• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
20200403_210052.jpg

Kyle has told me that's it not that hard to dye your white thread brown with resolene. Well half of these have been done. It doesn't really work. Not that I really care, I was just curious how it would go if I was to try it on some more dress boots in the future.

sambam

Reaction score
Not any more, at least for Bounty Hunters where I see no WF options at all. There are some WF options for the MP, but currently not black. I assume it's only a periodic option.
This is what we have in waxed flesh colors. Plenty in stock of all of them. You can use this leather in any White's hand sewn.
semi dress, 350's (Bounty Hunter), Engineer's, packers any height smokejumper, etc. Just let Kyle know.

1. Olive
2. Cinnamon
3. Natural
4. Dark Brown
5. Black

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Any of you gents have any IRL pics of the Stockmans (Stockmen?)?

As requested, here are some photos of the Stockman, with some comparisons to other boots just for fun.
Boot toes (2).jpg

Top: Stockman, 55 last, standard trim
Packer, 690 last, close trim
Packer, 690 last, standard trim
Packer, 690 last, insulated, bought in 2003 and showing some age!
Hathorn packer, older boot bought used, uncertain of last but has pointed toe for comparison (695, maybe?)

Boot toes (1).jpg

Boot toes:
Top, Hathorn Packer pointed toe
Standard Packer
Stockman
(Note that the camera angle makes the Stockman toe look a little broader than the Packer, but they are very close in configuration, excluding the difference in the welt trim)

PackerStockman.jpg

Biggest difference between the Packer (left) and Stockman (right) is the heel height and shape. Stockman is lower and broader, better for heavier work, twisting/turning, etc. Packer heel and last is more comfortable to me for light wear and walking (but I like higher heels and arch support).

Side (1).jpg

Stockman side view

Soles (1).jpg

Stockman mini-Vibram sole and heel. This is the stock configuration - not sure why they don't use the Quabaug heel on these.

More to follow in next post...

Attachments

• Boot toes (2).jpg
    Boot toes (2).jpg
    407 KB · Views: 214

LeviMay

Reaction score
I thought they looked tall. That makes more sense. Thanks again!

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of ordering a pair in olive waxed

do you have pics?

thanks
I’m also looking for more pictures of Olive WF in the wild. I am considering Dark Brown WF too, and would be interested to see a well-worn pair in this leather.

Comparing several similar-looking models from the White’s website I am curious what differences are responsible for the large gaps in pricing.

8” Stockman - $429.95 - 55 last
8” Farmer/Rancher - $519.95 - 4811 last
6” 350 Cruiser - $569.95 - 55 last

Is the price difference due to the quality of leather used? Construction looks to be the same, and heel profiles and outsoles are similar.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
What leather are those? Any comments on the various leathers?

All the brown boots except possibly the Hathorn packers are brown smooth oil tan, the black boots are also smooth oil tan. I'm not absolutely certain what the Hathorns are. That's all I've ever had (except for one pair of red dog) up to a couple of weeks ago when I got a pair of smoke jumpers in distressed smooth. I love the color of the distressed, but am still trying to decide if I like the leather for work boots since it is much softer and seems less water-resistant than the oil tan leathers. Folks here have assured me it'll be fine, so I'm optimistic.

I haven't owned any leathers except those. The oil tan makes a great work boot!

motojobobo

Reaction score
All the brown boots except possibly the Hathorn packers are brown smooth oil tan, the black boots are also smooth oil tan. I'm not absolutely certain what the Hathorns are. That's all I've ever had (except for one pair of red dog) up to a couple of weeks ago when I got a pair of smoke jumpers in distressed smooth. I love the color of the distressed, but am still trying to decide if I like the leather for work boots since it is much softer and seems less water-resistant than the oil tan leathers. Folks here have assured me it'll be fine, so I'm optimistic.

Thank you for the pics and comments woodtroll, very useful for me too. I’m looking to get a pair of packers on the 690 last. Not very often seen here. Seeing the two welt trims side by side was especially timely. ????

Sledge42

Reaction score
I was thinking of ordering a pair in olive waxed

do you have pics?

thanks
@Nilel Sure do:

Whaley

Reaction score
Saw some people asking about waxed flesh patina. These are brown waxed flesh on my wife’s 350 Crusiers with a full lug sole. About 3 months on these. She wears them any time we do backpacking trips for the ankle support. Heavy as hell but she won’t use anything else.

Attachments

• 77C3A793-61C7-45EB-808F-C05520AA727C.jpeg
    77C3A793-61C7-45EB-808F-C05520AA727C.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 566A9363-2F1D-42A0-93B3-F5D1537AF606.jpeg
    566A9363-2F1D-42A0-93B3-F5D1537AF606.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 2B7352ED-6198-46ED-B74F-49553379959B.jpeg
    2B7352ED-6198-46ED-B74F-49553379959B.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 234

paulraphael

Reaction score

They look great. Others have reported that this leather darkens to the point of almost looking black after a while, but yours look about like the web pictures. How much wear have these had, and what if anything have you done to condition / waterproof?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads