Natural as golden/honey, its rare it turns out like that. Most get to be a very dark brown. Also note the heavy creasing and break.

Honestly, if you just want a brown boot (I think) there are better options than CXL.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an old pic of natural CXL bounty hunters (not mine) with some wear, though no toecap.
View attachment 1368477

See, those have the longer vamp like the Cruiser while the Cutter has the lace to toes and the different design on the sides with what I previously called a "swish". I realize on baker's web site, you can customize it so I assume if you click lace to toe and eliminate the toe cap you can get the desired look. They also have horse hide which is a nice option although most of my current boots are cordovan so I was trying to go for something a bit different (although I do understand that there is a difference).

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I wouldn’t disagree with Rymanoceros about the long run, but if you avoid treating it too much with boot grease it will go for a year or more I think recognizably different from brown CXL. I think often people make the mistake of over treating leather boots

chicken1616

Reaction score
^ I wouldn’t disagree with Rymanoceros about the long run, but if you avoid treating it too much with boot grease it will go for a year or more I think recognizably different from brown CXL. I think often people make the mistake of over treating leather boots
Do you mean with this?:
Huberd's.jpg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I needed some new yard work boots for all my stuck at home/working in the yard. What better way to test drive White's buy buying an old pair and wearing them to hell doing yard work. These are work boots after all. If I am happy with them, then I'll get something prettier to my specs and without the logo etc. I figure a decent pair of work boots cost around $150 so that is what I offered and he took it.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Well, I needed some new yard work boots for all my stuck at home/working in the yard. What better way to test drive White's buy buying an old pair and wearing them to hell doing yard work. These are work boots after all. If I am happy with them, then I'll get something prettier to my specs and without the logo etc. I figure a decent pair of work boots cost around $150 so that is what I offered and he took it.

Best way to do it. You can figure what size you really need that way, also

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been using all Saphir products for years and have seen little to no darkening. I have a pair of shearling lined BB British tan boots that I have worn through a few winters since I bought them in 2011 or so, they are pretty much the same color except for the soles which could use some darkening.

chicken1616

Reaction score
I have been using all Saphir products for years and have seen little to no darkening. I have a pair of shearling lined BB British tan boots that I have worn through a few winters since I bought them in 2011 or so, they are pretty much the same color except for the soles which could use some darkening.
Yes. I was just kidding with the Huberd's. Old joke. I use Saphir products, along with Obenauf's on my White's.

chicken1616

Reaction score
In all seriousness, it really depends on the usage of the boots, as to what you treat them with, and how often.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QQ - anyone have a makeup in waxed flesh (any color and any last) with a soft toe and no toe cap? Mine are all cap toed, so the vamp doesn't really bend all that much, which helps maintain the wax. Curious how a pair of waxed flesh without toe caps looks

miggyramone

Reaction score
We're going to have kinks to work out but it's live! We will be doing more of an "official launch" late next week. Hope you guys enjoy .... Thank you!
Nice! I noticed it didn't recognize my login. Do you have to create a new account for the new site?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads